TV Home Forum

Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows

Several talk programmes have cancelled studio audiences (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
Jonwo posted:
Only Connect had a simple solution to film with social distancing which has been on other shows, perplex glass between the contestants. I would assume that'll be the solution for University Challenge when they film their next block of episodes if they haven't done so already.

Will be interesting to see what Mastermind comes up with, I suspect it'll just be the contestants not being close together which if they have no audience is pretty easy to do.

It will be interesting to see if the perspex stays when there are contestants who are married
JO
Jonwo
Jonwo posted:
Only Connect had a simple solution to film with social distancing which has been on other shows, perplex glass between the contestants. I would assume that'll be the solution for University Challenge when they film their next block of episodes if they haven't done so already.

Will be interesting to see what Mastermind comes up with, I suspect it'll just be the contestants not being close together which if they have no audience is pretty easy to do.

It will be interesting to see if the perspex stays when there are contestants who are married

I assume they'd keep the Perspex for continuity purposes.
JK
JKDerry
Jonwo posted:
Jonwo posted:

I assume they'd keep the Perspex for continuity purposes.

Since they record a number of episodes per day, I feel the screens will be kept for the whole run of the series.
PE
Peter
I was part of a News Quiz recording with an audience at home using the mic on their computer and whilst not as good as a live audience it worked ok. I don't see why this couldn't be extended to television shows. You could have a subset of the audience on a Zoom conference and play briefly show an view of 25 listeners on a couple of occasions (you might need to make a few changes in post production) if you wanted, but you could certainly use the same approach for audience reaction on a tv show.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
A League of Their Own and Britain's Got Talent have both apparently used this kind of technique. Whether they overdub canned applause as well I don't know.
JO
Johnr
Britains Got Talent have just broadcast a very non socially distanced magic act!
WL
W1LL
The episode of Casualty that was pulled earlier this year is airing tonight. Lots of references to locking down and another to doctors not having adequate PPE. A wise choice at the time to pull it.
AS
AlexS
Scrrens
W1LL posted:
The episode of Casualty that was pulled earlier this year is airing tonight. Lots of references to locking down and another to doctors not having adequate PPE. A wise choice at the time to pull it.

Also a cameo from Simon McCoy with what looked like the current News Channel graphics in a different font (although I suppose at least the clock was showing 15:34 so it would have been during his shift if it was a real incident).
Last edited by AlexS on 26 September 2020 10:18pm
DA
davidhorman
W1LL posted:

And in a 2:1/18:9 ratio for some reason. I wonder if that's because it's meant to be an especially dramatic episode or to separate it a bit from the linear run. Bit of a pointless affectation in general, if you ask me - barely wider than 16:9 (more like 17:9 on a telly with default overscan) and solely for the purpose of giving the picture black bars that I can only assume are meant to make you think it looks "expensive".
JA
james-2001
It's no different to sticking the film look on everything, and Casualty was the sort of show which worked better without that as well.
DA
davidhorman
It's no different to sticking the film look on everything, and Casualty was the sort of show which worked better without that as well.

I'd say film look is a different case, more of a qualitative change than a quantitative one. It was a bit jarring when they changed - and as I recall they didn't really change anything else about the way it was shot at that time - these days it's also shot in a more filmy way so if they just changed back to video rates it'd probably be just as weird.
JO
Jonwo

I'd say film look is a different case, more of a qualitative change than a quantitative one. It was a bit jarring when they changed - and as I recall they didn't really change anything else about the way it was shot at that time - these days it's also shot in a more filmy way so if they just changed back to video rates it'd probably be just as weird.

The film look was a bit jarring for shows like Casualty, Neighbours etc a decade or more ago but now it works really well.

Newer posts