The Newsroom

GB News

Andrews's Express Article - Page 38 (September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jon
Jon posted:

I do wonder what the idea is behind GB News, which is an awful name.

I think that’s my initial reaction as well. But we’ve kind of instantly accepted it as the brand and I’m not quite sure what else they could call that would do the job they want it to do and be instantly memorable. ‘Viewpoint’ could work but I think that’s already taken.

"Clarion" would be my choice.

Not sure if that’s a joke. But I’m not sure that the target audience would know what it means.
OM
Omnipresent
For the record, from what I've heard of Times Radio it's output is quite moderate. It's certainly not in the same league as LBC or Talk Radio.

Although some presenters like Stig Abell and Tom Newton Dunn have worked at The Sun their own personal political views are closer to centre. Tom Newton Dunn was the Sun's political editor, but himself supported Remain. Presenters like Cathy Newman or Ayesha Hazarika are hardly right wing.

Matt Chorley has impressed many with his morning show and is someone the BBC should be keeping an eye on.
JO
Jon
Ironically talkSPORT's output is fairly run of the mill, especially on issues like mental health, homosexuality and racism in sport.

Of course in the early day of talkSPORT it had news based programming which had a similar angle to what talkRADIO does now.
TV
TVViewer256
For the record, from what I've heard of Times Radio it's output is quite moderate. It's certainly not in the same league as LBC or Talk Radio.

Although some presenters like Stig Abell and Tom Newton Dunn have worked at The Sun their own personal political views are closer to centre. Tom Newton Dunn was the Sun's political editor, but himself supported Remain. Presenters like Cathy Newman or Ayesha Hazarika are hardly right wing.

Matt Chorley has impressed many with his morning show and is someone the BBC should be keeping an eye on.

I agree - even the presenters with a known bias have been very good at keeping a balance in debates and interviews.
JO
Jon

Yes, Times Radio is quite a good listen and quite balanced.
MI
Michael
It's almost as if they realised that it's best not to alienate over 50% of your potential audience
IS
Inspector Sands
Jon posted:

Of course in the early day of talkSPORT it had news based programming which had a similar angle to what talkRADIO does now.

That's because TalkSport was originally Talk Radio.

Talk Radio (originally launched as Talk Radio UK) launched a spin off online station called Talk Sport*. Then after it was taken over the main station gradually became more sport based until eventually the name was changed to TalkSport. Then the last non-sport programming disappeared.

Spin forward many years and under new ownership they brought back the TalkRadio name and launched a new non-sport station.

*which is why their URL for many years was talksport.net
JO
Jon
Jon posted:

That's because TalkSport was originally Talk Radio.

Talk Radio (originally launched as Talk Radio UK) launched a spin off online station called Talk Sport*. Then after it was taken over the main station gradually became more sport based until eventually the name was changed to TalkSport. Then the last non-sport programming disappeared.

Although talkSPORT had many hours of non sport programming for many years after it became talkSPORT with people like Mike Dickin, Tommy Boyd and James Whale. Didn’t know about the online station.
NL
Ne1L C
Jon posted:
Jon posted:
I think that’s my initial reaction as well. But we’ve kind of instantly accepted it as the brand and I’m not quite sure what else they could call that would do the job they want it to do and be instantly memorable. ‘Viewpoint’ could work but I think that’s already taken.

"Clarion" would be my choice.

Not sure if that’s a joke. But I’m not sure that the target audience would know what it means.

Its a joke Very Happy
LL
London Lite Founding member
If it wasn't for Discovery being one of the backers of this set-up and Andrew Neil coming on board, Arise News would have sprung to mind.

I don't share TheSebastian's enthusiasm for the channel catching up with Sky News at least on a linear level. It may make some headway with the target audience online with clips on social media where those who are ardent pro-Brexit and anti-mask have thrived.

However despite who they're targeting, it'll be interesting to see if GB News can make the talkRADIO editorial style of news into the mainstream as competition for Sky News and the NC or if it'll be another RT, where it has a niche audience of anti-establishment and conspiracy theorist viewers who take in the editorial that suits the Russian Government perspective.

If former BBC/ITV regional reporter Anna Brees gets a gig on GB (she's been a guest on RT on occasion), who has rebranded herself as giving herself a voice to those the supposed MSM don't give one too, such as conspiracy theorists (especially anti maskers) and alleged victims of child abuse by celebs or in homes in the 60s/70s/80s, we may get an idea of where they're going. The journalist has also been given a pasting on Private Eye.
Night Thoughts and valley gave kudos
VA
valley
Quote:
Removed

I guess it comes down to whether GB News is trying to be a rolling news channel (it seems like it doesn’t) or a more views-led channel (which is the impression I’ve got). The former is much more expensive to run than the latter.

Also, ratings are not particularly helpful for rolling news channels - other than News at Ten / Press Preview you can hardly call anything else on Sky News appointment to view television. Same on BBC News. People dip in and out throughout the day, particularly during breaking news, and might sit down to watch a flagship bulletin. Weekend breakfast bulletins will get more viewers by virtue of the fact that more people are around at 9am to watch a programme on the weekend versus during the week.

Twitter / social media clips don’t make you money directly (other than running ads on YouTube), but drives viewers to watch programming.
JA
james-2001
Paul Dacre's going to be the new chairman of Ofcom, I guess that means impartiality rules will be totally out the window and this channel will be able to broadcast what it really wants.

Newer posts