Mass Media & Technology

Britbox UK - UK SVoD Platform.

£5.99 per month - Platform now live. (February 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IT
IndigoTucker
The original Survivors series as well!

Up to episode 4!

The later episodes of S1, and all of S2/3 are the most beautiful 70s OB, that fits with the bleak, empty world beautifully. Not Britbox’s best attribute, but enjoy!
JO
johnnyboy Founding member

Up to episode 4!

The later episodes of S1, and all of S2/3 are the most beautiful 70s OB, that fits with the bleak, empty world beautifully. Not Britbox’s best attribute, but enjoy!

I loved the 2008/9 remake of the series and I often wondered what the original was like.

Not disappointed at all - very enjoyable and probably slightly superior to the remake.

I love the fact it's so dialogue led, much more so than the slightly more action-orientated remake.
IT
IndigoTucker
Glad you love it, it’s cracking stuff, dark as hell too!
MI
Michael
Gotta say I'm impressed with my BritBox experience so far. May have to stick all my DVDs in the attic. Wish there was a better browsing option rather than just seek-and-ye-shall-find mind.

Wonder what the sources for the prints are. The first episode of Yes Minister uses the Big Ben theme rather than original theme.
NG
noggin Founding member

Up to episode 4!

Have they upgraded BritBox to 720p50 or 1080p50 give you the full 50Hz motion on OB and studio video - or is it still a juddery film-effect mess at 720p25 or 1080p25? ITV Hub have upgraded to p50, and they are providing the back-end for BritBox (not iPlayer) so I hope that BritBox has upgraded too. If they have I'll consider a trial sub...
JO
johnnyboy Founding member
Gotta say I'm impressed with my BritBox experience so far. May have to stick all my DVDs in the attic. Wish there was a better browsing option rather than just seek-and-ye-shall-find mind.

Wonder what the sources for the prints are. The first episode of Yes Minister uses the Big Ben theme rather than original theme.

It's very close to being indispensable.

I hope they continue to beef up the offering including deep dives into some of the more obscure archive. I love the archive section on iPlayer.
PL
Plektrum
I took out a 6 month free trial via EE just for the sake of it yet finding myself surprisingly impressed by what’s being added over the last few months...

https://www.itv.com/presscentre/britbox/press-releases/britbox-october-2020-highlights

Next month they’re adding a host of Hammer Horror movies and the Hammer House of Horror tv show... looking forward to getting stuck into some of those and it’s this sort of stuff alongside the recent additions like The Prisoner and The Avengers which is really making this service stand out.
Alfie Mulcahy and London Lite gave kudos
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
I took out a 6 month free trial via EE just for the sake of it yet finding myself surprisingly impressed by what’s being added over the last few months...

https://www.itv.com/presscentre/britbox/press-releases/britbox-october-2020-highlights

Next month they’re adding a host of Hammer Horror movies and the Hammer House of Horror tv show... looking forward to getting stuck into some of those and it’s this sort of stuff alongside the recent additions like The Prisoner and The Avengers which is really making this service stand out.

Yeah. I did it for the classic Doctor Who episodes and shows like 'Yes, Minister', 'Fawlty Towers' etc.
NW
nwtv2003
I too took the 6 month free trial through EE and I’m going to stick with it, I’m impressed with the vast archive and it seems to be ever growing. I’ve recently ditched Sky for BT TV, as I found myself only watching Sport and FTA, but I’m glad BritBox is on BT TV, as it’s a perfect replacement in lieu of not having access to Gold anymore.
CO
commseng
I've been impressed with some of the obscure stuff too. Old World in Actions which are a real historical record now for example.
More of that would be good from all the broadcasters, I imagine the rights to those wouldn't be prohibitively high - although the number of views would be correspondingly low?
LL
London Lite Founding member
I've been impressed with some of the obscure stuff too. Old World in Actions which are a real historical record now for example.
More of that would be good from all the broadcasters, I imagine the rights to those wouldn't be prohibitively high - although the number of views would be correspondingly low?

I've enjoyed watching those on Britbox as well. Would be great if they also got The Cook Report as well, a few VHS recordings are on YouTube.
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
I too took the 6 month free trial through EE and I’m going to stick with it, I’m impressed with the vast archive and it seems to be ever growing. I’ve recently ditched Sky for BT TV, as I found myself only watching Sport and FTA, but I’m glad BritBox is on BT TV, as it’s a perfect replacement in lieu of not having access to Gold anymore.

I think BT TV overall has a brillaint service. Underappreciated I reakon.

Also their YouView remote control is one of the nicest and most functional remotes I've ever seen. I can't think of a single one better.
Last edited by Alfie Mulcahy on 27 September 2020 10:37pm

Newer posts