The Newsroom

GB News

Andrews's Express Article - Page 38 (September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jon
I am really enjoying Times Radio at the mo. Wonder if this might reflect some of its approach in TV format.

I’m not sure if you were linking the two or not, but GB News, isn’t the News Group offering that’s been reported.
Cando and bilky asko gave kudos
JC
JCB
He says it won't be Fox News but that's exactly what the people who are cheering this on are wanting.
JO
Jon
Certainly seeing that GB News are trying to market themselves not as a Fox News-style broadcaster, but one that brings 'balance'.

To be fair, the isn’t ‘fair and balanced’ exactly how Fox News market themselves? Though I don’t going to be Fox News UK for many reasons

I think most people would think their own political views are balanced though wherever they are on the spectrum.
JC
JCB
Certainly seeing that GB News are trying to market themselves not as a Fox News-style broadcaster, but one that brings 'balance'.

But that is how Fox News sees themselves.
BB
BBI45
I think it'll be interesting to see how it goes. If it ends up like either Times Radio or some of the French news channels, then I could see it working.

If it heads down the Fox News route, then I'm not sure how it'd go down. Especially not given the high standards that TV news are held to.
JC
JCB
BBI45 posted:
I think it'll be interesting to see how it goes. If it ends up like either Times Radio or some of the French news channels, then I could see it working.

I think even Times Radio is too balanced for the anit woke brigade.
BR
Brekkie

Remember Fox News consider themselves "fair and balanced" as well.
JA
james-2001
I'm sure the Daily Express do as well.
OM
Omnipresent
This is not the first, and it won't be the last, time the BBC has lost one of its best presenters because of poor handling of talent.

You can hardly blame him for losing patience when his regular programmes were axed. Of course, the blame for this partly falls on huge budget cuts imposed on the BBC by the government.

I remember when Andrew started his first shows. I think one of the first were "The Midnight Hour" on BBC2 and "The Andrew Neil Show" simulcast on BBC2 and BBC World three times a week in the afternoon in the mid 1990s.

(Never mind Francis Rossi, look at the opening titles!)

As for GB News, it will need generous supporters in the current advertising environment.
Last edited by Omnipresent on 25 September 2020 9:27pm - 3 times in total
BR
Brekkie
Oh no, I think in the case of Andrew Neil he is a talent that probably couldn't be managed. Frankly once This Week went there was nothing for him - he makes out his BBC2 Andrew Neil show was this long running thing but in truth it ran for one series which mainly were leaders interviews for the election, which would happen anyway. And Politics Live continues, just without him.

He may have been at the BBC for 25 years but he hasn't been a key figure for all that period. Indeed he's only been involved in election night in a more significant role since 2015, and that's only due to Paxman quitting. He may have had another role in 2010 but prior to that he often used to crop up on ITV on election night despite most his other work being at the BBC, which I always felt was a bit odd.
Night Thoughts and tightrope78 gave kudos
JO
johnnyboy Founding member
Jon posted:
I am really enjoying Times Radio at the mo. Wonder if this might reflect some of its approach in TV format.

I’m not sure if you were linking the two or not, but GB News, isn’t the News Group offering that’s been reported.

Understood and I knew this but thanks for pointing that out to other members who may not have known.

I dunno whether Times Radio has been a success of not but I enjoy it and I'd be interested to see a TV version of it particularly with the support of 100 or so journos.
MD
mdtauk
FT Headline
Andrew Neil to lead new right-leaning UK TV news channel

Guardian Headline
Rivals plan Fox News-style opinionated TV station in UK

iNews Headlines
Andrew Neil departs BBC to set up right-leaning rival channel GB News
Former Downing Street aide to launch 'Fox News-style' news channel in bid to challenge BBC

Daily Mail Headline
Race to bring a US-style TV news service to Britain

Daily Express Headline
End of BBC? Former No 10 advisor launches rival TV station to take on ‘woke’ corporation

BBC News Headline
Andrew Neil to leave the BBC 'with heavy heart'

So there seems to be a consensus that it is to be Right leaning, or at least willing to allow Hard Right commentators, and despite the denial of it being a Fox News style channel, that is the fear. Sky News' The Pledge, LBC, and TalkRadio seem to be the template, and looking at Andrew Neil's editorship of the Spectator, he will likely give equal air time to the Right/far Right, as well as the Moderates and the Left.

But wont weigh up the harm or good that could be done by allowing the airing of controversial or hateful views and opinions.
AndrewPSSP, BBI45 and tightrope78 gave kudos

Newer posts