Media Websites

TV Forum: New for (the middle of) 2020

(June 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Josh
I don't know for certain but could a mistake like that be overturned and the thread be unlocked or is it permanently locked forever?
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Josh posted:
I don't know for certain but could a mistake like that be overturned and the thread be unlocked or is it permanently locked forever?

Admin and (I dare say) Mods can normally lock and unlock threads until the cows come home. Whether they want to or have a need to is another matter.
AS
Asa Admin
I mean this just goes to show the varying opinions on how best to do all this. I'm trying a balancing act of encouraging people to create new threads (or seek out existing ones) at a time when I'm still seeing lots of posts go in generic ones.

Have you noticed everything has been quiet on the GMB front in terms of mundane talk since the generic thread was closed? Surely that's a positive thing?

I'll reopen the C4 thread but if people are going to use it for posts that really should go elsewhere, I'll have to close it.
DW
DavidWhitfield
Asa posted:
Have you noticed everything has been quiet on the GMB front in terms of mundane talk since the generic thread was closed?

Well, respectfully, Asa, this is hardly a surprise since you abruptly closed the only outlet for general discussion of GMB that we had.

Clearly a fair number of people here didn't like that thread, but the fact that it had no fewer than 146 pages of posts at the time of you closing it shows that a lot of other people did enjoy using that general thread to discuss the programme and now feel punished.

I still fail to understand why the people who enjoy talking about This Morning can do so to their heart's content, but the people who want to talk about the show that airs four hours earlier on the same channel cannot.

I don't understand this 'isn't it a triumph that the GMB thread is gone now?' attitude. If there's a thread that doesn't interest me, I just don't look at that thread. I wouldn't want the thread shut down because I don't personally take any interest in the discussion.

This site is surely in the 0.000000001% of websites online where this kind of discussion should be welcome/relevant. ... But apparently it's not?

I understand that you can't please everyone but... I just don't get it.
Last edited by DavidWhitfield on 25 September 2020 2:55pm - 2 times in total
LE
Lester Founding member
Totally agree with this. If you ban one thread about a tv show where the discussion isn't about its presentation 100% of the time then you should do it to the others, which would leave about 5 threads left on this site.

It's become fashionable to use the GMB thread as an example of 'what we don't want' on Metropol along with using that site to bitch about people they don't like on this site, childish.
PE
Pete Founding member
It's become fashionable to use the GMB thread as an example of 'what we don't want' on Metropol along with using that site to bitch about people they don't like on this site, childish.

"become fashionable"? The TV Forum Watch News and Information Board thread celebrates its 14th birthday in three weeks time.
PE
Pete Founding member
Well, respectfully, Asa, this is hardly a surprise since you abruptly closed the only outlet for general discussion of GMB that we had.

I have learned more about the current presentation of GMB in the past two weeks than I had in years since that thread closed. There is no ban on opening a new thread whenever something interesting (like the split screens) happens.
BA
bilky asko
This site is surely in the 0.000000001% of websites online where this kind of discussion should be welcome/relevant. ... But apparently it's not?

No, because as you say yourself it was a programme discussion thread. That is what Digital Spy is for.

Television Forum is for the presentation side of things - the recruitment of a black voiceover artist for the start of the programme would be a perfectly fine thread to start, for example.

Discussing Piers's latest ratings tweet, playing at HR by discussing the minutiae of rotas, making posts when another Express clickbait article appears... it's hardly within the remit of the site.

The changes to Good Morning Britain's presentation aren't happening so fast that it needs a dedicated catch-all thread. And actually interesting or important stuff gets lost in those kinds of threads.
AS
Asa Admin
For reasons unbeknown, the GMB (and previous ITV breakfast) threads on here have been particularly tedious in a lot of the discussion in there. Not sure why but other programmes have tended to get away more lightly.

I completely agree with the 'don't read the thread if you're not interested' argument. It's something I've tried to say many times. However, the reality is many people probably do have an interest in GMB, particularly as it's one that regularly tweaks its presentation. But they don't want to have to wade through endless posts to find out about it.

No-one is being "punished" for closing the thread but if it makes people think just that little bit harder about how interesting a point really is, that's good. If GMB do something and you want to talk about it, simply create a topic.

And as to Metropol, at least you're not the person running the site they're forever criticising Laughing
LV
LondonViewer
Asa posted:

Interesting. Maybe some rose tinted glasses over the quality of threads/topics back in the day.
DavidWhitfield and Brekkie gave kudos
DO
dosxuk
I wonder how many threads we can mention that Andrew Neil is leaving the BBC in? Confused
NL
Ne1L C
Be careful. Someone may consider that a challenge.

Newer posts