TV Home Forum

Steph's Packed Lunch

Weekdays at 12.30 (September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
God bless whoever's having to spin these figures into looking good.
JK
JKDerry
I am shocked at how bad the ratings are. I never thought a programme could be such a disaster ratings wise, but since you are up against Loose Women and the news on the other channels, I am still amazed. She is getting the same figures Richard and Judy got when they left Channel 4 in 2008 and moved to the satellite/cable channel Watch now known as W.
AN
Andrew Founding member
The show has looked better this week. They even had Dean Dunham on the show Monday, he's top drawer when it comes to consumer law advice. He has his own weekly show on LBC radio and usually appears on the likes of ITV This Morning, so I was surprised to see him on there. Hopefully they will retain him long term. Ainsley Harriot was also brilliant on Monday. If they get more like these two the show may just may work out

That sums it up though, they are using the same faces that appear on This Morning, so whats the usp?
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
Catching the last 10 minutes or so yesterday whilst off work I thought the programme seemed reasonable. Chances are as the months go on it'll evolve somewhat, a bit like how The One Show and other programmes have over time.
JK
JKDerry
Catching the last 10 minutes or so yesterday whilst off work I thought the programme seemed reasonable. Chances are as the months go on it'll evolve somewhat, a bit like how The One Show and other programmes have over time.

If Channel 4 give it the time to evolve. That is the big question. It seems in this era, programmes are never given enough time to build an audience, change format, tweak problems and bed in. Howard Stern mentioned this about US talk shows, when James Corden took over from Craig Ferguson as host of The Late Late Show in 2015, they had a go at him for being unknown, and not Craig Ferguson - Howard said, you have to let these shows bed in, give them time. However it does seem some broadcasters want immediate success, otherwise they bin it.
BR
Brekkie
James Corden though was pretty much a hit, critically at least, from the very first week.

I suspect Steph will remain in pretty much the same slot until Christmas, though surely they need to cut it to an hour. I'd go back to a Noon start myself then bring in hour long Come Dine with Me or similar before Countdown. Moving to 3pm after Christmas might be a last roll of the dice but really if it's a flop it's a flop. Probably time to pull the Richardsons pilot out of the bin.

P.S. The Big Breakfast with Mo Gilligan and Steph McGovern - could that work?
Last edited by Brekkie on 25 September 2020 1:03pm
JO
Johnr
Could be an issue from next week with Leeds having a local lockdown just announced, are the 'lunch mates' technically seperate household (bubbles) meeting indoors?
JK
JKDerry
James Corden though was pretty much a hit, critically at least, from the very first week.

I suspect Steph will remain in pretty much the same slot until Christmas, though surely they need to cut it to an hour. I'd go back to a Noon start myself then bring in hour long Come Dine with Me or similar before Countdown. Moving to 3pm after Christmas might be a last roll of the dice but really if it's a flop it's a flop. Probably time to pull the Richardsons pilot out of the bin.

Would they ever consider moving her to 5.00pm and try to restart the 5pm teatime chat shows they used to do with Richard and Judy and Paul O'Grady, or will that just make it worse, going up against Pointless and The Chase?
GO
gottago

Would they ever consider moving her to 5.00pm and try to restart the 5pm teatime chat shows they used to do with Richard and Judy and Paul O'Grady, or will that just make it worse, going up against Pointless and The Chase?

No that would be commercial suicide.
ET
ethanh05

As would scheduling it against Loose Women.
GO
gottago

As would scheduling it against Loose Women.

A bit different in that the Steph Show replaced a C4 slot filled with repeats, moving it to 5pm would involve replacing new shows that rate reasonably well. It would lose them a lot more money there than it does in its current slot.
JK
JKDerry
I used to enjoy the 5pm chat shows on Channel 4, Paul O'Grady was the perfect tonic for me, coming home after work, switching on his show, and he would moan about life, and had some good guests on, it was just pitch perfect for 5pm. Shame they abandoned that format for 5pm when he left in 2009.

Newer posts