TV Home Forum

ITV HD Regions on Freeview

(September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
I noticed this morning (at 06:15hrs) the regional news opt in GMB on my locally received version of ITV HD was the Meridian South version. Up until now we've had the South East version instead. (As do people in the Anglia area)

Have ITV got Atos/BBC to buy more codecs and glue for the CCM centres, or was it just a cock up ?

Anyone else getting a more appropriate region than before on ITV HD ?
Last edited by Markymark on 25 September 2020 9:17am
MA
Meridian AM
I noticed this morning (at 06:15hrs) the regional news opt in GMB on my locally received version of ITV HD was the Meridian South version. Up until now we've had the South East version instead. (As do people in the Anglia area)

Have ITV got Atos/BBC to buy more codecs and glue for the CCM centres, or was it just a cock up ?

No, I still have Meridian South SD on 103 and South East in HD on 176, unfortunately.
MA
Markymark

No, I still have Meridian South SD on 103 and South East in HD on 176, unfortunately.

Ah, yes, I should have said this is via Freeview (I've just edited the Title)
IS
Inspector Sands

Atos haven't been involved in the broadcast side of things for about 4 years.

I didn't think there was more than one ITV Meridian HD, I thought everyone got the same thing. If so it presumably was ITV putting the wrong news bulletin on their output
MA
Meridian AM
Just out of curiosity, why is it South East in HD and not South? Is there a reason that sub-region was chosen?
I thought the chosen HD region would make more sense to be the one that has the higher population - like Central West is HD, rather than Central East. Meridian South covers a larger area than South East and often merges bulletins and weather with Thames Valley.
Or did they choose Meridian South East to be HD because of the people in Anglia who have to receive it and South East is closer to them?
MA
Markymark

Atos haven't been involved in the broadcast side of things for about 4 years.

I didn't think there was more than one ITV Meridian HD, I thought everyone got the same thing. If so it presumably was ITV putting the wrong news bulletin on their output

Well, that's the purpose of starting the thread. Is it a cock up, or have more DTT ITV HD regions been created ? All the ITV news studios output back to Chiswick and Leeds a native HD signal, the only impediment to everyone getting the correct region in HD on Freeview are the amount of different versions of the PSB 3 mux the Beeb push out.
IS
Inspector Sands
I'd have thought it's a playout thing, if they were introducing new HD regions they'd do the full regions first surely

So, everyone who gets Meridian HD - which is everyone from Penzance to Great Yarmouth(?) gets the south east news version?
OV
Orry Verducci
I can't speak for Freeview, but currently on satellite ITV are testing more regions in HD, including Meridian South.

It may be that now ITV are playing out Meridian South in HD that they've decided to feed South to Freeview instead of South East.
HT
HTV Best
I'd have thought it's a playout thing, if they were introducing new HD regions they'd do the full regions first surely

So, everyone who gets Meridian HD - which is everyone from Penzance to Great Yarmouth(?) gets the south east news version?

ITV West Country get HD News from Birmingham.
MA
Meridian AM

Which is my question - why not at least make Meridian South the HD sub-region? It is closer to the West Country than South East.
South serves a bigger population than South East.
There is such a high amount of news overlap on South and South East, anyway, especially around W/E Sussex (Brighton, Gatwick, etc).
IS
Inspector Sands

I think that's even worse. News about Dudley in Truro must be odd
MA
Markymark

On Freeview yes, but on Satellite I think they now get West Country ? I think (ironically) there are more ITV HD regions on Satellite than Freeview, which points back to the BBC's PSB 3 CCM as being the 'bottleneck' ?

I count 12 ITV HD regions here
https://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2E-2F-2G.html

Newer posts