The Newsroom

Coronavirus | Television News Coverage

(February 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
I'm guessing the lack of any opening title screen doesn't help, Boris just fades up.

They probably should have some sort of picture of number 10 or something, so the channel controllers could hold on that for a moment
BR
Brekkie
I note that Northern Ireland's first and deputy first ministers were the only ones to do their statements live. The NI controllers deciding to give Mark Carruthers the 20-second in-vision continuity slot with a slightly uncomfortable pan before he started speaking.

One thing I noticed on the NI statement yesterday was the use of two sign language interpreters - I'm guessing Irish sign language is different to BSL then?
SC
scottishtv Founding member
I've put some screencaps of the BBC Scotland News Special in another thread, to save clogging up this one.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Oh my god, more confused people on the Ten that were not worth the air time, confused that McDonalds was half price last month, but now they have to close at 10pm

Thankfully someone’s tweeted it, I mean in what way did this make tonight’s BBC News at Ten stronger, is this the best they managed to get on the streets of Reading

I know people won’t agree, but I do think constantly going down this road night after night helps justifying confusion and reinforce the idea that people shouldn’t comply with the rules
Last edited by Andrew on 22 September 2020 10:27pm
SC
scottishtv Founding member
I admit I did laugh when I saw her on the news, but her conclusion "it's just not making sense to me" is a perfectly valid view. They also featured a businessman who didn't think the government's messaging was clear enough, and a frustrated bar worker worried about fresh economic uncertainty.
FC
FrancesC
Does BBC One join the News Channel feed tonight instead of News TX1? BBC One has a ticker, which was not shown in March and May.

It seems so as they opted into Huw's continuity announcements on the news channel so it looked quite messy.

Wondering how they choose which feed to join… In March and May they joined News TX1 for the reaction coverage so there was not a ticker. It seems like they opted into News TX1 for PM’s statement, and then switched to the News Channel feed for the reaction coverage after the ident.

Did World News take the Huw Edwards special?

No, World showed the address at around 2001 after Outside Source’s headline sequence.
EL
elmarko
Re the lack of opening caption before the statement, I remember back in the day with such things as the Gulf War broadcasts that there was a caption beforehand? Am I going mad?

Edit: https://youtu.be/3zh8XyIz-7g?t=45
BR
Brekkie
Sir Keir Starmer is having a televised message on BBC1 at 8pm tonight as a "right of reply".
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
Re: Seeing Huw

Surely it would be easier to have the PM's statement ready to go on each feed separately and had the computer press play at 2000 without cutting to Huw - which I also don't understand. Why would you (the controller) go to the news channel (or I saw it called above "News TX1" - which I presume refers to just the raw feed without the ticker or BSL interpreter?) at all - the file was presumably sitting, waiting to go because it was pre-recorded

It was pre-recorded but that doesn't mean it was easily able to be file delivered to TX. There's a good chance it wasn't even delivered as a file to News either and was just sent down a line. For various reasons it was probably just easier for it to be routed via News.
BBC One joining the NC feed slightly too soon for both the announcement itself (so we got a flash-frame of Huw) and the news special (so we got the end of Huw’s final NC-only sentence). Would there be a technical reason for this (feeds out of sync or somesuch) or is somebody being a bit too trigger happy in pres tonight?

I think noggin has said before that the playout system can take an indeterminate amount of time between the director pressing the 'take next' button and the system actually cutting to it. Which is a poor state of affairs, but it is what it is.

That would've accounted for any delay taking out of the end of the broadcast, which I don't think there was, once you get used to the delay it's very manageable and only a problem when something takes you by surprise at the last moment (hello, American sport!). I wouldn't expect it would've been a manual take into the start of either the broadcast or the news channel, I don't think it's something they do in there as the announcer would've had a time to talk to. Could've been due to a few frames' delay on the line or the clocks being slightly off but whenever I've had that sort of thing happen 9 times out of 10 it has just been the presenter not stopping talking when they should - not that I'd expect a pro like Huw to do that!
BA
bilky asko
I note that Northern Ireland's first and deputy first ministers were the only ones to do their statements live. The NI controllers deciding to give Mark Carruthers the 20-second in-vision continuity slot with a slightly uncomfortable pan before he started speaking.

One thing I noticed on the NI statement yesterday was the use of two sign language interpreters - I'm guessing Irish sign language is different to BSL then?

Yes it is. Irish Sign Language does take some influences from British Sign Language, but is more closely related to French Sign Language.
Night Thoughts, Brekkie and AJB39 gave kudos
CM
cmthwtv
Figures for the statement:

BBC One - 9.14m
ITV - 3.51m
Channel 4 - 2.80m
BBC News - 0.82m
Sky News - 0.48m
MA
Meridian AM
Figures for the statement:

BBC One - 9.14m
ITV - 3.51m
Channel 4 - 2.80m
BBC News - 0.82m
Sky News - 0.48m

Let's hope his message reaches the rest of the 66 million residents too.

Newer posts