Media Websites

YouTube Gold

ClassicTV gold on youtube (February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
That makes sense, on a closer look the railings behind the presenter in N6 aren't there
NG
noggin Founding member
It's neither, it's the desk that Moira Stuart sat at during Breakfast, in TC7.

Correct - initially news bulletins were presented from TC7 from a CSO position as the bit of the News Centre containing the newsroom and the N6 gallery (but not studio) was a crime scene and out of bounds.

Once the studio and gallery were usable again the two back-projectors in N6's studio were fed with a similar (from memory) red background (which was similar to News 24), as the newsroom camera couldn't be used (and a recorded shot would have been nonsensical given that the windows had been shattered by the bomb blast)
JA
james-2001
I remember someone at the time saying they noticed the video they used as the backdrop looping back to the start. In fact, I think that happens at 1:16 on that video because all the monitors change at the same time. The BBC World 10 second countdown is visible on the top left monitor at around 3:56 and breakfiller at 9:27 too.
WH
what
So I captured this earlier. Radio X somehow playing out a news bulletin from yesterday at 2pm today. Not sure why that would have still been on Global’s servers, let alone how they could have played it out by mistake. Surely they label them?!?
IS
Inspector Sands
They almost certainly will be named to indicate when they are for - each organisation has a naming convention for their staff to name clips on their servers so it's obvious what everything is. They'll also have a deletion/archive policy to remove old material and make room for new content. So stuff will stay on server for x number of days before being removed or archived offline. Usually these days it's done partly or totally automatically, looking after all that is what a Media Manager does

As to how that could happen given all the above. Well quite easily as it's humans (journalists, DJs, producers) who put things in play lists and who create the audio clips. So either the wrong bulletin was dragged into the running order or somehow the wrong audio was saved onto the playout system with the correct name.

Never underestimate the amount of a muddle a journalist can get with saving into a server, creating clip names and dragging in MOS objects. I worked as a media manager for years the classic was producers publishing a clip with the same name as the source material (why I don't know) and the system deleting the source in the process (yes the system didn't have a failsafe for that), or making the same item with lots of different names - which one to play, which to archive? In the 00s the naming convention suddenly changed in the second week of September so whereas the convention for the date was <day>_<month>_<year> they'd suddenly publish stories called 911_PKG_09_11_15 they weren't for November
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 23 September 2020 9:19am - 2 times in total
SW
Steve Williams
The first news bulletin on Scala Radio when it launched last year was a week-old bulletin from Magic.
LL
Larry the Loafer
"From Global's newsroom, you're up to date."

Mm hmm...
WI
Willz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mETDL3KTqc&ab_channel=johnteather Have a look at this!
DE88, elmarko and jonO gave kudos
JA
james-2001
ITV Nightscreen from the 27th January 1998, the earliest example I've seen:

Has different animations to the recordings from May 1998 that I have, including a teletext-style version of the CITV logo.
JA
james-2001
And another Nightscreen from April 1999:

Must be one of the earliest versions of the powerpoint version of Nightscreen, I remember the teletext version still being in use in the early months of 1999. Can't believe how poor and amateur it looks though, some of the screens look like a school kid has knocked it up in 5 minutes, almost feels like they'd have been better off sticking with the teletext version.
VM
VMPhil
Gridlock, a game show on Carlton Select, from 1997

WH
what
Gridlock, a game show on Carlton Select, from 1997

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY67tyk5k48

I’m interested in ITV/Carlton seemingly using Carlton Select as overspill for their Champions League coverage. How long did that last?

Newer posts