TV Home Forum

Bake Off

Matt Lucas Confirmed as New Host (January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
Just me who thought the Johnson bit was in bad taste, coming so soon after the evening's Ministerial Broadcast?

As I say I can't work out whether it was very well timed or a bad co-incidence. I can see how it could have taken away from the more serious message before hand. I imagine there was some serious discussion at Channel 4 as to whether to remove it
JO
Johnr
You could argue the last minute drafting in of "Would I Lie To You" straight after the speech on BBC1 was a rather intentional choice by the scheduling team Wink
Ghost, Brekkie and james-2001 gave kudos
AN
Andrew Founding member
Johnr posted:
You could argue the last minute drafting in of "Would I Lie To You" straight after the speech on BBC1 was a rather intentional choice by the scheduling team Wink

That's probably because BBC One only has 3 fillers for any spare slot either scheduled or unscheduled

If its early evening it's Garden Rescue, if its mid evening its Would I lie to you, if its post watershed its Mrs Brown's Boys
DE
deejay
I thoroughly enjoyed GBBO and I for one think it was a complete tonic. A joyous watch (I actually had tears of laughter at the busts) and Matt Lucas is an inspired choice of co host. And I also thought the skit at the beginning was brilliant. The following programme “The Write Offs” is also well worth a watch.

Bravo Channel 4.
IS
Inspector Sands
Such a great episode and thought Matt was great. I was never a fan of the Sandi and Noel partnership, it just didn't work for me and Sandi always seemed too serious for it despite her comedy credentials.
BR
Brekkie
6.9m last night, the highest rated launch show since it moved to C4. Matt has generally been well received and thankfully the media have seen the opening sketch as the humourous parody it was intended to be.
LL
Larry the Loafer
I didn't dislike Sandi at all, but I think Matt is a brilliant addition to the show. Perfect balance of humour and warmth.
BR
Brekkie
I though his Reasons to be Cheerful show was a little gem during lockdown and agree he is the perfect fit here. To be honest I don't think he really did much in last nights show, but that is what a show like Bake Off needs.

P.S. Watched both episodes of Sandi's The Write Offs on All4 today and really is excellent viewing. Just hope they do a follow up and that their progress wasn't wiped out by lockdown.
UK
UKnews
I've thought for a while that the usual scheduling of Bake Off starting in August was too early, and that mid September (or even early October) would be the perfect time for it, as the nights draw in and so on. Have the final in the run up to Christmas. The events of this year have ended making that happen, I think it's a better fit.

I'd agree with the comments so far - a good opener. Like others here I never disliked Sandi but thought Matt Lucus fitted in very well right from the off.
:-(
A former member
As long as he doesn’t sing that sodding Baked Potato song.

Newer posts