TV Home Forum

Paramount Network to rebrand

Split from Freeview channels thread (September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ZE
zeebre12
Paramount Network is going to rebrand globally as Paramount Movie Network globally. Wonder how this will change the UK version? https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/paramount-network-made-for-tv-movies-1234711671/
ST
Stuart
In the UK they've only just changed it from '5Spike' in January (allegedly it was a re-brand). Perhaps that didn't work either. Unless you've got an established bouquet of channels (such as Sky Sports, or Sky Cinema) where you can create 'pop-ups', then constant re-branding just confuses the audience.

My5 still include a logo for '5Spike', which makes them look lazy rather than innovative. What are Viacom up to?
JO
Jonwo
Interesting that Paramount Movie Network will be working with both Channel 5 and Network Ten on certain projects,
KU
Kunst
They better rebrand Paramount Network into something more suited like 5Max, getting rid of 5Spike was going to be a problem from day one..

But frankly I don't understand this move by the US team.. it's going to be very problematic in markets where Paramount Network is not just a movie channel, like Italy, Sweden and so on
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
Kunst posted:
They better rebrand Paramount Network into something more suited like 5Max, getting rid of 5Spike was going to be a problem from day one..

But frankly I don't understand this move by the US team.. it's going to be very problematic in markets where Paramount Network is not just a movie channel, like Italy, Sweden and so on

I wonder if it may be due to Paramount Network being owned by ViacomCBS. At a guess the rebrand might be an attempt to have Paramount as the movie channel 'part' of ViacomCBS, whilst having the CBS branded channels for the non-movie channels.
ST
steveboswell
Why do networks insist on giving new channels names that are too long to be displayed on EPGs?!

Paramount UK doesn't have a very clear remit, so perhaps giving it a sharper focus on movies will be a good move, although I think it's unlikely that they will transition it into a full-blown film channel.
AN
all new Phil
Pluto TV should be the one to stay. It’s a great product that has surprisingly little recognition so far. The US version has loads on it.
TL
Tyler LastName
Why do networks insist on giving new channels names that are too long to be displayed on EPGs?!

Paramount UK doesn't have a very clear remit, so perhaps giving it a sharper focus on movies will be a good move, although I think it's unlikely that they will transition it into a full-blown film channel.

True, but I think it should be a full film channel to compete with the likes of Film4 and Sony Movies and move stuff like Police Interceptors to either 5Star or a new channel.
JO
Jonwo

True, but I think it should be a full film channel to compete with the likes of Film4 and Sony Movies and move stuff like Police Interceptors to either 5Star or a new channel.

A lot of the male skewing factual content is shared by 5Star so dropping it wouldn't make much difference. I think a service that's a mix of films, TV Movies and a sprinkle of scripted shows could work for Paramount Network although Yellowstone could move to 5USA.
TM
tmf9
Jonwo posted:

A lot of the male skewing factual content is shared by 5Star so dropping it wouldn't make much difference. I think a service that's a mix of films, TV Movies and a sprinkle of scripted shows could work for Paramount Network although Yellowstone could move to 5USA.

That is essentially what Paramount Network UK was until January.

Axing the 5Spike brand but continuing its format under the Paramount name was a poor decision in hindsight.
PF
PFML84
The channel was passable when it existed beside 5 SPIKE. When It merged with 5 SPIKE and the programming took a nosedive that was an unbelievably bad decision. The premium name of Paramount showing endless repeats of Police Interceptors, benefits programmes and other Channel 5 garbage with the odd film thrown in. If they want to do anything positive, they should keep the Paramount channel as a premium film and modern skewing US TV show channel and leave the crap for 5 STAR and keep some less popular or older US shows on 5 USA, or merge 5 USA and Paramount.

Not that it will happen, but Channel 5 / ViacomCBS really need to sort out getting more HD channels on the air. Channel 5's spin-offs are the only ones that aren't available in HD out of the main 5 broadcasters. They have so much content now that is in HD but goes out at 544x576 at a low bit rate. Even if they were pay only channels it would be a welcome change. When looking through the Sky EPG, the first SD channels you actually come to are Comedy Central Extra on 127 and 5 STAR on 128, two Viacom channels. I never actually understood why they gave 5 STAR prominence on Sky but 5 USA gets it on Freeview.
JA
JAS84
Yeah, that is weird. Were Five Life and Five US's (as they were originally called) EPG numbers in the same order when they launched in 2006?

Newer posts