The Newsroom

The Sky News Thread

(October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VA
valley
Kay doing her show from Abingdon Green this morning.
BR
Brekkie
Kay doing her show from Abingdon Green this morning.

If only they had a studio in the area.
MA
Meridian AM
What did having her standing outside for 3 hours add to her programme or our knowledge and understanding?
To try to make it dramatic somehow??
She was saying and doing exactly the same as she would have if inside her Lion's Den Westminster studio.
TM
TMD_24
And now Adam has protesters behind him on Abingdon Green.
CW
CraigWills

I’d argue for average viewers it distracts so much that I truly don’t see why being outside is considered. Has Adam done any in person interviews on the green?
MA
Markymark

I’d argue for average viewers it distracts so much that I truly don’t see why being outside is considered. ?

I agree. Don't worry, the weather breaks tomorrow, they'll be indoors again !
AL
alexjac0788
AJ posted:

Some of us have been defending the glass box since it launched. Wink

With some tweaks to the atrium surrounding the glass box, it could make a very effective backdrop. Some creative lighting, a range of monitors and maybe a ticker somewhere in the background would really bring the atrium to life. Sky Central itself looks like a really nice space, it’s modern, bright and feels fresh. It’s a nice contrast to the very dark, gloomy backgrounds on BBC and ITV News studios.

Unfortunately they insist on having the desk face the big screen and the surrounding corridors, so much wasted potential. The actual studio itself, however, is a nicely designed space.

After the 2019 Election, I was so excited to see that Sky had finally brought back some of its creativity. They showed what they could do with Sky Central. However, since then, they've gone backwards.

Sky Central is a bit different right now with lots of one way systems, floor stickers and safety info banners - like most offices.

Using the atrium for broadcast wouldn't be particularly wise whilst trying to make space available for physical distancing.

I was referring to Sky's creativity in general. They seemed to be heading in the right direction, but the new Westminster studio shows that the thinking behind the GE coverage was a one-off.
SA
StarlightArthur
AJ posted:

After the 2019 Election, I was so excited to see that Sky had finally brought back some of its creativity. They showed what they could do with Sky Central. However, since then, they've gone backwards.

Sky Central is a bit different right now with lots of one way systems, floor stickers and safety info banners - like most offices.

Using the atrium for broadcast wouldn't be particularly wise whilst trying to make space available for physical distancing.

I was referring to Sky's creativity in general. They seemed to be heading in the right direction, but the new Westminster studio shows that the thinking behind the GE coverage was a one-off.

I agree, there doesn't seem anything creative about the Westminster studio. I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but it just looks like a lazy attempt of replicating the Politics Live studio.
Jeffmister and alexjac0788 gave kudos
CW
CraigWills
Sky using Adam Boulton to lead presentation today, not sure if it’s warranted in my opinion. I don’t mind Adam, but his styles a little different to what the daytime slots are usually. It’s almost as if Sky have a big story and they must have Adam front all day on College Green, from the bits of presentation I’ve seen I’m not sure why they couldn’t have come from the Glass Box or Westminster with the usual daytime presenters. Down the line interviews etc. seem a lot smoother from a a studio position. Then have Beth Rigby and perhaps Adam on the green for analysis/reactions.

Worth noting, Jayne Secker also anchoring parts from Reading while Sarah Hewson/Colin Brazier didn’t appear from what I’ve seen today, they may have been at the Glass Box in case of links going down.
Meridian AM and BBI45 gave kudos
CW
CraigWills
Double post but notable that Stephen Dixon is covering for his pal Kay Burley; presenting 7am-10am this Friday. Will be interesting to see how the format/studio/branding without Kay.

LL
London Lite Founding member
There appeared to be an sync issue with Kimberley's mic in the Glass Box at midnight, VT's were playing out normally. Was sorted out for the cross to the sport.
WO
Worzel
There appeared to be an sync issue with Kimberley's mic in the Glass Box at midnight, VT's were playing out normally. Was sorted out for the cross to the sport.

There were also problems with one camera on College Green this morning when Adam Bolton was on. I wondered if he was trying to do an impression of a ventriloquists dummy at one point.

Newer posts