TV Home Forum

Family Fortunes is back

Split from ITV Programming Thread

AS
AlexS Central (East) Midlands Today
Jon posted:
They’ve been making sure to use protection in the Covid-19 era in the US.
https://www.vulture.com/amp/2020/09/wheel-of-fortune-season-38-covid-19-changes.html

How that appeared on the front page suggested a post about a completely different type of programme...
GO
gottago London London
Jonwo posted:
Why has nobody thought of bringing back Wheel of Fortune yet?

Perhaps no one is interested. It’s a decent game show but not the most exciting. I assume Sony unlike Fremantle isn’t that bothered about trying to milk their game show catalogue.

The Sony companies definitely would've tried repitching it, as do all companies with all their previously successful IP. I think the problem with Wheel is that it would be particularly dull hour long show as it's pretty much the same thing over and over again and difficult to reformat in any particularly exciting way. I used to love it as a kid but it's surprising how low energy the actual gameplay is watching it now.
Meridian AM and Jonwo gave kudos
JO
Jonwo

On a separate note mentioned earlier, I wonder why winning cars is out of favour these days, as long as its a product placement from either the car brand or a dealer, it could surely work?

I assume it's to do with being more green these days although nothing stopping car companies from providing electric cars,
JO
Jon Central (West) Midlands Today
Jonwo posted:

On a separate note mentioned earlier, I wonder why winning cars is out of favour these days, as long as its a product placement from either the car brand or a dealer, it could surely work?

I assume it's to do with being more green these days although nothing stopping car companies from providing electric cars,

I think Millionaire was largely the thing that killed it off. Also £30,000 splits more nicely amongst five people than a car. I guess it also dates the show somewhat.

Of course Epic Gameshow was happy to give away cars earlier this year.
PF
PFML84 UTV Newsline
Finally got round to watching it. I liked the majority of it, the set is nice, the classic touches from previous eras is nice to see but Gino is absolutely awful at presenting it. Not only that, the padding is obvious, we don't need to stop during the answers being revealed during Big Money to ask the family AGAIN what they would spend the money on and what it would mean to them to win it. This really doesn't need to be an hour long and it badly needs someone else to host it.
Last edited by PFML84 on 22 September 2020 10:44am
SuperSajuuk, Meridian AM and DeMarkay gave kudos
WH
Whataday Founding member Wales Wales Today
I've always felt ITV have an inflated opinion of Gino compared to that of the general public.

The theme and titles are a little weak for me.

I still think these titles hold up really well 20 years later:

Perhaps they were ahead of their time as they only lasted one series before they went back to something a lot more brash.
fanoftv and Meridian AM gave kudos
JO
Johnr
I miss the instant ‘siren’ sound and flashing arrows from Big Money, it makes it more thrilling!
MarkT76, Brekkie and Meridian AM gave kudos
PF
PFML84 UTV Newsline
I wish they had went for a revolving graphic when an answer is revealed like in Family Feud, but obviously not so fast and still accompanied by the classing "ding" for the correct answer. The sparkles and wipe in from the left looks naff IMHO. And I fully agree about the siren sound and flashing arrows when we have a top answer, a classic FF element that could have been kept and updated for the modern look of the show.
SJ
sjames Anglia (East) Look East
I've not watched the new series yet, but have always thought a show like this needs a family friendly comedian as a host to be able to be quick witted and respond to naturally funny answers contestants are going to give. Gino just seems such a weird and awkward left-field choice, it's like someone got a dart board and that's the combination they ended up with.

Whilst Bradley Walsh would have made a fine host, he's probably got enough shows on the go at the moment, so probably someone like Jason Manford or Michael McIntyre would have worked better.
LL
Larry the Loafer Granada North West Today
Isn't Brad lined up to revive Blankety Blank or is that just tabloid talk?
MA
Meridian AM Meridian (South) South Today
I've not watched the new series yet, but have always thought a show like this needs a family friendly comedian as a host to be able to be quick witted and respond to naturally funny answers contestants are going to give. Gino just seems such a weird and awkward left-field choice, it's like someone got a dart board and that's the combination they ended up with.

Whilst Bradley Walsh would have made a fine host, he's probably got enough shows on the go at the moment, so probably someone like Jason Manford or Michael McIntyre would have worked better.

Or Brian Conley. He was funny on The Chase the other day. He is very similar style to Bradley.

But I guess Gino fits in with 'diversity' quotas.
He was awful though and has put me off watching it again.
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
Jason Manford is a good call.
Turns out nobody had 2020 vision.

Newer posts