TV Home Forum

Family Fortunes is back

Split from ITV Programming Thread (September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
I have to say the one thing I've always really disliked about this show is how 'Double Money' requires an explanation.
Juicy Joe, TVMan and DeMarkay gave kudos
AN
Andrew Founding member
The purists head’s would have exploded if they’d done “Triple Money”
GM
Gary McEwan
I noticed as well that they are using the Family Feud times of 20/25 seconds for Big Money instead of the original 15/20 seconds.
MC
mccanmat
Penny Layden was the voiceover.

I think rebooted shows tend to move towards female announcers to give more of a change... think like Mel Sykes instead of Our Graham on Blind Date or Jenny McAlpine on supermarket Sweep instead of Bobby Bragg... obviously Stephen Rhodes couldnt have voiced over this version anyway. Steve Hamilton from WoF was another favourite voiceover of mine... suppose if they went male voice it would end up being Peter VERY LOUD DICKSON. Voiceover artists are not as a plenty on tv anymore...
JO
Jon
I think the reason for for the female voiceovers is more to do with balancing out the male hosts.

The Fifteen to One reboot is a good example, Jennie Bond originally did the celebrity version with Adam Hills and they used a male voice over on Sandi’s version.
JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member
I feel it is good that they are using elements of the show from all eras. They are still implementing the original incorrect answer sfx from 1980, they've partly got the yellowy beige set from 1981 and the bluish set from 1994ish, a new version of the theme from 1990, sound effects & screen graphics from Vernon's series & the opening doors to walk through like Vernon's shows also.

Having said that, I thought Gino was slightly wooden & could have had more banter with the contestants, but I suppose covid-19 prevented any close up conversation & laughs. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as he is likely to improve over a few shows.
SuperSajuuk and DeMarkay gave kudos
SC
Score
It was slow but at least every contestant got to have a go unlike the 45 minute version.

This was a rush commission wasn't it? To fill holes in a pandemic stricken schedule. I don't think the original plan for 2020 would have been to bring back Family Fortunes or The Cube. It was more a case that they are entertainment formats that could be better accommodated in the current circumstances.

I think this is almost certainly the case. The head of entertainment said a few months ago they’d be looking to the archives to fill slots in the Autumn and next year, which makes a lot of sense, but I doubt they’d normally have revivals of two gameshows (plus Alright on The Night) in one Autumn, in the same year as they’ve already done Epic Gameshow.

It’s not a bad strategy and whilst the format isn’t really for me I thought it was fine last night. You can tell it’s been rushed by the limited promotion, the actual trailer with content from the show was only on air for a few days before the launch.

Got 3.7m which given the limited promo seems decent enough.
SuperSajuuk and Square Eyes gave kudos
JA
james-2001
Why has nobody thought of bringing back Wheel of Fortune yet?
MarkT76, SuperSajuuk and what gave kudos
JO
Jonwo

Perhaps no one is interested. It’s a decent game show but not the most exciting. I assume Sony unlike Fremantle isn’t that bothered about trying to milk their game show catalogue.
CH
chinamug

The wheel would have to be disinfected after every spin!
AN
Andrew Founding member
Jonwo posted:

Perhaps no one is interested. It’s a decent game show but not the most exciting. I assume Sony unlike Fremantle isn’t that bothered about trying to milk their game show catalogue.

Part of the game play is similar to Rolling in it, in that its pure luck if you land on money or bankrupt or something else

The hangman style game is pretty basic though

Like said above, every spoke on the wheel would need wiping down these days!

On a separate note mentioned earlier, I wonder why winning cars is out of favour these days, as long as its a product placement from either the car brand or a dealer, it could surely work?
JO
Jon
They’ve been making sure to use protection in the Covid-19 era in the US.
https://www.vulture.com/amp/2020/09/wheel-of-fortune-season-38-covid-19-changes.html
bilky asko and harshy gave kudos

Newer posts