TV Home Forum

Cartoons on TV

Split from TV Breakdown Appreciation Thread

JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
God, I remember that "Disney at Christmas" ident, we had it on quite a few videos taped off TV in the late 80s/early 90s when I was a kid. Anyone know when it finally stopped being used? Certainly still in use in 1992, as I have a split second of it at the start of a recording from then. Maybe that's when it stopped if it was Thames responsible for it.
Last edited by james-2001 on 20 September 2020 10:19pm
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today
God, I remember that "Disney at Christmas" ident, we had it on quite a few videos taped off TV in the late 80s/early 90s when I was a kid. Anyone know when it finally stopped being used? Certainly still in use in 1992, as I have a split second of it at the start of a recording from then. Maybe that's when it stopped if it was Thames responsible for it.

There's a couple of videos on YouTube that claims to be from 1993, but it has "Christmas Premiere" in an entirely different font. A follow-up comment suggests it was actually Christmas 1992. Cross-referencing this seems to suggest Boxing Day 1992.

By 1993 here, all that Disney stuff had disappeared, so probably safe to assume the aforementioned sting and strand went out with Thames. I'm not entirely sure why ITV's Disney content was effectively reduced to Disney Club on Sunday mornings from 1993, its probably been discussed on here before.

(I have no idea if the listings on the links are genuine, they just turned up in a Google search)
JA
Yes, those Robin Hood and Sword In The Stone recordings on those videos are the ones from 1992 that I personally have that I referenced. Definitely from 1992, not 1993. We had a recording of the Day For Eeyore showing too, albeit on a different tape (an E60 tape I still have- albeit with Winnie The Pooh since taped over, it does still have a recording of a 1989 showing of Pigeon Street on it though!) to Robin Hood and Sword Of The Stone- so we clearly must have swapped tapes during the break!

We had a video at one point which had a programme which had clips from loads of Disney films with a host linking it (I particularly remember The Bare Neccessities and the race from Tron being featured), must have been recorded around 1990/91. Sadly the tape got chewed up a long time ago, but I've always wanted to know since what the programme itself was. The tape had Dumbo on after it, so I'm assuming it was broadcast around the same time as an ITV screening of Dumbo. Which I presume must narrow it down as terrestrial showings of Disney films were very sparing- as shown by the premiere of The Sword in The Stone in 1992- 29 years after it was made!
Last edited by james-2001 on 20 September 2020 11:30pm
NJ
We had a video at one point which had a programme which had clips from loads of Disney films with a host linking it (I particularly remember The Bare Neccessities and the race from Tron being featured), must have been recorded around 1990/91. Sadly the tape got chewed up a long time ago, but I've always wanted to know since what the programme itself was.

Rolf Harris did one of these sorts of shows (I think it was a tie in to his Cartoon Club he had at the time) and it was done at around the time Mel Blanc died as he mentioned the passing of Blanc during the programme. However because of that it was more likely going to be Warner Brothers related (his previous show Cartoon Time on the BBC was primarily Warner Brothers as well I believe).

Its funny you mention the Disney film thing with a host linking it, I have half a memory of a similar sounding programme which uses a clip from Dumbo which ends when Dumbo lands on the telegraph wires. I'm thinking as I type here, I'm sure the host was almost certainly from The Disney Club and female, and the only name from that period was Andrea Boardman. Does that help?
SJ
sjames Anglia (East) Look East
We had a video at one point which had a programme which had clips from loads of Disney films with a host linking it (I particularly remember The Bare Neccessities and the race from Tron being featured), must have been recorded around 1990/91. Sadly the tape got chewed up a long time ago, but I've always wanted to know since what the programme itself was. The tape had Dumbo on after it, so I'm assuming it was broadcast around the same time as an ITV screening of Dumbo. Which I presume must narrow it down as terrestrial showings of Disney films were very sparing- as shown by the premiere of The Sword in The Stone in 1992- 29 years after it was made!

That sounds very much like it would have been Disney Time. A show appeared periodically throughout the year, usually in holiday time with different hosts. Started in the 60's and went on to 1998 (presumably stopped because of the Disney Channel?). There's some small clips on YouTube, but not yet seen any full episodes crop up, which is a shame, as I'd love to for nostalgia reasons! It's a pity it's not something Disney+ could put out as a UK exclusive!

Rolf Harris did one of these sorts of shows (I think it was a tie in to his Cartoon Club he had at the time) and it was done at around the time Mel Blanc died as he mentioned the passing of Blanc during the programme. However because of that it was more likely going to be Warner Brothers related (his previous show Cartoon Time on the BBC was primarily Warner Brothers as well I believe).

Are you sure you're not thinking of Tony Robinson's Stay Tooned? That was a great show which showed cartoons buts also put them into historical context too. Again a show I would love to see again!
JA

Its funny you mention the Disney film thing with a host linking it, I have half a memory of a similar sounding programme which uses a clip from Dumbo which ends when Dumbo lands on the telegraph wires. I'm thinking as I type here, I'm sure the host was almost certainly from The Disney Club and female, and the only name from that period was Andrea Boardman. Does that help?

I'm pretty sure the host was male, but I'm going back a long time here... the tape probably got chewed up around 1993, so my memory could be wrong. I seem to remember it was just someone in a studio as well, and I think Disney Time was always presented on location.

I might be wrong, but wasn't Disney Time on the BBC in that era? So it couldn't have been that as there was an advert break during it- I specifically remember an ad for Lightwater Valley being on there. We watched that tape a lot, probably why it got chewed up! Wish I had more than just vague memories from nearly 30 years ago.
Last edited by james-2001 on 21 September 2020 1:10am
RD
RDJ Central (West) Midlands Today

By 1993 here, all that Disney stuff had disappeared, so probably safe to assume the aforementioned sting and strand went out with Thames. I'm not entirely sure why ITV's Disney content was effectively reduced to Disney Club on Sunday mornings from 1993, its probably been discussed on here before.

Because of course in 1993, Disney had a share in GMTV. Disney wanted to get into the UK market which is why so much content was sold to Thames. But then once they managed to get into one of the franchises, all their vested interests went into that. Which is why all Disney output on ITV was then concentrated on weekend mornings.

For the BBC, they had Disney Time. Shown on most Bank Holidays from the 60's right through to the end of the 90's. By the looks of Genome, Rolf Harris, Cliff Richard and Julie Andrews hosted the early editions.

I've fond memories of the later editions with Philip Schofield appearing around the UK and then in latter years people like Diane Louise-Jordan, Tim Vincent and Toby Anstis would host from some exotic location or snowy location depending on the time of year.
Central News South January 9th 1989 - December 3rd 2006
NJ

Are you sure you're not thinking of Tony Robinson's Stay Tooned? That was a great show which showed cartoons buts also put them into historical context too. Again a show I would love to see again!

No, it was definitely Rolf Harris, and a quick shufty on IMDb reveals I'm referring to this specific production:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1078272

I remember taping this at the time for some reason but there's no sign of this anywhere online video wise and I don't know what happened to the tape Sad
IS
Inspector Sands
Stay Tooned was essentially a replacement for Rolfs Cartoon Time after he went off to ITV.

I remember Disney Time being one of the staples of bank holiday BBC, along with World's Strongest Man
SW
Steve Williams
Stay Tooned was essentially a replacement for Rolfs Cartoon Time after he went off to ITV.

I remember Disney Time being one of the staples of bank holiday BBC, along with World's Strongest Man

Yes, a good trivia question, this - David Jacobs did the first, Rio Ferdinand the last, what was it? It's Disney Time. As you say, it was a Bank Holiday staple, in the eighties there were four episodes a year, at Christmas, Easter and the late May and August Bank Holiday. In the nineties I always found it a bit strange that it was on the Beeb when all other Disney was always on ITV, but it carried on up until 1998. In fact on Christmas Day 1998 they was a Disney Time-branded programme on ITV, but I think that was the only time they used that branding.

Rolf Harris Cartoon Time began in the late seventies, and I remember reading in his autobiography (which I've long since thrown out) that it only came about as the Beeb had bought a package of several hundred cartoons and wanted to do something with them. As you say, Stay Tooned replaced it when Rolf went to ITV in 1989, from the same production team, but it was a bit more involved and had more discussion, and showed animation from all over the world rather than Cartoon Time's non-stop MGM and Warner Bros. I remember from the Radio Times it was produced by Nick Freand Jones who at the same time was also producing Moviedrome (and I noticed produced Mark Kermode's recent series).

No, it was definitely Rolf Harris, and a quick shufty on IMDb reveals I'm referring to this specific production:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1078272

I remember this, on Christmas Eve 1990, it went on for over an hour, clearly Cartoon Club had done well enough to allow them an additional budget for a foreign jaunt.

I know it's not a very good name to drop now but I used to love Rolf's Cartoon Club, I found it fascinating. I was in the club as well and I remember in the newsletter once there was a feature inspired by a letter from someone who had bought a VHS called Bugs Bunny And Friends (which I also remember renting from the video shop) only to find it contained one ancient Bugs Bunny cartoon and then a load of black and white obscurities from the thirties, and they discussed how at that point, Warner Bros only had the rights to their post-1950 cartoons and all the older ones were up for grabs to anyone who wanted them, hence this video. And at that point I remember ITV had what we considered the "proper" post-1950 Warner Bros cartoons and the Beeb had the older ones. Of course nowadays thanks to various bits of consolidation they own them all again.

It was always a bit of Russian Roulette when you saw "cartoon" billed in the TV guide as you never knew what you were going to get. On the Beeb you would always hope for Tom and Jerry or Droopy but you'd sometimes get one of those ancient pre-war Warner Bros ones (I remember them showing one of those in CBBC once, and Andi Peters unable to disguise his amusement at how old and boring it was), and on ITV you'd always hope for Bugs Bunny or Daffy Duck and it was such a shame when you got a rubbish Disney one instead. Was there ever a more disappointing image for an 80s kid than Mickey Mouse's giant head at the start of a Disney cartoon?
msim, Blake Connolly and Inspector Sands gave kudos
SC
Si-Co Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
I’m surprised that Disney Time was shown on the BBC. Steve Williams, you state it ran until 1998, but did it run throughout the 80s and 90s? I ask this because Tony Robinson stated during a Stay Tooned special (shown sometime in the early to mid 90s) that ITV held exclusive rights to Disney’s catalogue, and therefore no Disney content could be shown on Stay Tooned.
CEEFAX SUBTITLES BEGIN SHORTLY
SW
Steve Williams
Si-Co posted:
I’m surprised that Disney Time was shown on the BBC. Steve Williams, you state it ran until 1998, but did it run throughout the 80s and 90s? I ask this because Tony Robinson stated during a Stay Tooned special (shown sometime in the early to mid 90s) that ITV held exclusive rights to Disney’s catalogue, and therefore no Disney content could be shown on Stay Tooned.

Yes it did - https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/0/20?adv=1&media=tv&order=asc&q=%22disney+time%22&yf=1980#search

As I say, it was unusual to see Disney on the Beeb, and you generally didn't see it in anything other than Disney Time, so I'm assuming that Disney only allowed Disney content to be shown in specifically Disney-branded (and possibly Disney-provided) programmes.

As we know, Disney have always been very protective of their brands. You'll note you can see Disney films on BBC1, but never on CBBC.
Si-Co, UKnews and DeMarkay gave kudos

Newer posts