TV Home Forum

The Weakest Link - US Reboot

Some interesting format and presentation changes (September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MI
Michael
I think the main issue was moving the production of TWL up to Glasgow.

I remember reading somewhere Anne saying that travelling back and forward to Glasgow was getting tiring

Those broomsticks aren't exactly comfortable.
DE88, Charles and rob gave kudos
RD
RDJ
The button to bank is a little unnecessary.... when they're saying bank anyway.
JO
Josh
I can see that there will be a time where someone forgets to press the Bank Button™ causing them to not bank the money.
JO
Jon
Assuming it does something rather than just being just a prop I think it’s a good idea. It helps avoids any confusion as to whether the right person said bank and whether it was out of time or not. Although I’d have a voice over saying the ‘bank’ when the button is pressed in the style of the final Chase buzzers to avoid a situation where they say bank after they’ve pressed their buzzer.
RO
rob Founding member
Just noticed from Buzzerblog's Facebook:

Quote:
This is not the absolute final cut, given the lack of graphics and sound effects without any visual representation, so just a heads up
JO
Jonwo
I haven't watched The Weakest Link in a long time but how do they vote off someone if the team did really well in a round without any incorrect answers?
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Jonwo posted:
I haven't watched The Weakest Link in a long time but how do they vote off someone if the team did really well in a round without any incorrect answers?

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe.

Almost certainly due to how quickly they answered I would have thought, if you stood there like a lemon for two seconds while you tried to recall the capital of Iceland, you'll stick out in somebody's mind far longer than you would had you just blurted out 96 straight away when asked what twelve eights are.

Anyway its who the team decides to get rid of, and not who was statistically crap. Strongest links can and have gone, usually taking the chance of a decent sized jackpot with them in the process.
JO
Jon
There was a post about this the other day on Bothers Bar. Taken from the original US rules.

http://www.bothersbar.co.uk/?p=13185#comment-573473
Quote:
To summarize, it’s…
1. Most right answers
2. Least number of wrong answers
3. Amount of money banked by the player
4. Amount of money “earned” by answering questions
5. Least amount of money lost by failing to bank
6. Full game performance using the previous 5 steps
7. RANDOM selection by the producers

No doubt the same basis was used here too.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Jon posted:
There was a post about this the other day on Bothers Bar. Taken from the original US rules.

http://www.bothersbar.co.uk/?p=13185#comment-573473
Quote:
To summarize, it’s…
1. Most right answers
2. Least number of wrong answers
3. Amount of money banked by the player
4. Amount of money “earned” by answering questions
5. Least amount of money lost by failing to bank
6. Full game performance using the previous 5 steps
7. RANDOM selection by the producers

No doubt the same basis was used here too.

For the first round of the game where the full £1k gets banked in about 45 seconds I don't see how numbers 1,2, 5 and 6 can be applied, and number 3 will only ever be applied to "the person who was first alphabetically", assuming they're paying attention - this guarantees them to be the strongest link as they were the only one to bank at the end of a 9 answer chain. Since it was perfectly possible to get to £1k via a series of shorter chains, this isn't always strictly true.

Of course on the show we were never privy to the criteria used for the first round (almost certainly random choice) but its usually more obvious at later stages of the game without a need to crunch any numbers.
RO
rob Founding member
Here's the intro:

JO
Joe
Looks good there. Nice bit of dry wit, which has always been important to the format. American, for sure, but not to the point of ruin(!)*

*all based on the clips seen, of course
JO
Jonwo
Joe posted:
Looks good there. Nice bit of dry wit, which has always been important to the format. American, for sure, but not to the point of ruin(!)*

*all based on the clips seen, of course

Having seen that clip, if the BBC commissioned a UK reboot, Victoria Coren Mitchell would be great as the host. Her intros at the beginning of Only Connect are brilliant

Newer posts