TV Home Forum

Strictly Come Dancing | 2020

(August 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Seems the clip show has gone down pretty badly as being a talking heads clip show with only short clips from the routines rather than routines being shown in full. I'd have thought keeping it simple was obvious in this case - all they needed to do was pick out a Top 10 or so and present it as a show using the original footage in a similar way to the BBC did their Eurovision special earlier this year. Heck, could even have squeezed in a vote in a similar style and announced a (pre-recorded) winner at the end of each show.
OM
Omnipresent
Found it hard to stick with it,

The juxtaposition of the highly polished material from the live shows against footage recorded in dancers homes, some on mobile phones, was pretty jarring.

It didn't need so many contributors. A more streamlined countdown would have been more effective.
GB
Gary Baldy
what was that section on the '**** VTs' as Alan Carr calls them all about?
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
Watching with the wife last night the episode was rather underwhelming, due mostly to the amount of non-dancing bits featured. I suppose it did allow viewers to get used to Bruno's natural hair colour. Razz

I also noticed those "BBC Studios / Strictly Come Dancing" credits as mentioned by Omnipresent, which were strange considering it was being shown on Strictly. I can only assume there was some internal politics at play, or maybe somehow due to the celebs/ dancers featured.

Worth noting that for the live shows the will be a studio audience. I've recently seen a BBC tickets email saying that they will be seated in household bubbles of 4. Presumably doing something similar as used for Jonathon Ross's comedy club.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Yes those credits are curious. I assumed they had got an indie to make the clip show but it was a BBC Studios production.

Perhaps doing it that way under fair dealing meant they didn't have to pay repeat fees to some of the contributors? Possibly the live band?

Or maybe if the compilation was put together during lockdown the paperwork wasn't accessible so they used fair dealing to get round it?
Omnipresent and Amber Avenger gave kudos
AA
Amber Avenger
Yes those credits are curious. I assumed they had got an indie to make the clip show but it was a BBC Studios production.

Perhaps doing it that way under fair dealing meant they didn't have to pay repeat fees to some of the contributors? Possibly the live band?

Or maybe if the compilation was put together during lockdown the paperwork wasn't accessible so they used fair dealing to get round it?

The repeat fees thing would make sense. I don't think it will be the band, the caption seemed to be appearing during the mega compilations, rather than the (few) individual performances we saw when we would hear the band
CL
Clouseau
It takes a special talent to turn an extensive library of fabulous routines into such a shambles of a show.
:-(
A former member
It takes the BBC to turn an extensive library of fabulous routines into such a shambles of a show.

Fixed that for you!
JK
JKDerry
I guess the BBC thinking of having so many contributors to the clip show was to try and regain the "family" feel to the show, having viewers see as many of their favourite dancers, judges etc in one show, to try and brighten up a Saturday night for them.

It didn't work for me. Three more of these specials before the main show starts, so I guess the other best of editions have already been recorded.

The live shows will be very interesting, to see how they have redesigned George Lucas Stage 2 at Elstree, that vast studio should ensure enough social distancing.
BR
Brekkie
The way things are going at the moment I suspect the audience might be pulled for the early shows, but I think if they can go ahead it'll actually work quite well. The trickier thing may be the Clauditorium, but I guess if they only have the dancers being interviewed up there it'll be easy enough with social distancing.

Will be nice too that the judges have room to swing a cat at their desks - they've always looked so cramped compared to other talent shows.
JO
Johnr
Wonder how much they'll be mucking up 'Best of The Apprentice' starting in a couple of weeks, apparently narrated by Tom Allen

No doubt this will 'classic' moment will be shown for the billionth time!

IS
Inspector Sands
The Apprentice is a programme I'm surprised never gets repeated or really ever shown again as clips or best ofs. One series was repeated on Dave I seem to remember but that's it. It's gone off a bit recently but the earlier series were great

Newer posts