The Newsroom

ITV News

Split from ITV News 2013 Rebrand

RD
RDJ Central (West) Midlands Today
chris posted:
ITV did next to nothing on the night itself regarding the Manchester Arena bombing IIRC.

Because they were off air. The scale of what had happened only became clear very late at night.

ITV News do have the capability of late night Newsflashes. The London Bridge terror attack in 2017 came to light close to midnight, and a Newflash came to air then, about two hours since that day's final bulletin. And Julie returned for another Newsflash on Sunday morning.

For the Manchester Arena attacks, the details were very sketchy as to what exactly happened for most of the night which the news channels mostly struggled with and the details only really came to light once the breakfast programmes came to air. ITV News took over coverage that whole morning, so I think they did as well as they could with that.
Central News South January 9th 1989 - December 3rd 2006
CW
CraigWills Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
RDJ posted:
chris posted:
ITV did next to nothing on the night itself regarding the Manchester Arena bombing IIRC.

Because they were off air. The scale of what had happened only became clear very late at night.

ITV News do have the capability of late night Newsflashes. The London Bridge terror attack in 2017 came to light close to midnight, and a Newflash came to air then, about two hours since that day's final bulletin. And Julie returned for another Newsflash on Sunday morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KCYwVoy7VI

For the Manchester Arena attacks, the details were very sketchy as to what exactly happened for most of the night which the news channels mostly struggled with and the details only really came to light once the breakfast programmes came to air. ITV News took over coverage that whole morning, so I think they did as well as they could with that.

I think location plays a part here. ITN could portably have picked umpteen resources do a report on the London Bridge terror attack as most of their team are going to be based in the capital. Whereas finding the same resources required at the time in Manchester would have been more difficult, albeit it far from impossible. Greater Manchester Police confirmed fatalities, amid a reported explosion at 23:45 that night, so if ITV didn’t manage a breaking news flash at all that night, then that isn’t ideal. A decision was probably based on how much information and detail they could bring to air, if all ITN had was the police statement then it might have been deemed as a little thin. Whereas having a reporter on the ground gives a more detailed breaking news report. Having said that, I still think a newsreader and reporter in London could have provided a useful breaking news flash that night.
SO
Soupnzi London London
Manchester was extremely unclear as we’re being reminded in the ongoing inquiry. GMP didn’t declare a major incident until about 0100 I think. I think it was felt ITV could have done more which is why so much was made of London Bridge (though yes the timing and location made things easier for extended coverage)
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
It was around 11pm the story began to emerge and the news channels picked up on it, less than half an hour after their last bulletin, so even if they didn't go to air immediately there was enough info around to keep a team around so that they could (either in London or at Granada). It just felt very poor when at the time it felt like everytime someone as much as tripped over in London most news services went into breaking news mode.

That said there is also a strong argument not to go into rolling speculation mode at times like that, but ITV News should have done better that night.
Last edited by Brekkie on 19 September 2020 11:09am
Turns out nobody had 2020 vision.
RD
RDJ Central (West) Midlands Today
Rageh making a rare appearance on a Saturday. I suppose it might be because of the expected announcement on further national restrictions by the government.
Central News South January 9th 1989 - December 3rd 2006
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse Central (West) Midlands Today
RDJ posted:
Rageh making a rare appearance on a Saturday. I suppose it might be because of the expected announcement on further national restrictions by the government.

Don't think there's a strong indicator they'll be announced today though
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8EmCnoa_w4h6qqHHSwHf0Q
UN
Universal_r Central Reporting Scotland
When was the last itv news flash? Was it London Bridge?
BR
RDJ posted:

And although a News at Ten fixture I don't think he'd be considered much more senior than the likes of Kylie or Lucrezia.
HB
HarryB Meridian (Thames Valley) South Today
When was the last itv news flash? Was it London Bridge?

There was a newsflash from GMB in November 2017, cant remember any in 2018 or 19
Universal_r and paul_hadley gave kudos
CH
chris Granada North West Today
RDJ posted:

And although a News at Ten fixture I don't think he'd be considered much more senior than the likes of Kylie or Lucrezia.

Rageh is without a doubt more senior than Kylie or Lucrezia. He’s a highly-regarded reporter who could easily handle complex breaking stories.
BR
He's a highly regarded reporter and has improved as an anchor of the more analytical News at Ten and short weekend bulletins but I think in an open-ended rolling news situation Kylie and Lucrezia would probably be more comfortable.
YO
yogibarney Granada North West Today
RDJ posted:

Without drawing too much into it he may have been scheduled to do in the first place.
Or whoever was originally scheduled couldn’t do it and he was the only person they could bring in to cover.
One half of the Hunger Bears

Newer posts