Media Websites

TV Forum: New for (the middle of) 2020

(June 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RO
rob Founding member
Seeing a link to the 9/11 thread elsewhere has me wondering if it would be possible to compile a list of links of threads of major presentation changes, news events and the like over the years?
BBI45 and paul_hadley gave kudos
VM
VMPhil
Does anyone remember, years ago, the TV Forum Archive, which I recall mainly because the logo had 'TV' in an orange bubble, and people thought it was a preview of a future new look (it wasn't).
JO
Joe
I seem to have experienced some downtime over the past few days. I've struggled to get onto the site (hooray, they all say). Just me?
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Joe posted:
I seem to have experienced some downtime over the past few days. I've struggled to get onto the site (hooray, they all say). Just me?

Well considering there's plenty of posts from everybody over the last few days I would say its just you.

This sort of behaviour happens on occasion where your internet traffic gets routed through either a broken server somewhere or your ISP's copy of the numeric entries for websites is out of date or not updating for some reason, so you get a "server not found" or similar, but it won't affect everybody as it depends how your internet traffic gets routed.

I've had trouble getting onto an FTP server for most of the last month, but it's come back now and I can see additions to it that were added while I couldn't get to it, so I knew it wasn't down, the "is it down" sites said it was fine but I coudln't get to it. So it was a temporary ISP issue. These things tend to clear themselves after a while.
NL
Ne1L C
Technical issues affect us all. I'm with plusnet and was having connection issues. Plusnet said if they came to look at it and the fault was ours it would cost £65! After conducting my own investigation it turned out that the ADSL splitter was broken and was rectified with a £6 replacement!
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Technical issues affect us all. I'm with plusnet and was having connection issues. Plusnet said if they came to look at it and the fault was ours it would cost £65! After conducting my own investigation it turned out that the ADSL splitter was broken and was rectified with a £6 replacement!

£6? For one filter? There's a pack of 3 on Amazon for £6.45.
AS
Asa Admin
Does anyone remember, years ago, the TV Forum Archive, which I recall mainly because the logo had 'TV' in an orange bubble, and people thought it was a preview of a future new look (it wasn't).

Now there's a blast from the past!! Yes, I think I was having issues with excessive database load so decided to offload old threads into static (xml) files.

I've just tried finding it and it still works!

Anyone remember when we had PresNews too?

IT
itsrobert Founding member
Crikey I don't remember either of those. I must have a selective memory for some things. I do vividly recall the design of the site at the time of that PresNews screengrab. By the way, Asa, really hoping you might put together some sort of gallery of images like this for our 20th birthday celebrations next year. If you have them, it would be great to see how the site has evolved over the years. I'd love to see the original March 2001 design in particular. That would be a real blast from the past.
Rexogamer, MarkT76 and Josh gave kudos
VM
VMPhil
That's amazing, I had completely forgotten about PresNews. Tried getting up the TVF Archive on the Wayback Machine but all the images were missing, started to think I'd imagined the orange colour scheme.

Funny looking at that thread list, so many things we still have threads about now. I like the formality of the statement 'Continuing discussions of SM:tv still acceptable'!
JB
JasonB
Asa posted:

Now there's a blast from the past!! Yes, I think I was having issues with excessive database load so decided to offload old threads into static (xml) files.

I've just tried finding it and it still works!

Anyone remember when we had PresNews too?

I don't recall the orange logo at all and i was around at the time!
AS
Asa Admin
I've not spotted any downtime as such, best try with another internet/mobile connection if it happens again.

rob posted:
Seeing a link to the 9/11 thread elsewhere has me wondering if it would be possible to compile a list of links of threads of major presentation changes, news events and the like over the years?

A good idea, it could be categorised into major news/channel rebrands etc. I think it'll be quite a manual process though so needs a bit of thought how best to do it.

Crikey I don't remember either of those. I must have a selective memory for some things. I do vividly recall the design of the site at the time of that PresNews screengrab. By the way, Asa, really hoping you might put together some sort of gallery of images like this for our 20th birthday celebrations next year. If you have them, it would be great to see how the site has evolved over the years. I'd love to see the original March 2001 design in particular. That would be a real blast from the past.

I'm not 100% sure why it was such a different design/logo for the archive. Maybe I just wanted to try something new, or it was testing the waters to see the reaction? Not sure.
Finding the original two-day message board might be a bit of a stretch although I do still have the script files so there may be a way of resurrecting it. I've just found a page and in-between old and new forums I must have put up the following message for visitors:

Quote:
New Forum:
Thanks to the success of the TV Home Forum, I've relaunched it using new Bulletin Board Message System.

This new system offers more features including re-editing of messages, search and an improved interface.
You are required to register to post on the board (click 'Register' at the top left of the next page.)
It's quick and requires no more than a username, password and email address.

Existing messages have been included on the board. The forum isn't completed as images and layout may change over the coming weeks.

Very hip there with the "bulletin board message system" Very Happy
JO
Josh
For the major events board, maybe we could create a thread and people could link relevant events?

Newer posts