TV Home Forum

New BBC Local Radio jingles

Launched on Radio Leicester (January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
Also even though it's one of the "nations" stations, BBC Radio Scotland is also getting a new Reith-ed logo.

Sorry if it's big but you get the idea. Happened to have found this on the Sounds website
Radio Ulster and Radio nan Gaidheal are possibly going to be Reithed next.

Looks nice
BR
Brekkie
Joe posted:
That's not really different to any BBC radio station, though, local or national.

Yes, very rarely see BBC Radio advertised now - it's almost always a pointer to BBC Sounds.
ST
steveboswell
I think having "Radio" in lower case works much better than the all-caps they've stuck with for English local radio. The new Scotland 'map' looks a little bit out of proportion, but that's very smart otherwise.
SH
Sh1ruba
why are they so discombobulated? and why hasn't BBC Radio London got the new jingles yet?

I was thinking the same thing about Radio London still using the old jingles.
Probably they don't like them or they don't sound London-y enough

Though if they were to be on Radio London, their slogan would be either "The sound of London" or "The sound of the capital"
Last edited by Sh1ruba on 17 September 2020 9:20am
Rexogamer, Anglialad and DeMarkay gave kudos
RW
Robert Williams Founding member
why are they so discombobulated? and why hasn't BBC Radio London got the new jingles yet?

Though if they were to be on Radio London, their slogan would be either "The sound of London" or "The sound of the capital"

Radio London are meant to be getting them - jingles have been produced for them, including sung versions in case they want to use them. And they are already using the new style imaging around the 6am 'BBC Radio London Update'. The delay in adopting them fully does seem to give the impression that they don't like them, however, and I'm not sure they will the suit the station that well.

My guess is they will introduce them to coincide with their 50th anniversary next month.

They definitely won't use 'The Sound of the Capital', though, because that would be referencing the name of a station from a rival organisation.
SH
Sh1ruba

Radio London are meant to be getting them - jingles have been produced for them, including sung versions in case they want to use them. And they are already using the new style imaging around the 6am 'BBC Radio London Update'. The delay in adopting them fully does seem to give the impression that they don't like them, however, and I'm not sure they will the suit the station that well.

My guess is they will introduce them to coincide with their 50th anniversary next month.

They definitely won't use 'The Sound of the Capital', though, because that would be referencing the name of a station from a rival organisation.

So it's probably gonna be "The sound of London" then, sounds a bit generic but that should stop Global getting on their case.
EM
Emily Moore
Some of them are "the sound of [area]" while others have gone for a very generic "the sound of where we live". I'd imagine BBC Radio London will be "the sound of London".

I'm not a fan of these jingles, but part of it is the way they're used on air. I'm listening to a BBC local while I type this, and the on-air presenter uses production designed to be an hour opener for every single link (as listed on this page, the full hour opener with the build and everything!), with the jaunty bed twittering away in the background and plenty of good old "fader w***ing". When they get used like this, they get very irritating very fast. Didn't the new package come with a manual/style guide?
Last edited by Emily Moore on 17 September 2020 11:45am - 2 times in total
RW
Robert Williams Founding member
BBI45 posted:
Also even though it's one of the "nations" stations, BBC Radio Scotland is also getting a new Reith-ed logo.

Sorry if it's big but you get the idea. Happened to have found this on the Sounds website

Heads up to anybody who can't see it, it's an entirely white image. Switch to dark mode.

That logo looks quite nice. I wonder if/when we'll see new logos for the national stations.

They've just announced the launch of a new stream (definitely not a station or channel!), Radio 1 Dance, and the logo, which can be seen here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4rHD2NK7KhRLkQH1wNBqjvy/radio-1-dance-stream-to-launch-this-october fits into the existing format, just about, so it doesn't look like any change to the national stations' logos is imminent.
JO
Jonny
Re the new BBC Radio Scotland logo - lovely bit of joined up thinking there with the sentence case "Radio" in Reith.

Over in England, the local radio stations are rolling out new logos with uppercase "RADIO" in Reith.

And for a full house, BBC Radio Wales has it set in all lowercase.

Oops.
SH
Sh1ruba
So it turns out BBC Radio London do intend to use the ReelWorld jingles soon, but they want to have voiceovers rather than sung vocals.
But ReelWorld did make versions with vocals in case the station changes their mind.

One of the guys at ReelWorld showed off the jingles at Radio Days Ireland 2020, and at the end are the questions which reveals why BBC Radio London haven't updated as they're more "grown-up and speech-focused" according to ReelWorld.

It's great they've recorded new jingles for London, now if only Radio London can make that phone call!

Rexogamer and DeMarkay gave kudos
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
BBI45 posted:

Heads up to anybody who can't see it, it's an entirely white image. Switch to dark mode.

That logo looks quite nice. I wonder if/when we'll see new logos for the national stations.

They've just announced the launch of a new stream (definitely not a station or channel!), Radio 1 Dance, and the logo, which can be seen here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4rHD2NK7KhRLkQH1wNBqjvy/radio-1-dance-stream-to-launch-this-october fits into the existing format, just about, so it doesn't look like any change to the national stations' logos is imminent.
That looks ridiculous
BG
Big-G
BBI45 posted:

That looks ridiculous

Yes that logo is not easy on the eye. Then again I'm in my fifties and not their target audience.

G

Newer posts