The Newsroom

ITV News

Split from ITV News 2013 Rebrand (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JE
Jez Founding member
True. The lunchtime news should be 3 minutes but have the weekend news back to 15 minutes. I liked the mid morning national and regional news during this morning. if they brought it back that would be great.

I cant see them bringing that back but they need 3 minutes at lunchtime (not including the weather) and 6 or 7 minutes at weekends. Even when a 15 minute slot was given half of it seemed to be filled with back to back trailers.
BA
Ballyboy
Or 10 minutes at lunch?
MA
Macalolo
Jez posted:
True. The lunchtime news should be 3 minutes but have the weekend news back to 15 minutes. I liked the mid morning national and regional news during this morning. if they brought it back that would be great.

I cant see them bringing that back but they need 3 minutes at lunchtime (not including the weather) and 6 or 7 minutes at weekends. Even when a 15 minute slot was given half of it seemed to be filled with back to back trailers.

Six and a half minute weekend bulletins and 11am weathers will return by the end of this month
Universal_r, Jez and Ballyboy gave kudos
JE
Jez Founding member
Jez posted:

Six and a half minute weekend bulletins and 11am weathers will return by the end of this month

that's great news. What about weekday lunchtimes and the 4pm regional weather?
BR
Brekkie
Tom Bradby is marking 30 years at ITN. He's posted his highs and lows on Facebook which are quite interesting. Don't think we can embed Facebook so I'll quote them.

Quote:
Thirty years ago today, I walked into ITN to begin my first job as an Editorial Trainee. The time since has spun by and I am very grateful for all the brilliant colleagues who have made it such a fantastic experience. Here are a few reflections on those thirty years;

BEST DAY – The declaration of the first IRA Ceasefire in 1994. I couldn’t quite believe it was happening. To this day, I find it a great source of hope in relation to human conflicts everywhere.

WORST DAY – Getting shot in Jakarta during a riot in 1999 A big thank you to my cameraman Sean Swan and soundman Russ Padwick for patching me up and getting me out of there. The footage of Sean swearing at everyone who is trying to rob us as he attempts to stem the bleeding in my leg is something to see.

MOST IMPACTFUL SCOOP – Probably the documentary last year in which Harry and Meghan admitted just how unhappy they were in the royal family.

BIGGEST MISSED SCOOP – The IRA Ceasefire. I was told on the Friday before that it was going to happen by a senior member of the Intelligence Services. I went looking for further corroboration and the Observer ran the story in the meantime. I learned the hard way that sometimes, when you have a good relationship with someone and he or she is very senior and in a position to know something for sure, then one source is good enough.

AN UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCE – What transpired after I told Prince William his phone was probably being hacked by the tabloids. I had no idea of the scale of it or of what would subsequently unfold.

BEST ASPECT OF THE JOB – People; colleagues, contacts and indeed meeting viewers. I am really missing the social side of the job during Covid.

WORST ASPECT OF THE JOB – The increasing hostility towards journalists and the number of people traducing our motives. We are far from perfect, but people will miss us when we are gone.

Don't think you can even call yourself a journalist unless you've been shot at.
RA
radiolistener
They are no longer journalists, just repeaters. They repeat what they have been told.
:-(
A former member
Tom Bradby is marking 30 years at ITN. He's posted his highs and lows on Facebook which are quite interesting. Don't think we can embed Facebook so I'll quote them.

Quote:
Thirty years ago today, I walked into ITN to begin my first job as an Editorial Trainee. The time since has spun by and I am very grateful for all the brilliant colleagues who have made it such a fantastic experience. Here are a few reflections on those thirty years;

BEST DAY – The declaration of the first IRA Ceasefire in 1994. I couldn’t quite believe it was happening. To this day, I find it a great source of hope in relation to human conflicts everywhere.

WORST DAY – Getting shot in Jakarta during a riot in 1999 A big thank you to my cameraman Sean Swan and soundman Russ Padwick for patching me up and getting me out of there. The footage of Sean swearing at everyone who is trying to rob us as he attempts to stem the bleeding in my leg is something to see.

MOST IMPACTFUL SCOOP – Probably the documentary last year in which Harry and Meghan admitted just how unhappy they were in the royal family.

BIGGEST MISSED SCOOP – The IRA Ceasefire. I was told on the Friday before that it was going to happen by a senior member of the Intelligence Services. I went looking for further corroboration and the Observer ran the story in the meantime. I learned the hard way that sometimes, when you have a good relationship with someone and he or she is very senior and in a position to know something for sure, then one source is good enough.

AN UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCE – What transpired after I told Prince William his phone was probably being hacked by the tabloids. I had no idea of the scale of it or of what would subsequently unfold.

BEST ASPECT OF THE JOB – People; colleagues, contacts and indeed meeting viewers. I am really missing the social side of the job during Covid.

WORST ASPECT OF THE JOB – The increasing hostility towards journalists and the number of people traducing our motives. We are far from perfect, but people will miss us when we are gone.

This sums up why I like him so much. He’s been there and done that. Is he the best presenter on tv? Of course not. But his experience and knowledge is what gives him gravitas and makes him an engaging watch.
EJ
EJNutz
Emma Murphy now taken up the role of US Correspondent. Robert Moore staying on as a correspondent based in the US
SA
StarlightArthur

Quote:

This sums up why I like him so much. He’s been there and done that. Is he the best presenter on tv? Of course not. But his experience and knowledge is what gives him gravitas and makes him an engaging watch.

Personally I find him the most bizarre appointment, certainly as NAT anchor. Thoughts shared by many employees at ITN and viewers alike *that I speak with. He was brilliant, prolific and everything else outside of the studio, but that anchor chair turned him into something/one to dislike.

That main role belongs to Julie Etchingham, end of story. She does Breaking News better than anyone on any channel in my opinion, and NAT with her eyes closed. Nina and Mary also wipe the floor with open ended coverage. In fact I can't recall a time Tom's been rushed on with Breaking News. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
AM
Alfie Mulcahy

Personally I find him the most bizarre appointment, certainly as NAT anchor. Thoughts shared by many employees at ITN and viewers alike *that I speak with. He was brilliant, prolific and everything else outside of the studio, but that anchor chair turned him into something/one to dislike.

That main role belongs to Julie Etchingham, end of story. She does Breaking News better than anyone on any channel in my opinion, and NAT with her eyes closed. Nina and Mary also wipe the floor with open ended coverage. In fact I can't recall a time Tom's been rushed on with Breaking News. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I disagree personally. Whilst Julie is brilliant I think Tom has the edge. By making the storys belivable and human
SA
StarlightArthur

I disagree personally. Whilst Julie is brilliant I think Tom has the edge. By making the storys belivable and human

Tom is dramatic and lacks gravitas, respect from the viewer, he didn't fair well with viewer research. Etchingham is the firm favourite with viewers. I'll try find the research.
BR
Brekkie
Emma Murphy now taken up the role of US Correspondent. Robert Moore staying on as a correspondent based in the US

I was saying a couple of months ago he must be one of the longest serving correspondents in the same role - think it's about 20 years. I guess both will stay to cover the election, and then Robert move on to whatever he is doing next.

News at Ten isn't about breaking news though, it's about reporting and analysis. Tom has been an excellent appointment in relation to how dominant politics has been in recent years, even if it did very much upset the applecart and lead to some major casualities. I absolutely agree Julie Etchingham is the best newsreader ITV have got, but I think Tom has proven himself.

Personally I wish considering ITV News airs most Sundays at 10pm they added a full Sunday edition as well (especially as when Peston aired at 10.15 it did quite well) and then had a more equal Buerk/Sissons style split of the bulletins with them both doing three most weeks.
Last edited by Brekkie on 18 September 2020 12:10am

Newer posts