TV Home Forum

Smtv Live reunion

(August 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
I have a vague memory of Brian Conley guest presenting a few times and being really good (as you’d expect) - was this still in the A&D days?
JA
james-2001
I know he co-presented an edition of SM:TV gold, one of the afternoon (and I think pre-recorded) editions which Stephen wasn't on.
AA
Amber Avenger
SM:tv Gold was basically a very narrow look at the "glory years" of about 18/24 months of the height of the Ant and Dec era - it also practically ignored anything post Ant and Dec, although there were a couple of sketches shown here and there. As we know H & Claire have been involved in the doc, although how much will make the edit will be interesting but it'll probably be more than they got on the Gold shows.

After all the upset from Brian Dowling and the recent Big Brother repeats, you'd hope he would have been invited to be interviewed too.

I think it’s fair to say that people are generally only interested in the Ant, Dec and Cat period. H & Claire, Brian Dowling and anyone else that followed were presenting SMTV in name only.

Yeah, without a doubt and I certainly wasn't complaining about the focus of Smtv Gold (trust me) , like you say hardly a head scratcher. Simply pointing out by interviewing H & Claire that seems to be giving more credit to them in the documentary than the Gold era - at this early stage anyway!

There does seem to be a lot of late era Smtv on YouTube at the mo, lots of "final episodes" for many of the presenters including the much discussed last episode.

Last edited by Amber Avenger on 17 September 2020 9:09am - 2 times in total
SW
Steve Williams
James Redmond was really witty in the sketches (notably as a posh bachelor in the Blind Date "Secret Of My Success"), but never really cut it as a straight presenter.

I've mentioned that before, because I had that episode, from November 2001, on an old tape for ages. It was the day Blind Date came back after The Premiership had been dumped out of primetime, and Cilla was a guest, so they did a Blind Date parody with James, as you say, absolutely brilliant in it, he was so funny and the cast and crew were in absolute hysterics. He'd been a guest a few times and totally got it - I remember him appearing quite regularly on T4 around the time and being equally good value and very likeable - and I always assume that was when they decided to offer him the job. It's fair to say he didn't make that much impact when he took over but, as I say, he'd already been overshadowed by Brian from day one.

Yeah, and recorded on a monday (i was in the audience). Usually on a pre record theyd do the live show on sat morning then the other show in the afternoon which must have been a long day! In the ant and dec days youd know it was recorded as they removed the clock. A famous exception was when they did new years day 2000 live from a bed in the chums flat after celebrating all night.

Great show, that, they all cheerfully admitted after it that they carried on drinking all the way through the show. As you say, the disappearance of the clock was always the giveaway it was a pre-record. Although there were clearly more pre-records during SMTV Gold because of the numerous occasions it was dumped in the afternoon, I don't think there was a massive ballooning in the number of pre-records, they did quite a few during the imperial phase.

One I certainly remember came in 1999, as it was during the period when there was some kind of dispute with F1 and ITV couldn't show qualifying live (F1 qualifying much like test match cricket on the Beeb as a regular cause of the Saturday morning shows being truncated), but at the last minute the dispute was resolved and they could show it live. That day's SMTV was pre-recorded so Ant and Dec had to come in to do an additional link at 11.30 to say that despite what they'd been saying all morning, CDUK wasn't on next but later in the afternoon.

And during 2004 and 2005 it seemed to be completely random who'd be presenting it, Cat frequently wouldn't be there in the months leading up to her leaving, and some weeks they flew Holly down from Maidstone, which means she wasn't there for the second half of MoM. And the less said about the 2005 revamp, the better.

If anyone remembers, CD:UK was meant to come back on Channel 5, with Dave Berry (who was the most regular presenter between Cat leaving and the 2005 revamp) and Caroline Flack as hosts, but for whatever reason it didn't happen. At the end of the final episode they seemed pretty confident they'd be back though.

Yeah, I remember that, they kept up the line all the way through that it was "the last CDUK for a while" because as you say the intention was they'd be selling the format to someone else, which as you say was Channel 5. But it never appeared because I think the sponsor pulled out and they couldn't find another, and they couldn't afford it otherwise. I think that was also the reason why an intended replacement for CDUK on ITV never appeared either. Was quite a pivotal moment for pop TV, that, within a few months in 2006 both Top of the Pops and CDUK ended, and Simon and Miquita left Popworld. Popworld did carry on for another year, but it was a proper end of an era.

Funnily enough they showed a clip from Cat's last CDUK when she was on The One Show the other day, as Ronan Keating was on it who's hosting The One Show this week. As you suggest, when she left there was a right revolving door of presenters, the Wiki page suggests Holly Willoughby did it every other week with someone else in between. What probably also didn't help was that in the summer of 2005 it actually moved full-time to Sunday mornings for about three months, it used to be that in F1 weeks it would be truncated or moved but seemingly they wanted to give it a regular slot (maybe it was easier to pre-record in advance if it was always the same length) but I wonder how many people got out of the habit, especially when Popworld was on at the same time.

The revamp was pretty ropey too, I think it was a big mistake to stop using the official chart (the midweek version, at least), which always made it look more up to date and more exciting than Pops, in favour of the made-up one. I suppose the target audience didn't mind if they made up the chart as long as they played the records they wanted to hear, but it made it seem just like any other pop show. And the new presenting trio never gelled, Lauren Laverne is brilliant but it never worked out with that trio. CDUK had always managed to marry talk and music much better than whenever Pops tried it, but there was probably too much talk. I know there were three presenters when Ant, Dec and Cat did it, but that was really two for the price of one.
JA
james-2001
CD:UK did feel to me like it started to go downhill quite rapidly once SM:TV ended. It felt like detatching it from the main Saturday morning show, and pre-recording it frequently, sapped the life out of it.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Yeah, without a doubt and I certainly wasn't complaining about the focus of Smtv Gold (trust me) , like you say hardly a head scratcher. Simply pointing out by interviewing H & Claire that seems to be giving more credit to them in the documentary than the Gold era - at this early stage anyway!

Pretty savvy to include H & Claire as they can talk about performing on the show as well as presenting it. Four talking heads for the price of two, as it were.
JA
james-2001
I think the only aknowledgement SM:TV Gold did of H & Claire was showing a Big Bother sketch on their final show. And that was it. I don't think they even showed any other short clips of their time on the show.

Also, I hope we get another Dec Says/Secret of My Success. Kirsty must be in her 30s now!
TL
toby lerone 2016
I think the only aknowledgement SM:TV Gold did of H & Claire was showing a Big Bother sketch on their final show. And that was it. I don't think they even showed any other short clips of their time on the show.

Also, I hope we get another Dec Says/Secret of My Success. Kirsty must be in her 30s now!

And another Challenge Ant, bit unsure what they are doing if they are going to have a mix of features/new material and talking heads looking back at their time on the show but looking forward to it. Also hoping Ant & Dec's plan of bringing it back some morning at 9.25am happens in the future.
FO
FanOfTV99
They could try and do a special one off SMTV live in the near future. Maybe they could do what GMB did and show it at primetime and after the football. They could do it next year with the Euros coming up and stuff.
JA
james-2001
We already had SM:TV at prime time... it was called Slap Bang and it bombed.
ME
mediaman2007
Its a cliche but maybe things should just be left in the past sometimes? The beauty of SMTV and other sat morning shows was it was a kids show with a lot of nods to adults and could be enjoyed on an adult level. However it was still a kids show and as slap bang proved too mad and silly for primetime.
AA
Amber Avenger
We already had SM:TV at prime time... it was called Slap Bang and it bombed.

I don't think Slap Bang failing 19 years ago is a reason not to do Smtv as a one off in prime time. If people were suggesting a series I'd agree, but the brand has reconition, they'd have Cat and Ant & Dec are a bonefide prime time success now.

Not saying it'll happen - Ant & Dec have said they'd love to do a morning one if it did - but if it doesn't, it won't be because of Slap Bang IMO.

Newer posts