TV Home Forum

Family Fortunes is back

Split from ITV Programming Thread (September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WO
Worzel
Great news! I really like how they have reintroduced the original theme music. It's a bit hard to tell from the clips shown, but is that actually *the* original or a new version? It sounds great whatever the answer.

I think it's a slight remix of the 1993 version (IMHO, the best version of the theme).

MarkT76 and SuperSajuuk gave kudos
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Well if it's a remix then it's very faithful to the original. That's always a good thing. I agree with you, Worzel, that theme for me *is* Family Fortunes. I just about remember the previous theme on its original airing (I have heard it a lot on Challenge repeats) but it's the 1993 theme I really grew up with. I used to love watching FF back then, so it will be good to see it return on Sunday.

The theme tune aside, I am really very pleased they are using 'proper' families rather than celebrities and their families. I always enjoy seeing the public on gameshows as they tend to be a lot more amusing.
DM
DeMarkay
I take it this version was an original composition?
DJ
DJGM

Ooh the original theme music is back!

Great news! I really like how they have reintroduced the original theme music. It's a bit hard to tell from the
clips shown, but is that actually *the* original or a new version? It sounds great whatever the answer.

It sounds like the original but with a slight 2020 reworking and more oomph at the end.

<pedant>
That isn't the original Family Fortunes theme tune in the trailer, but sounds like the later arrangement of the FF theme from the Les Dennis hosted, Central/Carlton era, which is of course more familiar than the ATV/Central era FF theme composed by Jack Parnell.
</pedant>

That said, an arrangement of the VK era theme would've been fine.
KE
kernow
Recent ITV promos in the past day or two have the voiceover state "On ITV and ITV HUB".

Its like the days of on Channel name and Channel name HD all over again.

The BBC have been doing a very similar thing for quite a while, where voiceovers state things like "On BBC One and iPlayer"
GM
Gary McEwan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0ycHHcC0xI

That's yet another reworking and rearranging of the 1993 version.
JA
james-2001
I admit I'd like to see the dot matrix screen make a comeback, but technology's moved on far too much for that.
DE88, MarkT76 and PFML84 gave kudos
JO
Jon

Is it a reworking or a something that has vaguely similar sounding elements?
WH
Whataday Founding member

I still get baffled that no one can hear the familiar Family Fortunes theme in that reworking.

There was a heated debate about it on here years ago to the point I not only got confirmation from the person who reworked the theme, but also created a video illustrating it (comparing it to the 2001 theme as it seems to borrow most from that version).

Clearly I didn't have much of a life at the time.
DE88, Spencer and Brekkie gave kudos
JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member

That isn't the original theme music - which was premiered with Bob Monkhouse in 1980. This theme can be heard in the Max Bygraves repeats airing on Challenge at the moment.
WH
Whataday Founding member
That's something which has already been corrected a few posts up, but while it's not the original theme, it's certainly the most familiar.
DM
DeMarkay

That isn't the original theme music - which was premiered with Bob Monkhouse in 1980. This theme can be heard in the Max Bygraves repeats airing on Challenge at the moment.

What I meant was, I'm more familiar with Les Dennis' era.
MarkT76, Jon and Juicy Joe gave kudos

Newer posts