TV Home Forum

The Weakest Link - US Reboot

Some interesting format and presentation changes

AG
AxG Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
I've always thought German chancellor Angela Merkel could have been a perfect host of TWL.

That's probably one of the weirdest things I've ever read on TV Forum. Shocked
JO
Jon Central (West) Midlands Today
AxG posted:
I've always thought German chancellor Angela Merkel could have been a perfect host of TWL.

Yes, usually it’s gameshow host first then world leader, not the other way round!
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today
Jon posted:
AxG posted:

Yes, usually it’s gameshow host first then world leader, not the other way round!

JO
Jonwo
I think Rob Rinder or Tom Allen would be good for The Weakest Link.
CA
Cando London London
It also led to that brief “nasty host” craze circa 2001 when various shows tried to copy the formula, notably Alistair Stewart in the long-forgotten Carlton show ‘King of the Castle’ and Ulrika Jonsson in Dog Eat Dog.

Nasty Nigel Lythgoe did " The Enemy Within" for BBC daytime around the time of Popstars/Pop Idol as well.

I dare say Anne Robinson being mean to the contestants today would upset the so-called snowflake generation. "She said I was a useless chiropractor, that comment hurt me, can we sue the BBC?"

I'm pretty sure a clip went "viral" last year of Anne slagging of a contestant and there was the predictable outrage.
GM
Gary McEwan Central Reporting Scotland
I think the main issue was moving the production of TWL up to Glasgow.

I remember reading somewhere Anne saying that travelling back and forward to Glasgow was getting tiring
TI
This Is Granada UTV
I think the main issue was moving the production of TWL up to Glasgow.

I remember reading somewhere Anne saying that travelling back and forward to Glasgow was getting tiring

Moving to Glasgow for the last what was it 2 years or so??? I dont think this was the sole death nail for the show...but part of it. Its likely after 12 years, even if it was still at Pinewood, Anne would have called it a day.
Bring back the UTV!
CR
Critique Anglia (East) Look East
Wasn't the Children in Need special supposed to effectively be a pilot for the show coming back properly? I remember it being all a bit strange at the time, and ISTR they used the set from the French edition of the show or something as that was the only one left!

At the time I think I said that the Children in Need special would have worked better in my view if they dropped Anne's mean persona - it's just not a thing in quiz shows anymore so felt strange, especially the jarring change in personality from Anne doing the mean quiz bit to the nice 'please donate to Children in Need' bit.
623058: it just seems like your an mp3 whore
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
Is it a BBC format?

Was never the greatest fan of it to be honest but the Jane Lynch reboot looks decent enough. Does annoy me though it's branded "Weakest Link" rather than "The Weakest Link".
Turns out nobody had 2020 vision.
VM
VMPhil Granada North West Today
Wasn't the Children in Need special supposed to effectively be a pilot for the show coming back properly? I remember it being all a bit strange at the time, and ISTR they used the set from the French edition of the show or something as that was the only one left!

At the time I think I said that the Children in Need special would have worked better in my view if they dropped Anne's mean persona - it's just not a thing in quiz shows anymore so felt strange, especially the jarring change in personality from Anne doing the mean quiz bit to the nice 'please donate to Children in Need' bit.

It did lead to one of my favourite TV Forum posts, though. Yes, I have favourite TV Forum posts.

Children in Need at the cutting edge of entertainment as per usual it seems.

What shall we do for 2017? The Weakest Link?
GM
Gary McEwan Central Reporting Scotland
Is it a BBC format?

Was never the greatest fan of it to be honest but the Jane Lynch reboot looks decent enough. Does annoy me though it's branded "Weakest Link" rather than "The Weakest Link".

Reading all the info it's still BBC Studios with Jane Lynch as Executive Producer.
JO
Jon Central (West) Midlands Today
Is it a BBC format?

The format is certainly owned by the BBC how involved BBC Studios with the development of this version I’m not sure.

It’s always been branded ‘Weakest Link’ here too apart from the very first series or so.

Newer posts