TV Home Forum

Steph's Packed Lunch

Weekdays at 12.30 (September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Meridian AM
Turned it on and there was some dreadful 'world record setting' attempt at changing a nappy on a doll. Flicked back to the start, found it was all a bit shouty and echo-y. I just can't work out who would want to watch this - this has been dumbed down as far as TV can go, what a waste of the talent and Channel 4's remit.

It certainly doesn't sound as compelling as what used to be on in that slot

It was schools programmes and Sesame Street when I was a boy. Good times Very Happy
BR
Brekkie
Schools programmes used to let C4 pretty much write the morning off, and then an old film did the trick for a couple of hours in the afternoon. I suspect even Talking Pictures might be beating The Steph Show at that level.
JO
Johnr
I am not sure people are too interested in Christmas at the moment!

Also why on earth do they need some ‘consumer expert’ from The Sun? I thought Steph was an expert on all that!
Ittr, Flux and Meridian AM gave kudos
GO
gottago
90k for this yesterday. Same as the Kitchen Nightmares repeat before it. Somehow even less than the dreadful home-based version.

Just the show C4 needs in its current precarious position. Rolling Eyes

Because people were locked down at home when that was on. Ratings for most daytime things would have been higher at that time, surely?

Yes but I meant the ratings for the original show were already so low, I didn't think they could get any lower, even out of lockdown.

People really don't want to watch this. Countdown got 280k afterwards for comparison.
Ittr, Meridian AM and London Lite gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
What does C4 get from 3-6pm nowadays?
JO
Jonwo
Most if not all of Expectation's Channel 4 commissions have been turkeys.
TVVT, what and Brekkie gave kudos
MA
Meridian AM
Schools programmes used to let C4 pretty much write the morning off, and then an old film did the trick for a couple of hours in the afternoon. I suspect even Talking Pictures might be beating The Steph Show at that level.

I'm sure showing an old film would attract the same amount or even more viewers than Steph's This Morning rip-off.
JO
Johnr
Quite obvious how the competition caller obviously hadn't been watching the show today at all!
PF
PFML84
I could see this going the way of Davina McCall's ill fated talk show. Big push before it started, no-one watched and it quickly went away and died in a corner, never to be spoken of again.
FL
Flux
Johnr posted:
Also why on earth do they need some ‘consumer expert’ from The Sun? I thought Steph was an expert on all that!

This kinda sums up the main issue I've had with this show since it was first announced - in no way has it been developed and tailored to Steph's strengths. It's just a generic daytime show which anyone could present.
JO
Jon
I don’t think the Steph or even the format is particularly to blame. I just don’t think there is a gap in the market for Channel 4 to do a show magazine show or a gameshow in daytime that isn’t Countdown.

On a related note I’m surprised 4 hasn’t made efforts to pick up the Tour De France in recent years. It’s more popular now than when they used to show it and would surely deliver decent ratings for a few weeks.
Cando, London Lite and DeMarkay gave kudos
SO
Soupnzi
I could see this going the way of Davina McCall's ill fated talk show. Big push before it started, no-one watched and it quickly went away and died in a corner, never to be spoken of again.

That was a more high profile commission i guess. A big show on the main channel with a massive star. I agree this will die in a corner, but it will barely have been watched by anyone...and won’t even get the negative press Davina (and before her, Gaby Roslin) got

Newer posts