TV Home Forum

BBC publishes new list of highest paid presenters

4 Women in top 10 for first time

AS
Ash101
I’ve never really understood Gary being paid so much, because surely people watch MOTD for the football highlights? Not because it’s him presenting it?

Also shocked on the list to see how much more Zoe Ball earns compared to Sara Cox & everyone listed for Radio 1.
SP
Steve in Pudsey Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
I would imagine a big factor in what Zoe gets paid is how much her predecessor Chris Evans got paid.
Write that down in your copybook now.
MA
Markymark Meridian (Thames Valley) South Today
I would imagine a big factor in what Zoe gets paid is how much her predecessor Chris Evans got paid.

Out of interest, what did Wogan get paid before Evans took over? Evans broadly held the same audience figures , though I suspect not the same audience
CA
Cando London London
Wogan was on 800k a year back in 2006
HA
harshy Founding member
So they take away over 75 licence fee to pay for these highly paid stars, no wonder Zoe Ball is twirling away in her high heels with a £1.3 million wage packet, she is laughing all the way to the bank, as is big ears presenting footy highlights, he’s probably getting paid more by aunty Beeb then when he was playing for Tottenham Hotspur.
JO
Joe
This isn’t the Daily Mail comments section.
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today

That's the issue - arguably publishing pay is only driving the salary bill up because when expensive stars are axed their replacements will expect the same.
Turns out nobody had 2020 vision.
AN
all new Phil Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
I’m still waiting for BBC local radio breakfast show DJs to complain that their work is comparable to that of Zoe Ball and should be paid accordingly, much like the Samira Ahmed Newswatch case.
SE
TheSebastian
I’m still waiting for BBC local radio breakfast show DJs to complain that their work is comparable to that of Zoe Ball and should be paid accordingly, much like the Samira Ahmed Newswatch case.

If their work appeared on radio 2 and got a similar audience that would be fair. That was the Samira Ahmed case. The news channel show aired on a BBC one simulcast and obtained a very similar total audience as Points on View, and a judicial process agreed that was a fair comparison of value.
BBI45, Night Thoughts and Soupnzi gave kudos
MI
m_in_m Anglia (East) Look East

That's the issue - arguably publishing pay is only driving the salary bill up because when expensive stars are axed their replacements will expect the same.

Somehow the BBC need to bring the pay for the Radio 2 Breakfast show into line with their other stations.

It looks like:
* Radio 1 - £1,527 per programme (probably less)
* Radio 2 - £6,476 per programme
* Radio 3 - under £1,000 per programme
* Radio 4 - £1,785 per programme
* 5 Live - under £1,000 per programme
* 6 Music - under £1,880 per programme (potentially significantly under given the other work included)

That figure stands out like a sore thumb but I struggle to see how they'll get it down without equally a huge backlash.
BF
BFGArmy Channel Channel Islands
I’ve never really understood Gary being paid so much, because surely people watch MOTD for the football highlights? Not because it’s him presenting it?.

Indeed the Lineker one stuck out to me as you've got Mark Chapman who has a pretty similar portfolio. Both present a MOTD edition each week and during a major international football tournament Chapman will be on the radio just as frequently as Lineker is on TV. And that's without mentioning the weekly 5 Live shows Champan does and the fact he also presents other sports like NFL and Rugby League on TV for the Beeb. Yet Lineker is paid multiples more than Chapman. And as you say people will watch the live games & MOTD for the football not because it's Lineker presenting (whereas with something like radio people do tune in partly based on the broadcaster).
SP
Steve in Pudsey Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)

Somehow the BBC need to bring the pay for the Radio 2 Breakfast show into line with their other stations.

It looks like:
* Radio 1 - £1,527 per programme (probably less)
* Radio 2 - £6,476 per programme
* Radio 3 - under £1,000 per programme
* Radio 4 - £1,785 per programme
* 5 Live - under £1,000 per programme
* 6 Music - under £1,880 per programme (potentially significantly under given the other work included)

That figure stands out like a sore thumb but I struggle to see how they'll get it down without equally a huge backlash.

I don't disagree. But it needs to be done gradually to prevent it looking like they are paying a woman less then they paid a man for the same job.

Rock and a hard place.
Write that down in your copybook now.

Newer posts