TV Home Forum

LNN move to ITN confirmed.

(October 2003)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
From what I have heard it is JUST the news operation moving to ITN.

The rest of the company (Transmission, Factuals, ISN, and the library) will be staying under the LNN banner.

In terms of the weather.. it would make sense for that to move to ITN too - but because its sponsored, it can't be contained in the main bulletin. It has to standalone!
NH
Nick Harvey Founding member
Simon Harries posted:
I hear they're closing the LWT Bar as well?! That's a real shocker.

Oh no!

That'll mean the end of an era.

Never again will we here those magic words "Sorry mate, I WOULD buy you one, but I've only got 50p on me"!
A former member
Whataday posted:
If LNN is moving to Grays Inn Road, could this mean that the national weather could be moving to ITN too? If so, it would be good to have the forecaster in the ITV News studio as part of the news programme.

Not entirely sure what logic that is based on, perhaps V Graham Norton will be moving to ITN too after all that's based at the south bank as well Confused
JO
johnofhertford
The weather forecast comes from the same studio as London Tonight. Graham Norton doesn't! So more logical than you think and a very good chance it will happen. Not that it will look any different of course, unlike London Tonight, which will look very different.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
johnofhertford posted:
The weather forecast comes from the same studio as London Tonight. Graham Norton doesn't! So more logical than you think and a very good chance it will happen. Not that it will look any different of course, unlike London Tonight, which will look very different.

Maybe they'll CSO in the shot from the window overlooking the Thames, News 24 style. Laughing
JO
johnofhertford
They might. Or maybe by the time the move takes place there'll be a new look for ITV national news and a corresponding new look for all the ITV1 regional news programmes (in England and Wales at least).
FR
freddy
johnofhertford posted:
They might. Or maybe by the time the move takes place there'll be a new look for ITV national news and a corresponding new look for all the ITV1 regional news programmes (in England and Wales at least).

I think this is more likely. ITV are keen on an homogenised look for regional news a la BBC.
A former member
johnofhertford posted:

They do use the London Tonight studio, but they have no particular reason why they need to, all it needs is a green wall. The studio isn't going anywhere, but it won't be staffed anymore... but then BBC weather get by with self-op weather studios.
BO
boring_user_name
Technically speaking, won't this move actually be a step backward for LNN?
As far as I understand, the London news operation currently uses Beta SX, with a totally non-linear editing system. However, some parts of ITN still use tape to tape!
Also, isn't the london tonight gallery capable of 16:9, whilst ITN is still strictly 4:3?

Anyway, when is ITN converting to 16:9?
LL
London Lite Founding member
boring_user_name posted:

Also, isn't the london tonight gallery capable of 16:9

Seeing that the national and London weather forecasts come from the London Tonight studio, I would of thought so, which makes me think, why is LT still in 4:3?
NG
noggin Founding member
LNN at the South Bank is based on Beta SX tape and servers.

ITN at Grays Inn Road is now almost universally DVCPro (I think rather than DVCam) and Quantel DV based servers.

There is little to chose between the two in quality terms - though DV is arguably slightly higher quality than SX.

London Tonight has a 16:9 capable studio and gallery - and one camera is run in 16:9 for the weather (the gallery doesn't have to be switched to 16:9 for this) AIUI the only reason LNN don't run 16:9 currently is because ITN is 4:3 - and they don't want an aspect switch during the integrated bulletins. (Anglia DO broadcast some of their news as 16:9 - though their gallery is 4:3 and they crop and zoom to 14:9 pillarbox. AIUI UTV are the only 16:9 local news operation in ITVland - though I may be wrong)

However most of ITN's galleries are also 16:9 capable - as they are, with one exception, digital component based, and almost all digital component kit is aspect switchable (where this is needed). Whether they all have switchable cameras I don't know - though they have at least one 16:9 camera to do the Sir Trevor links for Tonight. They have run their operation in 16:9 for state occasion coverage (such as HM Queen Mother's funeral) - though this doesn't require 16:9 kit in the gallery...

There is no technical reason why ITN could not provide 16:9 weather.
A former member
Martin Phillp posted:
boring_user_name posted:

Also, isn't the london tonight gallery capable of 16:9

Seeing that the national and London weather forecasts come from the London Tonight studio, I would of thought so, which makes me think, why is LT still in 4:3?

There is no real diffrence between a 16:9 gallery and a 4:3 one (except perhaps the shape of the wipes on the vision mixing desk) . The output of the studio is only dependant on what the camera and other devices output.

Newer posts