TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RD
rdd Founding member
So the NFL’s back, and Sky using the “reverse-L-bar” (or Sky Sports News mode) on Sky NFL - looking very nice, and much nicer than it does on SSN itself - I must say that Sky Sports NFL has definitely had the best implementation of the new logo, with the studio relit to suit the new look.

Also, I know we’ve talked a bit about German TV lately, and I’ve also had a chance to catch Pro7’s NFL coverage tonight, which is called “Ran” for reasons I’m not really sure of and is quite bizarre in its presentation, with the studio/commentary team taking an er, relaxed view of the proceedings (think a Soccer Saturday style feel but only covering one game) and a third chap who seems to have the sole job of reading tweets and showing Instagrams of people watching the NFL.
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member

BR
Brekkie
Some people wouldn't be happy even if he did it for minimum wage, although the replies there are overwhelmingly positive.

I assume the BBC only actually have Premier League rights confirmed for this season and next, though it would be a surprise if they went elsewhere.
MI
Michael
rdd posted:
I’ve also had a chance to catch Pro7’s NFL coverage tonight, which is called “Ran” for reasons I’m not really sure of

German word for "gridiron" is rost, so Rost Amerikanischer Norden / National ?
MI
TheMike
rdd posted:
I’ve also had a chance to catch Pro7’s NFL coverage tonight, which is called “Ran” for reasons I’m not really sure of

German word for "gridiron" is rost, so Rost Amerikanischer Norden / National ?

"Ran" is the brand name used for sports programmes on Sat.1 and ProSieben. Although I believe the name was originally used for Sat.1's Bundesliga highlights show in the 1990s.
MI
Michael
Ah so it's like their version of Grandstand?
MI
TheMike
Ah so it's like their version of Grandstand?

Not quite - you won't find them jumping from one sport to another like Grandstand did, but just a brand name to unify live sports on the ProSiebenSat.1 Group channels. There's also a sports news website @ https://www.ran.de/
JO
Jon
So it’s more like the ‘BBC Sport’ in that regard then?
DV
dvboy
All live TV pictures from the Italian Open in Rome have gone down so Prime Video are currently having to fill from the studio.
ST
Ste Founding member
World feed seems affected too just showing the draw and the order of play tomorrow sometimes commenting on the scores in matches that are ongoing.

They have just got pictures back as of 2120.
DV
dvboy
Prime Video have added their own score box in the absence of any graphics on the world feed.
First time I have seen them do this.
BR
Brekkie
Prime's tennis coverage has improved immensly since they began a couple of years ago, but that DOG is so unnecessarily large and not what you expect of a premium service.

Newer posts