TV Home Forum

Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

Sunday 8pm on ITV (February 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
Oh, absolutely. I think the Millionaire revival though has been a bit more respectful of quizzes though, whilst part of the appeal of the original initially was the phone in process widened the net.

Still wish they hadn't spoiled it - just saying someone reached the million pound question would have been enough. Indeed might have enticed the viewers hoping to see someone get the £1m question wrong - unless I'm mistaken (and I often am) I don't think anyone on our version has got it wrong.

I might be wrong but I’m sure Clarkson’s first series skewed more towards the ‘characters’, and hence not much money was won.

Clarkson showed his displeasure and I think in future series they’ve skewed more towards intelligent types, like the early Tarrant days, who have a real chance of doing well.

Do we think the winner really was the last contestant on the last show, or could he have been originally on Monday’s Show, and once he won, they recorded some new links as there is no way they’d have the million pound winner on the first show. Tue to Thur had carry overs so I’m guessing they aired as recorded
Alfie Mulcahy and Soupnzi gave kudos
JO
Jon
I think it’s very possible, it could have been recorded before the run of 4. It just seems too convenient. Not that it really matters as it all worked very well and felt like it was in sequence.

With regards to your other point, I have no problem with ‘intelligent types’ as you put it but as I keep saying there needs to be a better balance between successful middle class types and people who’s life is going to be significantly changed by a decent win. The old lady from earlier in the week is a good example, she lost £31,000 and she acted like it was Monopoly money. Where is the drama in that? She really might as well have been playing for the Pointless trophy. That said I think this week of episodes have been a bit better for that.
BR
Brekkie
The only thing odd about last night was no indication it was the end of the series, although the competition date suggests more episodes may follow.
JA
jamerscruickshank
Hello, I am new to TV Forum. I found the website through looking into the life of the BBC News veteran Peter Sissons and found the archived discussion here absolutely fascinating - a real treasure into the life with so many interesting points being discussed. Thanks to the owner of the website for producing such a delight to discuss television presentation. But of course, with my maiden post and to keep on topic that I am replying to, WWTBAM! You know, I did not get many answers to the questions on the run up to £1million BUT I did watch a documentary recently about Blackbeard of all things. If I were sitting in that chair, I would have got that one correct as I remember he died at North Carolina and the moment the question came up I thought Blackbeard before the answers appeared. Darn' it! I was wondering though, was it an easy question? Perhaps made a little easier than normal to help get a jackpot winner due to the 14 years hiatus from such a feat? Just a thought! Hello everyone!
CA
Castries

Do we think the winner really was the last contestant on the last show, or could he have been originally on Monday’s Show, and once he won, they recorded some new links as there is no way they’d have the million pound winner on the first show. Tue to Thur had carry overs so I’m guessing they aired as recorded

Wouldn't have needed much 'work' to do - he must have been the last contestant of the night as otherwise FFF continuity fails, and each other show just has a quote to seeing you next time at the end (as opposed to see you on Tuesday). Record two links at the end - see you next time / just goodbye and you've gotten your options. I would have thought they'd record a few more links considering how often the show is stripped so they could say see you tomorrow / next week / same time / 9 o clock etc.

FFF really puts a spanner in the works when it comes to the option of keeping the host in the same clothes and moving the players around the series at will. Covid could have been an excuse to see if producer-chosen contestants would be more entertaining than this gate which keeps the more normal players out of the hot seat.

Only thing which would have made Friday's show better would have been if the winner had done a John Carpenter and called his brother to gloat and his Dad to celebrate on the final question - producers could have suggested this as a way to add some emotion to the win.
Last edited by Castries on 13 September 2020 11:18am
JA
JAS84
Clarkson did say sorry to the other four FFF contestants.
JO
Jon
The Clarkson version looks like it’s getting an airing in Australia.
https://tvblackbox.com.au/page/2020/08/16/nine-to-air-jeremy-clarkson-edition-of-who-wants-to-be-a-millionaire-in-australia/?amp
DM
DeMarkay

This was in August.
JO
Josh
And in merchandising news, Lewis Capaldi has released clothing based on his recent question on WWTBAM:

https://merch.lewiscapaldi.com/collections/who-is-lewis-capaldi/products/who-is-lewis-capaldi-tee
https://merch.lewiscapaldi.com/collections/who-is-lewis-capaldi/products/who-is-lewis-capaldi-hoodie
BR
Brekkie

This was in August.

As happens so often in Australia it was pulled from the schedule days before it was due to air and will now air later this year.
GM
Gary McEwan
Over in the US, ABC have put out their Sunday Games promo...

https://www.facebook.com/57480265794/posts/10158503248195795/
JO
Jon
Also spoiling a celebrity wins a $1 Million.

Newer posts