TV Home Forum

GMB using split screen for presenters

Split from This Morning (September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AA
Aaron_2015
No GMB thread to post this in now, so who knows if I’m posting in the right place ... but they’ve tried introducing a similar effect to This Morning to make it look like Piers and Susanna are sat together. However, it’s really just a basic split screen — half of St Paul’s is cut off, and the backdrop generally just doesn’t match.
IS
Inspector Sands
Maybe they should just deliberately inconsistently rack the cameras to make it a bit less subtle?
WH
Whataday Founding member
No GMB thread to post this in now, so who knows if I’m posting in the right place ... but they’ve tried introducing a similar effect to This Morning to make it look like Piers and Susanna are sat together. However, it’s really just a basic split screen — half of St Paul’s is cut off, and the backdrop generally just doesn’t match.

I'm guessing this would be suited to the "Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows" thread now.
PE
Pete Founding member

I'm guessing this would be suited to the "Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows" thread now.

or we could have a "split screens in the same studio" thread?
JO
Josh

Piers Reid or Susanna Morgan?
LL
Larry the Loafer
The reboot of Face/Off looks awful.
JO
Josh

Not wanting to get too off topic similar to how we have recently but I think GMB does need some tweaking for the split screen effect to work as well as TM.
BR
Brekkie
Well unlike This Morning and Live with Kelly they've not even tried to make it look like a seemless shot - that's just a standard split screen.

Let's not make this the defacto GMB thread though.
JO
Josh
Looks like it's been split away now, so that's good.
AD
adamiow
Hopefully, they will tweak the backdrop to make it work a bit better.
DW
DavidWhitfield
They employed a special 'space' background for the interview about the potential for life on Venus which provides an interesting alternative look at how the split screen effect works.

If you ignore the fact that Piers' left arm gets cut off slightly in the centre, it's a relatively convincing effect to the casual viewer, but I concede it would be harder to pull off with their usual backdrop.

This Morning have done it well, though, so I'm sure that if GMB really wanted to, they could achieve similarly good results with their usual London backdrop.
Last edited by DavidWhitfield on 15 September 2020 7:04pm
FL
Flux
I preferred the boxed graphic two shot they’ve been using since social distancing was implemented. That always looked quite classy, like a stylistic choice. This looks messy.

Newer posts