TV Home Forum

ITV & the Olympics

(September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
RR posted:
In general, unlike the World Cup, where the BBC agreed to split the games outside the final, there was no agreement for the Olympics, and in such a case the viewers would historically always choose the commercial free network for effectively the same pictures.

The other two European PSBs that used to share big ticket sports events jointly were Germany's ZDF and ARD. They never simulcast anything, either one or the other I think ? Because of that they'd often also share on site tech facilities and studios too.

I've got a feeling that government broadcasting legislation required that manner of sharing ?
JA
james-2001
Don't ARD and ZDF do alternate days?
MA
Markymark
Don't ARD and ZDF do alternate days?

Something like that I think ?

Now I know how Thames and LWT must have felt about Christmas Day
BG
Big-G
I've not checked this on Wiki, but in 1984 didn't ITV, heavily promote, and show the sci/fi programme V against the nightly BBC Olympic coverage? Also would this be one of the first series to be stripped nightly across the week? Again 36 years is a long time ago and my memory could be playing tricks with me.

G
SW
Steve Williams
Big-G posted:
I've not checked this on Wiki, but in 1984 didn't ITV, heavily promote, and show the sci/fi programme V against the nightly BBC Olympic coverage? Also would this be one of the first series to be stripped nightly across the week? Again 36 years is a long time ago and my memory could be playing tricks with me.

They did indeed show V during the Olympics, and it's often been referred to as their replacement for the coverage, but I think the ITV coverage would have been a bit like 1972 with much shorter programmes than the Beeb, so I think they were always going to show V regardless.

ITV did strip a few mammoth American mini-series over a couple of nights in the early eighties, things like The Winds at War which was a big show at the time - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Winds_of_War_(miniseries) - would be shown twice or three times a week over two or three weeks.
BR
Brekkie
Am I right in thinking ITV never touched the Winter Olympics.
SW
Steve Williams
Am I right in thinking ITV never touched the Winter Olympics.

No, but they did cover winter sports on World of Sport, and at the height of Torvill and Dean's success they did a lot with figure skating, covering the World and European Championships and so on alongside the Beeb. Barry Davies writes about this in his book, the Beeb were used to covering them alone before ITV turned up, and they lavished quite a lot of attention on them, as the Beeb would generally link it all out of vision with Barry filming any in-vision links all in one go at the start at the event, but ITV brought a whole outside broadcast unit and linked it all live on site, meaning on one day Barry was introducing the event on the Beeb in bright sunshine, while Nick Owen was on ITV in the middle of a blizzard.

Barry says that ITV massively overhyped some of the skaters that followed Torvill and Dean and suggests that Karen Barber and Nicky Slater, particularly, were a bit overwhelmed by it all and it dented their confidence a bit. And when the UK stopped winning so much, ITV stopped.
DE88, bilky asko and UKnews gave kudos
TO
Tom03
Have wondered how things might have panned out if it had been ITV rather than the BBC who had gone solo with the games in 1992. Back then the scheduling was very different to what we're used too now - live coverage was very much concentrated on key events but there were large chunks of the days when there was no coverage on air, with quite a bit left to highlights later at night, so on the whole scheduling them around things like the news, CITV and the breakfast franchise wouldn't have been an issue.

As an aside to that I wonder what would have happened had either Birmingham would the Olympic bid in 92 or either of Manchester's bids had won because if I remember correctly Granada was supposed to be the IBC for the Manchester bids.
MA
Markymark
Tom03 posted:
Have wondered how things might have panned out if it had been ITV rather than the BBC who had gone solo with the games in 1992. Back then the scheduling was very different to what we're used too now - live coverage was very much concentrated on key events but there were large chunks of the days when there was no coverage on air, with quite a bit left to highlights later at night, so on the whole scheduling them around things like the news, CITV and the breakfast franchise wouldn't have been an issue.

As an aside to that I wonder what would have happened had either Birmingham would the Olympic bid in 92 or either of Manchester's bids had won because if I remember correctly Granada was supposed to be the IBC for the Manchester bids.

Granada would not have been able to provide an 'IBC' with their then existing facilities.

With the 1994 Winter Olympics in Lillehammer the IBC was a purpose built facility. After those games part it was repurposed as NRK's regional centre for the area, (the remainder became a college)

The NRK part had a couple of studios, that they used for the games, and these were retained . However the vast bulk of the IBC equipment was only a rig for the event, and all ripped out again.

A similar thing may well have happened in Manchester
TO
Tom03
Tom03 posted:

Granada would not have been able to provide an 'IBC' with their then existing facilities.

With the 1994 Winter Olympics in Lillehammer the IBC was a purpose built facility. After those games part it was repurposed as NRK's regional centre for the area, (the remainder became a college)

The NRK part had a couple of studios, that they used for the games, and these were retained . However the vast bulk of the IBC equipment was only a rig for the event, and all ripped out again.

A similar thing may well have happened in Manchester

Ah I may have misread or misunderstood what I've seen before then. Wonder if ITV would have helped out broadcasting the Olympic s in those circumstances or whether there would have been a similar setup to the 02 Commonwealth games.
BR
Brekkie
Yes, perhaps Granada would have got a new set of studios as a legacy of the games, but no doubt their existing facilities wouldn't have been sufficient - plus they'd have been out of use for the best part of a year too in order to prepare.

21 days later

TI
tightrope78
Here's a clip of ITV/Channel 4's Olympic coverage from 1988. It seems to be coverage of the Opening Ceremony, without actually showing much of the ceremony itself!

Typical ITV reliance on human interest stories and relatives of the athletes.

Newer posts