TV Home Forum

Steph's Packed Lunch

Weekdays at 12.30 (September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
what
Overall a good effort today, they need to be a little quicker with the mics though. Quite a few times Miquita or Venus spoke without their mics being faded up. Sounded bad and really echoey.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Can't fault the studio or Steph's delivery, but it's a tick box clone of This Morning purely produced to ramp up the hours on C4 from the north of England.

Miquita Oliver should be made a co-presenter and the show name reverted to 'Packed Lunch'

Editorially it appears to be less tabloid than the ITV 'rival' with female skewed topical conversation and the Angus Deayton feature a nice touch to break up the show.

IMHO, this isn't the right vehicle for Steph, C4 have at their disposal an excellent journalist who could be put to better use in prime time with documentaries or mass market formats. Not this.
HJ
HJL
Interestingly it isn’t on 4od yet. Just went to watch the first segment but can’t!
BR
Brekkie
IMHO, this isn't the right vehicle for Steph, C4 have at their disposal an excellent journalist who could be put to better use in prime time with documentaries or mass market formats. Not this.

I suspect that is where she'll end up in a year or two. I suspect as sometimes happens with self titled shows the show may end up being a better watch when the main presenter is away.
ST
Stuart
HJL posted:
Interestingly it isn’t on 4od yet. Just went to watch the first segment but can’t!

Nothing has been on 4oD since 2015. Perhaps you should be looking on All4. Shocked
LL
London Lite Founding member

I suspect that is where she'll end up in a year or two. I suspect as sometimes happens with self titled shows the show may end up being a better watch when the main presenter is away.

I'd agree with this. I wouldn't be surprised if Miquita is first choice to deputise anyway.

A thought that sprung to mind just now is that Channel 4 should have gone for the La Quotidienne format on France 5, where there's topical discussion, a panel of regular columnists including one per week who talks about a different subject such as pets or nutrition and the traditional cooking segment. It seems more C4 than the This Morning lite format they've gone for.
Last edited by London Lite on 15 September 2020 1:26am
JB
JexedBack
Not too bad.
Steph was very shouty and the studio had lots of echo.
It did feel half an hour too long.

Still think it would be better at 5pm
HJ
HJL
HJL posted:

Nothing has been on 4oD since 2015. Perhaps you should be looking on All4. Shocked

Sorry forgot how vexed people on here get over literally nothing. Zipper
WH
Whataday Founding member
I usually still call it 4oD. I keep forgetting it's called All4 which isn't surprising as it's a terrible brand.
CR
Critique
I usually still call it 4oD. I keep forgetting it's called All4 which isn't surprising as it's a terrible brand.

In conversation, I feel like I'm much likely to hear other people refer to 4oD than they are All4 - it's surprising how 4oD has stuck around considering I would say I'm also much more likely to hear people refer to the ITV Hub rather ITV Player!

There's quite a lot of Channel 4 stuff on Netflix branded as being from 4oD still (including some stuff that's been promoted on the front page [for me at least] recently). More recent stuff is branded as Channel 4. The use of the 4oD brand on Netflix is a bit of an oddity in itself as you don't see the BBC branding their stuff on Netflix as coming from BBC iPlayer and so on. I think the 4oD stuff is also still preceded by an excerpt from one of the lovely old blink and you'll miss it ident sets.
JO
Johnr
Steph is also the Dictionary Corner guest on Countdown from Wednesday, wonder if she'll have thought to wear the same clothing on the Packed Lunch show to maintain continuity!
GO
gottago
90k for this yesterday. Same as the Kitchen Nightmares repeat before it. Somehow even less than the dreadful home-based version.

Just the show C4 needs in its current precarious position. Rolling Eyes

Newer posts