The Newsroom

NewsNation-new national news channel

Scheduled debut Sept 1 from WGN Chicago (January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NY
NYTV
From what I've seen of NewsNation, it feels like they've spent $20m just to put on local anchors, but the set is very nice in comparison to some of the local station sets.

I feel the same. Outside of Dean Reynolds (EX-CBS News) and Rob Nelson (ABC News and WABC-TV New York), the rest of the talent were picked up from local stations, some of whom weren't owned by Nexstar(ex: Ji Suk Yi formerly of ABC7 Chicago and Rudabeh Shahbazi of CBS 4 Miami)
Last edited by NYTV on 13 September 2020 3:02pm
RO
Rogo23
NYTV posted:
From what I've seen of NewsNation, it feels like they've spent $20m just to put on local anchors, but the set is very nice in comparison to some of the local station sets.

I feel the same. Outside of Dean Reynolds (EX-CBS News) and Rob Nelson (ABC News and WABC-TV New York), the rest of the talent were picked up from local stations, some of whom weren't owned by Netflix (ex: Ji Suk Yi formerly of ABC7 Chicago and Rudabeh Shahbazi of CBS 4 Miami)

Just to clarify Netflix does NOT own WGNA, Nexstar Media Group does.
NY
NYTV
NYTV posted:

I feel the same. Outside of Dean Reynolds (EX-CBS News) and Rob Nelson (ABC News and WABC-TV New York), the rest of the talent were picked up from local stations, some of whom weren't owned by Netflix (ex: Ji Suk Yi formerly of ABC7 Chicago and Rudabeh Shahbazi of CBS 4 Miami)

Autocorrect strikes again. My mistake
BR
Brekkie
NYTV posted:
NYTV posted:

Autocorrect strikes again. My mistake

Well your phones mistake really.
LL
London Lite Founding member
I suppose on balance, it's cheaper for Nexstar to commission a three hour daily news programme in peak than to make their own or buy in output for WGN America.

14 days later

LL
The NewsNation copy issue takes another twist.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/9/28/exclusive-nexstar-quietly-makes-policy-change
NY
NYTV
At the end, the whole incident over the video can end up being the downfall of News Nation and possibly create ill feelings between the networks and Nexstar when the affiliation renewals happen.

119 days later

WW
WW Update
A major shakeup at NewsNation:

https://www.robertfeder.com/2021/01/25/rebranded-newsnation-moving-joe-donlon-solo-news-hour-6-p-m/

Excerpt:

Quote:
After five months as co-anchor of NewsNation, the signature primetime newscast on WGN America, Joe Donlon is being reassigned as solo anchor of a one-hour news show at 6 p.m. Monday through Friday.

“The Donlon Report,” billed as a mix of “news and interviews with today’s newsmakers,” will premiere March 1 — coinciding with a rebranding of the Nexstar Media Group cable network from WGN America to NewsNation.

“We’ll dive into the biggest stories in news, sports, entertainment and culture while staying true to NewsNation’s mission of delivering objective journalism,” Donlon said of his new show.

Donlon was in his third year as principal news anchor at Nexstar flagship WGN-Channel 9 when he was tapped to launch the Chicago-based “NewsNation” in September along with co-anchors Marni Hughes and Rob Nelson, imports from Seattle and New York, respectively.

In response to dismally low ratings, Nexstar announced plans to cut the renamed “NewsNationPrime” from three hours to two.

[...]

Effective March 1, the NewsNation evening lineup will be:

5 to 6 p.m. NewsNation Early Edition with Nichole Berlie
6 to 7 p.m. The Donlon Report with Joe Donlon
7 to 9 p.m. NewsNationPrime with Marni Hughes and Rob Nelson
9 to 10 p.m. Banfield with Ashleigh Banfield
Last edited by WW Update on 25 January 2021 1:18pm
LL
So while there's a 5 hour news block, they're going to rebrand an entertainment channel as a news one which for 19 hours a day schedules old sitcoms and the like.

Slow clap Nexstar.
Jeffmister, CallumF and WW Update gave kudos
CF
CallumF
I suppose it's kind of the opposite of HLN who now only air live news in the morning and repeats at all other times? Except with NewsNation, it'll be at night. Got to wonder though - why bother?
LL
I suppose it's kind of the opposite of HLN who now only air live news in the morning and repeats at all other times? Except with NewsNation, it'll be at night. Got to wonder though - why bother?

HLN shows factual shows however outside the news hours.

Today on WGN America for example is JAG, In the Heat of the Night, Blue Bloods and Last Man Standing.
WW
WW Update
Another article:

Newer posts