The Newsroom

Internal Markets Bill

Coverage Thread (September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NL
Ne1L C
Just noticed on YouTube that at least 2 newspaper channels are carrying live coverage of the debate. The Telegraph’s coverage seems slightly blurry. Does anyone know what resolution they’re using?
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Right-click on the video and choose "Stats for Nerds". The line "Current / Optimal Res" is what you want.
NL
Ne1L C
Hmm it’s 1920x1080 at 30 FPS. Maybe it’s the frame rate that’s odd.
VA
valley
Looks like the SD feeds being upscaled to HD and also being converted from 50i to 30p...
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

IIRC YouTube changes everything to 30fps regardless. There's probably a reason why.

The feed from the Houses of Parliament on its official stream is only 480p SD, so I presume the Telegraph is upscaling it, as I believe the cameras in both chambers are not HD. The newer "eye level" ones may be able to do HD. The higher mounted ones probably can't.

The picture quality on BBC Parliament isn't particularly great either, the graphics look better than the feed itself.
NL
Ne1L C
That is true about BBC parliament’s coverage. To me 24 FPS seems more natural.
VA
valley

IIRC YouTube changes everything to 30fps regardless. There's probably a reason why.

The feed from the Houses of Parliament on its official stream is only 480p SD, so I presume the Telegraph is upscaling it, as I believe the cameras in both chambers are not HD. The newer "eye level" ones may be able to do HD. The higher mounted ones probably can't.

The picture quality on BBC Parliament isn't particularly great either, the graphics look better than the feed itself.

I commented on another thread earlier on that matter - it seems like the HoC feeds offered from Parliament to broadcasters are now HD. The cameras were upgraded previously (perhaps the 2019 summer recess, but I can't remember) along with the Shotoku robotic heads, it was the other infrastructure that was the problem resulting in lack of HD.

And yes, YouTube live streams are 30/60fps only.
ST
Stuart
The coverage is very good on BBC Parliament, and it's nice to see contributors not constantly interrupted. I may not agree with Gove's views, but he's quite an eloquent performer, as was May, who used to manage to talk for hours on end, week after week.
CM
cmthwtv
Feeling very nostalgic. Two days Brexit has lead the Ten.. Sufficient coverage on the beeb it's fair to say...
NL
Ne1L C
BBC Parliament is something of a hidden gem. To be fair most of the coverage is mind numbingly boring but to be able to see our democracy in action is reassuring and BBC Parliament does that superbly.

Newer posts