Media Websites

'Rota' talk on this site

Split from TV Forum: New for (the middle of) 2020 (September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PE
Pete Founding member
Can I reiterate my request from a few years back for an historical / reminiscing sub-forum. A quarter of the threads on the first page of the TV Home forum fit into that category, so it's not like there is a shortage of material. You could even call it The Archive (although randomly losing content would be an optional feature!).

No, it helps drown out the rota guff from the newsroom.
BA
Bail Moderator
I wonder if all rota talk should be... outlawed? Does anyone actually enjoy that stuff?
JA
Jamesypoo
Careful suggesting some people don't enjoy rota chat...
bilky asko and james-2001 gave kudos
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Bail posted:
I wonder if all rota talk should be... outlawed? Does anyone actually enjoy that stuff?

Maybe we need a new Rota sub-Forum and all the rota crap can be dumped in there out of the way, so I (and other honourable members who don't give a monkeys about it) can post on here without being subjected to a 20 page discussion on why Fred was in the 9-1 slot for the last three weeks and today he wasn't.
JA
james-2001
Even threads on GMB, This Morning and Loose Women seem to degrade into rota chat pretty quickly, even when people try to direct them elsewhee.
PE
Pete Founding member
Bail posted:

I mean that's the dream. Would it be quieter on here. Yes. But I'd rather be able to read through things without having to suffer rota garbage.

A new presenting team, with a press release about it, is fine. (eg the question of sport thing today)

But its all this stuff that is just either logging or speculation about newsreader working hours. It's creepy. It always has been.
RO
rob Founding member
Bail posted:

Yes. A thousand times yes.
JA
james-2001
Is that a yes it should be outlawed, or a yes I enjoy it?
RO
rob Founding member
Is that a yes it should be outlawed, or a yes I enjoy it?

Yes, it should be outlawed...
LL
London Lite Founding member
The only time rota chat is useful is when there's a significant change, not when Shaun Ley is off for a couple of weeks.
AS
Asa Admin
I've split the thread as this is worthy of a separate discussion.

I'm not entirely sure why anyone is discussing Loose Women on here to be honest. I know they had a couple of new looks in quite a short space of time but it doesn't feel like a thread that really belongs here.

If the feeling is that people want to discuss presenters but not too much, then we somehow need to find a boundary. Most of us would probably agree that comments like the following aren't particularly interesting.

UBox posted:
Alex presenting Thursday and Friday again this week.

Given said person is already a well-known part of the 'family' and having presented before, there's not much else to say. But where should the line be drawn? Presumably it would be acceptable if they announced Bill was coming back?

Maybe it's time to bring a few of these generic/long running threads to a close, and let the likes of GMB be discussed again when there's something of note. I'd be happy right now to lock the BBC News: Presenters, correspondent & rotas thread, ban threads like that and say to create a topic when some significant, specific development warrants it. Does that seem reasonable though or over-zealous?

There's a forum I came across the other day where off-topic comments were hidden behind a link, a bit like the spoiler tag, which is maybe an effective tool as a first step. If we're getting a number of off-topic posts from a poster then action can start to be taken.

But somehow we need to come to a consensus of what exactly this "rota" talk is.
JB
JasonB
Personally it doesn't really bother me who presents news on what day or what news hour. Nor am i interested in who sits in chair 1 or chair 2 on panel shows aimed at female audiences.

Newer posts