TV Home Forum

Sky Arts goes FTA

Available on Freeview channel 11 from Sept. 17th (July 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PF
PFML84
Sadly, it's mushy 544x576
RO
rob Founding member
Sky Arts (SD) on satellite is now broadcasting FTA and has Freesat data attached.

720 x 576 or mushy 544 x 576 ?

544 x 576.

Frequency: 12070
Pol: H
Symbol Rate: 27500 5/6
DVB-S
QPSK
Last edited by rob on 9 September 2020 7:17pm
MA
Markymark
rob posted:
Sky Arts (SD) on satellite is now broadcasting FTA and has Freesat data attached.

720 x 576 or mushy 544 x 576 ?

544 x 576.

Frequency: 12070
Pol: H
Symbol Rate: 27500 5/6
DVB-S
QVSK

It might still look marginally better than 544 x 576 on Freeview, but it's still going to look crap
PF
PFML84
With Challenge and Pick both 544x576 on Freeview, I can't see Sky Arts being anything but the same.
GO
gottago
Has anyone seen any publicity for this ahead of the free launch on Thursday? I thought there'd be a bit of a push but maybe they're waiting for it to appear on Freeview rather than make it seem like Thursday is an opening night.
BR
Brekkie
Not seen anything for Sky Arts but have seen ads about Pick moving to 34. Talking of which does Pick have different versions on Sky and Freeview?
CO
commseng
It's on 12,070H 27.5Msym/s if you want to have a look.
Looks very soft, so I suspect 544 x 576, but I can't tell for sure - might be source material of course, although I doubt that.

As it is a free to view, then the lower quality is ok, and if you do want it in HD, then there is a means of doing that, using your credit card.
ST
Stuart
Not seen anything for Sky Arts but have seen ads about Pick moving to 34. Talking of which does Pick have different versions on Sky and Freeview?

No, they are identical. I think Pick is often under-rated as a channel. Hopefully Sky Arts will find itself a larger audience by going FTA.
PF
PFML84
Looks very soft, so I suspect 544 x 576, but I can't tell for sure - might be source material of course, although I doubt that.

Confirmed already that it is 544x576, same as Pick and Challenge on terrestrial and satellite.
JL
J. Lyric
So - if my remembrance skills are working - today's the day Sky Arts is supposed to go FTA, correct?
JO
Josh
FTA from tomorrow.
MI
TheMike
Josh posted:
FTA from tomorrow.

Technically the satellite service dropped encryption last week - so you can already watch it on a free-to-air satellite receiver or on a Sky box without a card stuck in the slot.
Thursday is the day the channel is then officially added to Freeview and Freesat EPGs, that's normally done around lunch (Freeview typically does changes between 11am and 1pm; Freesat typically makes changes at around 1pm.).

Newer posts