TV Home Forum

New Sky channels: Crime, Comedy, Documentaries, Nature

Sky Documentaries, History and Nature now launched

AN
all new Phil Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
TTRWE posted:
Looks like the colour police have been called in to Sky Sports.

Looks like nobody bothered to see how they worked on graphics, if you want to see the worst one of the lot, press the red button on the F1 channel. The word sky is illegible.

These logos are awful, whoever designed them should be fired. It's like they designed them without any idea how they actually work on TV in practice.

The fact they're already having to hack them to be just white on various graphics because the transparent background doesn't work on air in many situations. If a design needs a hack on day one, it's bad design.

Sigh.
MA
Meridian AM Meridian (South) South Today
How will they do the Sky News DOG?
If it stays in the same top left of screen position, they will encounter the same transparency problems if the word 'sky' has no background fill colour (no matter what colour 'sky' is written in).
VM
VMPhil Granada North West Today
The new logos are fine, it's just the fact they've now got to deal with two different versions for use on light and dark backgrounds which makes things a little more complicated.

Though I am also a bit confused by why on the DOGs, they have still included the outline for 'Action', 'Arena' etc, it doesn't look very good.

Hopefully these are just teething pains which will be eventually resolved just in time for them to ditch the logos for solid colour background versions a year from now.
BBI45, Brekkie and Kunst gave kudos
ST
Stuart West Country (West) Spotlight
TTRWE posted:
Looks like nobody bothered to see how they worked on graphics, if you want to see the worst one of the lot, press the red button on the F1 channel. The word sky is illegible.

I've been saying for weeks that the 'unboxed logo' just couldn't really work for Sky Sports because of the requirement to have two colours to represent the brand. Every other channel has a single colour, apart from Arts, but that's in the boxed part.

If your signature colours are red and blue, then you need to make them both visible on promos and other graphics. If they need to, then swap the damn colours around again, so that the 'sky' is red on their blue sidebar on SSN. However, that means more new canvas signs hung outside pubs.

There isn't an issue with DOGs as the print version is fine, and disappears as on every other channel when the background is bright in that area of the screen.
JO
Joe
Why is there so much hyperbole on TV Forum these days? Why do posters keep calling for sackings, predicting that the BBC will shut down and saying that things aren’t good enough? There was a time when we’d say ‘that’s not to my taste’ or ‘that solution isn’t ideal’ and we’d all know what was meant.
AJ
AJ London London
Calling for sackings over a frigging logo.

I'm not sure Sky is the sort of company that fires people for something that would have had multiple levels of approval across brand teams and executive leadership 🤷🏻‍♂️
NL
Ne1L C Recently warned Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Joe posted:
Why is there so much hyperbole on TV Forum these days? Why do posters keep calling for sackings, predicting that the BBC will shut down and saying that things aren’t good enough? There was a time when we’d say ‘that’s not to my taste’ or ‘that solution isn’t ideal’ and we’d all know what was meant.

My view is that TVF like all of us are living in a time where many people have lost any sense of self-control and have become hysterical at the slightest thing that isn't to their liking.
Last edited by Ne1L C on 12 September 2020 8:06pm - 2 times in total
TT
TTRWE UTV World News
TTRWE posted:

I've been saying for weeks that the 'unboxed logo' just couldn't really work for Sky Sports because of the requirement to have two colours to represent the brand. Every other channel has a single colour, apart from Arts, but that's in the boxed part.

If your signature colours are red and blue, then you need to make them both visible on promos and other graphics. If they need to, then swap the damn colours around again, so that the 'sky' is red on their blue sidebar on SSN. However, that means more new canvas signs hung outside pubs.

There isn't an issue with DOGs as the print version is fine, and disappears as on every other channel when the background is bright in that area of the screen.

Agree totally with this.

Obviously I was trolling with the fact someone should be fired, but the fact that you all took it so seriously is quite amusing because I would have thought it was pretty obvious.

I still don't think the logo works at all though, there are obvious problems with why it doesn't work for Sky Sports and you'd have to question how it was signed off by multiple layers. The idea of having the channel name boxes for three sides and not the other and the word Sky just hanging off just makes it look like a graphic that was sloppily put together and needs fixing.

F1 has some issues. At the Skypad had a logo underneath the Skypad which looked okay in the new unboxed look, but the same logo on the screen you actually couldn't see the F1 part, you saw the new Sky Sports logo and then as the F1 was white on white, it didn't show at all. You could tell it was there, because the SKy Sports bit was off centre and if the F1 part was there on the end it would have been centred. Then on the On Demand on F1 you have very bright blue Sky on very bright red background which looked illegible.
NL
Ne1L C Recently warned Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
TTRWE posted:
TTRWE posted:

Agree totally with this.

Obviously I was trolling with the fact someone should be fired, but the fact that you all took it so seriously is quite amusing because I would have thought it was pretty obvious.

I still don't think the logo works at all though, there are obvious problems with why it doesn't work for Sky Sports and you'd have to question how it was signed off by multiple layers. The idea of having the channel name boxes for three sides and not the other and the word Sky just hanging off just makes it look like a graphic that was sloppily put together and needs fixing.

F1 has some issues. At the Skypad had a logo underneath the Skypad which looked okay in the new unboxed look, but the same logo on the screen you actually couldn't see the F1 part, you saw the new Sky Sports logo and then as the F1 was white on white, it didn't show at all. You could tell it was there, because the SKy Sports bit was off centre and if the F1 part was there on the end it would have been centred. Then on the On Demand on F1 you have very bright blue Sky on very bright red background which looked illegible.

Sky's designs have gone down the hill a lot in its history. To me the "circles" logos of the 90's were by far and away the best. They were bold, bombastic and truly memorable. Nowadays they're a bit yuk!
JA
JAS84 Yorkshire Look North (E.Yorks & Lincs)

Changing the logo at all means that anyway - though the pubs have plenty of time to update their signs considering they can't currently show football due to COVID restrictions.
VA
valley
JAS84 posted:

Changing the logo at all means that anyway - though the pubs have plenty of time to update their signs considering they can't currently show football due to COVID restrictions.

They can, as long as it is silent or at low level. Some prominent chains have decided not to show it, but there's nothing which says they can't show it.
And many pubs still have the old pre-2017 logo hanging outside...
RD
RDTallow London London
"Trolling with the fact someone should be fired" is rather immature during a time of uncertainty for many across the world.

Logo roll outs have teething problems, especially across multiple territories. Have some thought of all the teams involved who have delivered, working day and night. Sky continues to deliver new channel after new channel whilst all working remotely.

Opinions are fine but keyboard warriors need to calm down.

Newer posts