TV Home Forum

A Question of Sport axe Sue, Matt and Phil

Sue's replacement confirmed? - p7 (September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
https://www.tvzoneuk.com/post/sue-matt-phil-axed-from-a-question-of-sport

The BBC have axed all three, who will be replaced next series.

Personally I think it's great news - I used to watch regularly but have found it very tired in recent years and have never enjoyed watching Matt and Phil, especially the latter. It needs a refresh badly, but not just with the regulars but also with their guest line up. It's generally so uninspiring and they seem to struggle much more to get current stars than they used to now.
Last edited by Brekkie on 19 September 2020 10:34pm - 2 times in total
BFGArmy and JamesLaverty1925 gave kudos
JO
Jon
How up on his sport is Rylan?
AA
Amber Avenger
Mark Chapman did a decent job on the radio version during lockdown, wonder if he might be in with a shout to come to TV.

I didn't realise just how long the current three had been together, I thought Tuffers was a relatively new addition to the team but he's been on for 12 years so shows how much I've properly seen it of late.
BR
Brekkie
Yes, Mark Chapman would be my choice. I'd put money on Sam Quek as well being one of the captains.
DJ
DJGM
Snipped from the linked article in the OP . . .

"A BBC spokesman said:" "A source told the Daily Star on Sunday:" "This story was originally reported by the Daily Star on Sunday."

Rolling Eyes
RD
RDJ
I think it's very sad news. Sue, Matt and Phil obviously have a very close bond, though they've been doing it for so long. It's a shame that the BBC have axed them, rather than nudging them towards bringing it to a natural conclusion.

For Sue, this is her only regular TV spot other than Wimbledon. I'm guessing that's all we'll see her on now.
JO
Jonwo
Yes, Mark Chapman would be my choice. I'd put money on Sam Quek as well being one of the captains.

I think Alex Scott would be good either as a captain or the host. Hadn't considered Mark Chapman as a potential host, was thinking more on the lines of Gabby Logan or Clare Balding.

Something tells me that they'll try and get Peter Crouch as one of the captains. I think whoever they pick as captain will be relatively young and recently retired from their sport.
Last edited by Jonwo on 13 September 2020 1:37am - 2 times in total
Jeffmister and paultall1982 gave kudos
DE
DE88
Absolutely no disrespect intended - but I'm not going to believe that Sue, Matt and Phil have all been shown the door until it's confirmed by a genuinely reliable source (like, obviously, the Beeb itself).

When Deadline reported in mid-June that The Cube was returning, I opted not to believe this either, until it was confirmed by Objective in early July when they put out the invitation to apply ("this time the challenge is bigger than ever").

That's just me. Embarassed
RO
rob Founding member
Confirmed by the BBC...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54135771
bilky asko, DeMarkay and DE88 gave kudos
CA
Cando
https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/sue-barker-matt-dawson-phil-22673606

At the end of this a BBC spokesperson thanks Sue for her 23 years of service.

The show has badly needed a shake up for years.
DE88, JamesLaverty1925 and Brekkie gave kudos
GB
Gary Baldy
I think this was rumoured a while back anyway (well, Sue's axing)- I remember people saying Dan Walker would probably take over.
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
For some reason it reminds me a bit of Top Gear whereby when one left/sacked the other two decline to sign new contracts. I can't help wondering if something similar may have happened here if all three are leaving. I'd have thought the BBC would have preferred to retain at least one of them for ar least one season to provide continuity.

Newer posts