The Newsroom

Television News Helicopters

The definitive thread. (February 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GM
Gary McEwan
6 Helicopters covering a gas explosion in Baltimore today... Seems overkill!

For the US that's normal. Each helicopter will be for each respective local station I would assume.
AA
aaron_scotland
Skycopter heading north to Stonehaven train derail i would assume?

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/g-uktv#2531b429
valley and Universal_r gave kudos
NL
Ne1L C
Don't know if this is allowed but do any uk news channels apart from Sky have helicopters?
MA
Markymark
Don't know if this is allowed but do any uk news channels apart from Sky have helicopters?

Sky don't really have one, it's leased from Arena Aviation, as is the 'BBC' one too. Pictures from either are also made available to the other and to ITN, and so by extention the ITV companies, and C4 and C5
NL
Ne1L C

Sky don't really have one, it's leased from Arena Aviation, as is the 'BBC' one too. Pictures from either are also made available to the other and to ITN, and so by extention the ITV companies, and C4 and C5

Cheers.
IS
Inspector Sands

Well there's only one other news channel Wink

The BBC and ITN used to jointly hire a helicopter when one was needed. AIUI that deal has now ended, possibly because of the Cliff Richard thing

I'm not sure Sky's is actually theirs as such
MA
Markymark

The BBC and ITN used to jointly hire a helicopter when one was needed. AIUI that deal has now ended, possibly because of the Cliff Richard thing

I think the Captain Tom Spitfire fly pasts were all shot by one or other of the helicoptors, and the pictures shown live on BBC Breakfast, GMB, and Kay@Sky#News or whatever it's called
MB
Media Box
ITN has an agreement with Sky to buy into its chopper coverage on an ad-hoc basis (which replaces the original ITN agreement with the BBC). But sometimes, the BBC and/or Sky chopper pix are shared amongst all three members of the UK Pool - usually to negate the need for both choppers to go up on the same story, or to facilitate continuous chopper coverage throughout the day (whilst one of the choppers refuels).
VA
valley
ITN has an agreement with Sky to buy into its chopper coverage on an ad-hoc basis (which replaces the original ITN agreement with the BBC). But sometimes, the BBC and/or Sky chopper pix are shared amongst all three members of the UK Pool - usually to negate the need for both choppers to go up on the same story, or to facilitate continuous chopper coverage throughout the day (whilst one of the choppers refuels).

Yes, helped by the fact that the three primary UK-based newsgathering helicopters (G-UKTV in Sky News livery, G-INTV in BBC News livery, G-TVHD) are all operated by Arena Aviation. There have been times when the "BBC" helicopter has been on assignment for Sky, and vice versa.
AA
aaron_scotland

I think the Captain Tom Spitfire fly pasts were all shot by one or other of the helicoptors, and the pictures shown live on BBC Breakfast, GMB, and Kay@Sky#News or whatever it's called

Yes it was the BBC one for the flypast for Tom, Interestingly it looked like a BBC news truck downlinked it and uplinked it via sat as I assume it was a little too far away from the London receive sites.

30 days later

CO
commseng
Looking at Flightradar24, G-TVHD has been busy over Central London tonight for the Proms.
TE
Technologist
And providing Some stunning shots ......

Newer posts