The Newsroom

The Sky News Thread

(October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CW
CraigWills
JK08 posted:
The two chairs do look especially odd.
I'd like to see a small interview desk that could be moved in and out as required.
For the whole 'lion's den' vibe that they're going for, I think a face to face desk interview (a la Sophy Ridge) would fit much better.

Here's some pics of something Good Morning America use for one-on-one interviews. I feel like something similar would work.

The current chairs just make it look a little awkward, people don’t know where to put hands, the chairs themselves are too low, the whole set up for interviews looks like something you’d expect from a soft area on GMB when interviewing a showbiz guest, not when a rolling news channel is grilling public figures.
Last edited by CraigWills on 11 September 2020 5:57pm
DE
derek500
JK08 posted:
The two chairs do look especially odd.
I'd like to see a small interview desk that could be moved in and out as required.
For the whole 'lion's den' vibe that they're going for, I think a face to face desk interview (a la Sophy Ridge) would fit much better.

Here's some pics of something Good Morning America use for one-on-one interviews. I feel like something similar would work.

The current chairs just make it look a little awkward, people don’t know where to put hands, the chairs themselves are too low, the whole set up for interviews looks like something you’d expect from a soft area on GMB when interview a showbiz guest, not when a rolling news channel is grilling public figures.

...and putting their drinks on the floor looks especially naff!
TT
TTRWE
What's the story with the 'shaking' background in the new studio on the screens on Sky News Tonight?

When Gamal was on earlier, it was very apparent when on close ups of him on his own and Sam Coates on his own that the image on the screen was juddering every couple of seconds slightly to the left and back to the right, but the logos on top of it were not shaking.

Having looked back it didn't happen on AOP or KB.
VA
valley
TTRWE posted:
What's the story with the 'shaking' background in the new studio on the screens on Sky News Tonight?

When Gamal was on earlier, it was very apparent when on close ups of him on his own and Sam Coates on his own that the image on the screen was juddering every couple of seconds slightly to the left and back to the right, but the logos on top of it were not shaking.

There's a (known) synchronisation issue with some of the backgrounds.
SK
skyviewer
TTRWE posted:

Was yesterday also behind Beth when she was interviewed.
DE
derek500
It’s my last day at @Channel4News today, and what an amazing three years it’s been, filled with wonderful people, podcasts and politics. I’m off to @SkyNews in Washington DC for election madness and whatever else is thrown our way 🤩 pic.twitter.com/DcQlwpUdNN

https://twitter.com/sarahgoughy/status/1304510511858495489

Cordelia Lynch also came from C4 News.
TT
TTRWE
Just flicked on Sky Sports News which has relaunched and considerable more witness there than previously, can't see Sky News going the other way. The logos with borders around the channel name but not the Sky Sports bit look terrible and sometimes the transparent logos simply don't work on the backgrounds and are barely legiable, and some of the hacks they've made are terrible.

I guess there must be some recruitment for the colour police soon, must be running out of resources if they're starting a long term assignment at Sky Sports as well as Sky News.
Last edited by TTRWE on 12 September 2020 1:37pm - 2 times in total
VA
valley
TTRWE posted:
Just flicked on Sky Sports News which has relaunched and considerable more witness there than previously, can't see Sky News going the other way. The logos with borders around the channel name but not the Sky Sports bit look terrible and sometimes the transparent logos simply don't work on the backgrounds and are barely legiable, and some of the hacks they've made are terrible.

I guess there must be some recruitment for the colour police soon, must be running out of resources if they're starting a long term assignment at Sky Sports as well as Sky News.

Witness?
ST
Stuart
TTRWE posted:

Witness?

I think he's referring to the meaningless background 'colour' of Sky Witness. Having a black box on a black background means nobody sees your box. Razz
VA
valley
TTRWE posted:

Witness?

I think he's referring to the meaningless background 'colour' of Sky Witness. Having a black box on a black background means nobody sees your box. Razz

Doesn't make sense in the context... I guess TTRWE meant "whiteness"?
skyviewer and TVViewer256 gave kudos
TT
TTRWE
Whiteness yeah, SSN has headed towards less colour, as seen on Sky News, rather than retaining it's blue.

Even the scrolling headings on the scrolling bar are now white.

Makes me wonder if they'll end up with something like this for the studio too

The end of the day though, how this relates to Sky News is that if you think we're going to head to some colourful graphics then I just can't see it happening. All the direction of travel on the Sky branding seems to be using less colour, not more, I would imagine and refresh we see of Sky News will be along these lines, maybe there will be a little more colour, but not a huge amount.
MO
Mouseboy33
How boring. Ugh the colour drain at Sky is like....like a spreading pandemic.
Universal_r, Ittr and Meridian AM gave kudos

Newer posts