The Newsroom

The Yorkshire and Lincolnshire Thread

TR
trevormon London London
I guess the different hubs are tackling this in individual ways and depending on what each presenter can do at home. In London Kate Kinsella appears to be doing the TV forecasts in front of a green screen. I've seen a presenter from another hub or region do the same.

The picture quality isn't bad either considering it's done on an iPhone. The cost of doing it at home with a cheap green screen kit compared to a studio means it might well continue after things return to normal.
HA
harshy Founding member
Is it me or is the Leeds set on Look North very poorly lit even the pictures on the screens look dull and lighting bouncing off it if that makes sense also are they using cameras from the mid 90s I noticed there’s black bars left and right.

I like how they got animations working though almost as good as the real thing.
SP
Spencer Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
I think the lighting’s currently a bit better than it was in the past. In the days of the old lightbox set, it looked *really* gloomy. But yeah, it’s still not great.

I guess the problem with the big screen is that in such a small studio, there’s always going to be a certain amount of light spilling onto it if they have to light the presenters sat slap bang in front of it.
SP
Steve in Pudsey Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
The cameras are pretty crappy, a particularly poor Thompson model I believe.
Write that down in your copybook now.
SP
I’m sure some of their cameras are better than others. On some shots the picture looks dreadful and smeary, whereas on others it’s vaguely passable. Not sure if some are in better nick than others or if they’ve been set up differently.
DE
deejay Oxford
If Leeds have the Thomson 1707 cameras then they do struggle. (They’re also 20+ years old now). There’s a trade off between adding gain (which results in a lot of noise in my experience of them) and adding more light to the studio so you can close the iris a bit, but then you have to deal with the spill from those lights so that set elements aren’t washed out. For a long time, the studio I used to work in with those cameras had a back projector screen with a not particularly powerful lamp, so the cameras were wide open, with gain and the studio lamps running at 70% and closely barndoored. We still never managed to get a massive amount of light out of the screen and there was always a trade off. It was so much better when a new set went in and it was all LCD screen based. The cameras now run at around f4.0 and no gain and the lamps run a little higher at around 80%. But at the end of the day, they’re still 20+ year old Thomson cameras.
Two minutes regions...
Spencer, Mike W and Steve in Pudsey gave kudos
HA
harshy Founding member
If Leeds have the Thomson 1707 cameras then they do struggle. (They’re also 20+ years old now). There’s a trade off between adding gain (which results in a lot of noise in my experience of them) and adding more light to the studio so you can close the iris a bit, but then you have to deal with the spill from those lights so that set elements aren’t washed out. For a long time, the studio I used to work in with those cameras had a back projector screen with a not particularly powerful lamp, so the cameras were wide open, with gain and the studio lamps running at 70% and closely barndoored. We still never managed to get a massive amount of light out of the screen and there was always a trade off. It was so much better when a new set went in and it was all LCD screen based. The cameras now run at around f4.0 and no gain and the lamps run a little higher at around 80%. But at the end of the day, they’re still 20+ year old Thomson cameras.

Surely the bbc can’t be that skint can’t they buy some new cameras?
VA
valley

Surely the bbc can’t be that skint can’t they buy some new cameras?

Well, the lower-end studio cameras aren't exactly cheap and it's more than just buying a few cameras particularly when going from early 2000s to 2020 models. Not sure of Leeds' exact setup at the moment, but it will require new CCUs for sure and may require new cabling if going from triax to SMPTE fibre, new lenses, new viewfinders, new robotic interfaces etc.

A studio camera upgrade can easily be £200k+ in capex. If the current setup works and looks tolerable on air, it can be hard to justify the expenditure.
LH
lhx1985 Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
I'm not sure it is tolerable on air though. Realplayer streams over dial-up internet often had a clearer picture.

The investment is overdue.
SP
What cameras do Hull use? Their picture quality has always been considerably better than Leeds’ despite both having small studios which opened within a few months of each other.
ST
South Today
Well if Look North is going to go solo perhaps they will remodel the studio space.
NL
Ne1L C Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Well if Look North is going to go solo perhaps they will remodel the studio space.

I hope they do. Personally I've never been a fan of the news being delivered from a sofa.

Newer posts

No further posts are being accepted for this topic