TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
DVB Cornwall
No apparent blanket Bundesliga coverage it seems from BT's EPG next weekend.
VA
valley
Soccer AM is "back in the studio", but actually doing the show from the carpark / John Arne Riise Arena.

BR
Brekkie
Yes, don't want it going the route of cricket and rugby. Is talk about CVC wanting to combine the rights of the English Premiership, Pro14 and European Cup which I think is ridiculous- should be some plurality in who has the rights and large all in one packages just exclude some broadcasters from even having a chance.
TL
toby lerone 2016
Yes, don't want it going the route of cricket and rugby. Is talk about CVC wanting to combine the rights of the English Premiership, Pro14 and European Cup which I think is ridiculous- should be some plurality in who has the rights and large all in one packages just exclude some broadcasters from even having a chance.

Hope Rugby doesn't go down the route of Cricket, we are 15 years down the line of Sky exclusivity on Cricket and the ECB created the Hundred and offered some T20 Internationals to get Cricket on Free to Air.

They are obviously hoping Sky might launch a Sky Sports Rugby Channel but Rugby has done it right having some matches on Pay TV and 6 Nations/Rugby World Cup and others on Free to Air, I would argue while Premier coverage is good the Pro14 has been diminished by going Pay and other tournaments such as the English Premiership / European Rugby Champions Cup are giving games to Channel 5 / Channel 4 respectively as they want the exposure again and I feel the 6 Nations would be diminished leaving free to air and this Prime deal could be a sign of things to come.
Jeffmister and japitts gave kudos
RD
rdd Founding member
A worry now on this side of the pond is that with this Autumn Nations Cup going to Prime Video in the UK but not Ireland, we do have the advantage of having free to air coverage of Ireland’s games maintained (a plus) but, as of now, no coverage whatsoever of any other games (which we would normally be able to watch via BBC/Sky/BT - although I’ll say nothing about Amazon’s apparent willingness to accommodate ROI subscribers who want to switch to the U.K. Prime Video library, as long as they can show some manner of a UK connection).

This is Six Nations Rugby’s first centralised deal for an Autumn tournament and is somewhat of a prelude to next year, when the Autumn International rights were intended to be centralised. Covid has thrown all that up in the air, but it seems there was a desire to allow the existing IRFU-RTÉ/C4 deal run its course. The fact that this tournament is (hopefully) a one off helps I guess, and the IRFU will then able to jump with the others when formal centralisation of the AI rights occurs. The IRFU is also intending to market this Nations Cup as the “Guinness Series” which reflects its existing Autumn International sponsorship deal. (Not sure who they’ll be marketing it to, since the stadium will be empty, but RTÉ will presumably refer to the games by the IRFU preferred title, and the fact that it is part of a larger tournament downplayed).
AJ
AJB39
I would imagine that another broadcaster in Ireland will pick up the remaining Autumn Nations Cup Rugby Matches in Ireland. Premier Sports, Eir or Virgin might be interested.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Just the four channels for Soccer Saturday this afternoon, News, ME, Premier League and Football. Meanwhile Darrell Currie takes the helm of BT Sport Score today.
BR
Brekkie

Hope Rugby doesn't go down the route of Cricket, we are 15 years down the line of Sky exclusivity on Cricket and the ECB created the Hundred and offered some T20 Internationals to get Cricket on Free to Air.

They are obviously hoping Sky might launch a Sky Sports Rugby Channel but Rugby has done it right having some matches on Pay TV and 6 Nations/Rugby World Cup and others on Free to Air, I would argue while Premier coverage is good the Pro14 has been diminished by going Pay and other tournaments such as the English Premiership / European Rugby Champions Cup are giving games to Channel 5 / Channel 4 respectively as they want the exposure again and I feel the 6 Nations would be diminished leaving free to air and this Prime deal could be a sign of things to come.

To be fair rugby has probably been the most freely available sport of the last 20 years and last season all four main free to air broadcasters had love matches, something I don't think was the case in any other sport.

We don't want to see tokenism in rugby as we see with the new cricket deal. I fear something like one live game FTA per round of the Six Nations would be sold as a good deal but the reason the 6N is so successful free to air is because you can watch the full story play out, not just selected matches and highlights.
VA
valley
Just the four channels for Soccer Saturday this afternoon, News, ME, Premier League and Football. Meanwhile Darrell Currie takes the helm of BT Sport Score today.

And Sky One...
IM
ImMaxClaydon
Has Pougatch left BT or is Currie filling in for whatever reason?
HA
harshy Founding member
Have they revamped soccer Saturday then I hope it has titles and music like this
VA
valley
Have they revamped soccer Saturday then I hope it has titles and music like thishttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkUMdPlUJQM

No... and the chance of ever seeing anything like that ever again is basically zero.
dosxuk and bilky asko gave kudos

Newer posts