TV Home Forum

TV Breakdown Appreciation Thread

We'll return as soon as possible.

SP
Steve in Pudsey Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
The 'Signal Loss Detected' message comes from a decoder/satellite receiver, am curious how the bars appeared first.

Main feed goes to bars, ITV pres switch the reserve just as it goes to the Signal Loss screen?
Write that down in your copybook now.
IS
Inspector Sands
IIRC they had two uplinks and the thunderstorm was so big it took out both

Yes, both SIS Live uplinks suffered from rain fade from memory. No fibre backup at the time.

Yes it was at the Hammersmith Apollo I think so there was no existing connectivity. Did they install some afterwards?

The 'Signal Loss Detected' message comes from a decoder/satellite receiver, am curious how the bars appeared first.

Main feed goes to bars, ITV pres switch the reserve just as it goes to the Signal Loss screen?

Yes, that sounds like it. Would explain why some regions saw different things too.
VA
valley
IIRC they had two uplinks and the thunderstorm was so big it took out both

Yes, both SIS Live uplinks suffered from rain fade from memory. No fibre backup at the time.

Yes it was at the Hammersmith Apollo I think so there was no existing connectivity. Did they install some afterwards?

Yes, it’s on (now NEP Connect’s) Anylive fibre network now.
GE
thegeek Founding member London London
The 'Meida City' bars are usually seen on a loss of input on a particular kind of encoder - I've seen them often on BT's MPLS network but I guess SISlive/NEP Connect use the same.
UKnews, Inspector Sands and bilky asko gave kudos
TV
TVEngineer London London
I can't say for sure but I'd imagine one satellite signal was received at the SIS/NEP downlink facility in Salford and on-passed by line booking to Red Bee. The second path may have been downlinked direct by Red Bee themselves. That would certainly explain the different behaviour on the different circuits and why "meida city" was briefly visible on air. The "loss of signal" message in that style is a standard Ericsson RX8200 message - an IRD commonly installed in downlink facilities.

Their solution for the following day's broadcast was to bring another satellite truck on site bringing the total to three on different satellites - I don't think anyone in the industry was entirely convinced this would have helped them the night before as luck was definitely not with them - but of course they had to be seen to be doing something.
I work in telly, I sometimes get time to watch telly. More of a technology geek than a presentation geek!
UKnews, Steve in Pudsey and valley gave kudos
CO
commseng London London
Sounds exactly right.
I vaugely recall getting a call asking if we could supply another backup that didn't involve a satellite link - possibly a radio link into BT Tower or to somewhere else with fibre connectivity, but that didn't get followed up.
I think there was a bit of a panic after the event!
EL
elmarko Central Reporting Scotland
So is all that stuff in the delivery guidelines about multi-path redundancy just waived off then sometimes?

That sounds like a bit of a harsh question, but I am somewhat intrigued. Why did anyone think a third truck was a good idea?
AA
aaronspence
Would microwave to BT tower stood up to the heavy rain better than Ku satellite?
SP
Steve in Pudsey Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
I know UKI-1 (a massive dish on a trailer, the UK's first transportable uplink) has been used to combat rain fade as a downlink before but I guess the size of the dish has more impact on the receive end rather than transmit?
Write that down in your copybook now.
AA
aaronspence
Quick look on their website, 1.8m is their biggest uplink truck advertised. Though I beleive NEP 58 has 2x 2.4m dishes on it, it's their European Tour golf uplink truck.
GE
thegeek Founding member London London
I know UKI-1 (a massive dish on a trailer, the UK's first transportable uplink) has been used to combat rain fade as a downlink before but I guess the size of the dish has more impact on the receive end rather than transmit?

I think UKI-1 is still in use at NEP's dish farm in "Meida City" these days (strictly speaking in Trafford but controlled from over the canal, which is Salford) but but I'm not sure if it goes out on the road anymore.
Would microwave to BT tower stood up to the heavy rain better than Ku satellite?

More importantly, can you see it from Hammersmith?
IS
Inspector Sands

Probably as it wouldn't be firing at an angle into the cloud. However a microwave link needs line of site so that means getting a dish up very high. Which is a bit of a iffy thing to do when there's a thunderstorm.

Not that I imagine a microwave link from there would be easy even with a tall mast, there's that great big shopping centre in the way for a start

Newer posts