Media Websites

Twitter (and other social media) Gold Thread

Sharing the best from Twitter... before closing time! (April 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
Duncan Newmarch on what continuity announcers do all day....

CO
Colm
An excellent and informative thread from Duncan today.
MM
MMcG198
Over the last few days over on the Clean Feed Twitter account, we've been posting recreations of the clocks used by NI and Scotland on BBC Two during the 86 - 91 era. The tweets prompted this contribution - the real mccoy from Wales:

NW
nwtv2003
Video of which, has now been added:

8 days later

TI
TIGHazard
This article was posted on Reddit today.

https://www.bettingdoctor.co.uk/blog/how-eastenders-helped-one-lucky-punter-win-194000/

Quote:

“A 40-year-old night-shift worker from Newport in South Wales walked into his local betting shop on December 30th 1989 and staked £30 on an accumulator, which banked on a series of happenings before the turn of the millennium."

“The punter’s prayers were with Cliff Richard (4-1) being knighted, U2 (3-1) remaining a pop group, Eastenders (5-1) still being around as a BBC soap opera, and both Neighbours (5-1) and Home Away (8-1) remaining on our British television screens."

“Remarkably, all his prayers were answered, and two days into the new millennium he walked back into the shop and asked for his winnings, which amounted to £194,400."

“Nobody had passed on the bet to head office, but after a couple of days it was confirmed as a bona fide transaction, and the punter was duly paid out, his 6,479-1 accumulator still being the largest novelty killing in the history of bookmaking."

If the Channel 5 poaches Home and Away deal happened a year earlier, he would have lost.

As the show was off air for 12 months and it needed to still be on British screens around the 1st January 2000.
DE88, Josh and paul_hadley gave kudos

8 days later

SP
Spencer
This has kept popping up on my timeline today...

TV ain’t what it used to be.

Thank goodness.
NW
nwtv2003
It was this very tweet as to why Barrymore was trending earlier on today.
LL
Larry the Loafer
Am I the only person who finds they can only watch this once and never again?
SP
Spencer
Am I the only person who finds they can only watch this once and never again?

I think you've done well if you've managed to get through the whole thing once.
SO
Soupnzi
Some of us remember this from the time....and it seemed almost as weird back then (1998/9 I assume,
as it charted in 1997....so right at the end of Barrymore’s ITV career).

But there is a more jaw-dropping performance... Barrymore doing Everybody (Backstreet’s Back). If anyone ever tracks that down- and I’ve never seen it on the internet despite searching for 20 years- it will go absolutely viral.
ST
steveboswell
For those of you that are brave enough, there's also a recording of Barrymore singing the closing theme to The Family Ness (which he recorded as a B-side for one of his hits) on YouTube.

Yes, The Family Ness.
LL
Larry the Loafer
Some of us remember this from the time....and it seemed almost as weird back then (1998/9 I assume,
as it charted in 1997....so right at the end of Barrymore’s ITV career).

But there is a more jaw-dropping performance... Barrymore doing Everybody (Backstreet’s Back). If anyone ever tracks that down- and I’ve never seen it on the internet despite searching for 20 years- it will go absolutely viral.

Without sounding pedantic, his career went on for a couple more years after that. As for the Backstreet Boys moment, there's a snippet here at 4:54 and 7:34. I still can't really tell if he's larking about or he wanted this to be taken at face value, but it's still an odd sight.

Newer posts