The Newsroom

BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards

From Monday 15th July 2019 (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BB
bbc247
For those whom are so interested in seeing some of the old schedule return, this might come as some hope for you:

I wonder if the current set up will remain and the presenter of the One will do Afternoon Live? Although if Afternoon Live is 2-5 same as before it's more likely the same person will do the One and the 5pm hour. Unless of course Huw comes back to do the 5pm hour.

It baffles me how they are trying to reduce costs but we still often have 3 different presenters doing the network bulletins.

Could be simplified to have the 1 & 5 and 6 & 10 paired together (or 1 & 6 and 5 & 10 if Huw continues doing the 5). You only need two presenters for the network bulletins.
JF
JF World News
For those whom are so interested in seeing some of the old schedule return, this might come as some hope for you:

I wonder if the current set up will remain and the presenter of the One will do Afternoon Live? Although if Afternoon Live is 2-5 same as before it's more likely the same person will do the One and the 5pm hour. Unless of course Huw comes back to do the 5pm hour.

It baffles me how they are trying to reduce costs but we still often have 3 different presenters doing the network bulletins.

Could be simplified to have the 1 & 5 and 6 & 10 paired together (or 1 & 6 and 5 & 10 if Huw continues doing the 5). You only need two presenters for the network bulletins.
Or 9 & 1 and 5 & 10 because I think George only does one programme a day.

Kasia's also hinted that World News Today is returning soon and the minor change to schedule maybe correct
:-(
A former member

Studio B lives on!

Their most versatile studio, literally made of big screens, and they wheel in some old-fashioned looking plasmas and a pull-up banner. Baffling.
CA
Cardiffian

Remember that newsreaders don't 'just do' the 1/6/10. For the 6 and 10 there is quite a lot of prep involved. I'm sure I saw a short documentary a few years back, with Huw saying he got in at midday to start the day prepping for the 10, and Sophie got in at breakfast time to prep for the 1.
The evening bulletins aren't as separate and distinct as they were 10 years ago but they still should have separate presenters imo.

And how often was Huw seen on the 5 before Covid? It was becoming an increasing rarity to see him on it, even on days when he was doing the 10. Of course if the 1 and 5 are done by the same person, you have the complication of who covers the 6:30-7pm half hour on the NC when Fiona Bruce is doing the 6 (assuming the 6 presenter would stay on to fill it).
:-(
A former member
Why does the Ten need its presenter to spend 10 hours preparing for it? The difference in prep between the Ten and, say, the 9am hour doesn’t exactly come across on screen.

Not doubting it of course but not really understanding the difference when an hour of the news channel is pretty similar to the viewer to the Ten these days.
JO
Jonwo
Why does the Ten need its presenter to spend 10 hours preparing for it? The difference in prep between the Ten and, say, the 9am hour doesn’t exactly come across on screen.

Julie Etchingham mentioned on a MediaMasters podcast that on a quiet news day at ITV News, she would come in for the editorial meeting at 1130 but there are days if she has to film links for the Tonight programme where she comes in a bit later so it's not exclusive to BBC News that the 10 presenter is there all day.
JF
JF World News

Not doubting it of course but not really understanding the difference when an hour of the news channel is pretty similar to the viewer to the Ten these days.

The Nine has a different format to One, Six and Ten. More focused on rolling news and long-form interviews, like the Five
DE
deejay

Studio B lives on!

Their most versatile studio, literally made of big screens, and they wheel in some old-fashioned looking plasmas and a pull-up banner. Baffling.

The studio and gallery are currently mothballed with the set standing for the time being. It looks like this was a hire of the space without the technical facilities, presumably with stand alone cameras, set elements and their own lighting. Remember there is a limit on the number of production people in the building at the moment and so they won’t have been able to hire the space with Gallery and the Floor technical staff to get the studio lit and set up.

This kind of four-wall use of studio space isn’t that uncommon.
RN
Rolling News
Surely if the Ten presenter is also doing the Six they can’t be spending 10 hours prepping for the Ten, as they’re prepping for the Six most of the day? So only spend 3-4 hours at most prepping for the Ten. And obviously if Huw is doing the Five he is spending most of the day getting ready for that?

(Sorry if I sound a bit clueless).
RN
Rolling News

I agree I don’t see a difference in prep, and I’m sure I heard somewhere the News Channel presenters don’t get into the building until about 2 hours before they go on air.
JF
JF World News
Surely if the Ten presenter is also doing the Six they can’t be spending 10 hours prepping for the Ten, as they’re prepping for the Six most of the day? So only spend 3-4 hours at most prepping for the Ten. And obviously if Huw is doing the Five he is spending most of the day getting ready for that?

He also has editorial input and writes scripts, Newsnight comes in at the same time as Hwu, Six & Ten are same production team. Think Victoria gets in about 5am to prepare for the nine. Breakfast start preparing as soon as ten goes off but presenters get in about 3-4am
Last edited by JF World News on 10 September 2020 8:58pm - 3 times in total
RN
Rolling News

He also has editorial input and writes scripts, Newsnight comes in at the same time as Hwu, Six & Ten are same production team. Think Victoria gets in about 5am to prepare for the nine. Breakfast start preparing as soon as ten goes off but presenters get in about 3-4am

You've edited your post 3 times but still can't spell 'Huw' properly. Wink

Newer posts