TV Home Forum

Britain's Got Talent 2020 Set Design- Discussion

(July 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Josh

BR
Brekkie
Sickening. Racism is getting more and more entrenched in society.
WH
what
Argos got complaints to Ofcom about one of their adverts too.
JC
JCB

Don't worry, the BBC's incoming ''both sides'' approach to comedy will fix everything.
JO
Jon

I’m not sure society is more racist, it’s just that social media has given racists a platform to connect and build as a community to reaffirm their views.

That said I imagine these complaints are from people who don’t understand that ‘Black Lives Matter’ means ‘Black Lives Matter Too’ and ironically and wrongly think it’s a racist movement.
NL
Ne1L C
Evening all.

Just been reading the posts. Its a fascinating subject but I'm just a bit concerned that the mods may get involved because some of the posts aren't about BGT at all.
JO
Jon
Evening all.

Just been reading the posts. Its a fascinating subject but I'm just a bit concerned that the mods may get involved because some of the posts aren't about BGT at all.

Good Evening,

In my view it all relates to the complaints that were received about Britain’s Got Talent. It’s very much broadcast related.

If the mods get involved, that’s up to them.
NL
Ne1L C
Before I come to the crux of the post I feel I have to put in the following riders

1. I believe ALL forms of discrimination are abhorrent.
2. I don't watch BGT because I find such programmes cruel and exploitative so my post is based on what happened ex post facto.
3.Ashley Banjo, Diversity and Alesha Dixon have the right to express themselves. As have we all.
4.I believe that MOST of the calls made to OFCOM were of a racist nature.

That last rider is the most important because it links into the main body of my post. BGT is ostensibly an entertainment show for Saturday night when people just want to relax after a hard week and not have any socio-political views on screen in front of them. I believe some of the calls were complaining not because of the act itself but because of the perceived unsuitability of such an act during primetime.

I'm sure that neither ITV or Syco Productions meant to cause such a furore but if ITV had had some kind of warning by the CA before the show started saying that the following programme does have the act and may contain themes some may find offensive then possibly some of the anger could have been nullified.
TVViewer256, Alfie Mulcahy and DeMarkay gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
If TV programmes have to start putting out warnings that they may offend racists then we have truly failed as a society.

ITV, BGT and Diversity are in no way to blame for the complaints, which will almost certainly be thrown out without investigation by OFCOM as there is no breech of any code.

Those hiding behind the "family entertainment" excuse weren't complaining when Strictly or indeed BGT themselves hadcroutines which were more serious in nature, something that happens frequently on entertainment shows as entertainment doesn't always have to be shallow - from time to time it is a perfect tool to make you think.

Quite sad really we've come from a place 13-14 years ago when 50,000 complained to OFCOM about racism in Celebrity Big Brother to a point I'm worried that total could be threatened by people being racist.
Last edited by Brekkie on 11 September 2020 1:40pm
NL
Ne1L C
If TV programmes have to start putting out warnings that they may offend racists then we have truly failed as a society.

ITV, BGT and Diversity are in no way to blame for the complaints, which will almost certainly be thrown out without investigation by OFCOM as there is no breech of any code.

Those hiding behind the "family entertainment" excuse weren't complaining when Strictly or indeed BGT themselves which were more serious in nature, something that happens frequently on entertainment shows as entertainment doesn't always have to be shallow - from time to time it is a perfect tool to make you think.

Quite sad really we've come from a place 13-14 years ago when 50,000 complained to OFCOM about racism in Celebrity Big Brother to a point I'm worried that total could be threatened by people being racist.

I agree with you on that. Entertainment doesn't always have to be "light and fluffy" and I'm sure no-one will be censured. ITV, BGT and Diversity are in that unwanted position of "damned if you do and damned if you don't"

The sad fact is though that many people in this country are a*******s.
Last edited by Ne1L C on 11 September 2020 1:30pm
BR
Brekkie
That "scary dancers" warning was definitely a dig at the complainers. They're probably too busy boycotting Last Night of the Proms tonight to be boycotting BGT anyway.
BR
Brekkie
They've changed the backdrop behind the judges this week from UK landmarks, which didn't really look great on camera, to a more generic animation of the logo.

Newer posts