The Newsroom

NewsNation-new national news channel

Scheduled debut Sept 1 from WGN Chicago (January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MO
Mouseboy33
Is it on a news wheel then or one three hour programme?

There are top stories and they add in "fresh"stories per half hour. And some new segments are plugged in. There are some longer stories at the bottom of the hour. So each hour can stand on its own. So I wouldnt say its a wheel at all. Its definitely say its a 3 hour broadcast. I was kinda surprised how little weather there was, since they were touting weather was going to be a big component. They did go to the meteorologist. But i didnt find to many straight forward forecasts. Rather they covered a few tornado warnings briefly. This may change going forward.
MO
Mouseboy33
Newscastudio has a very nice and detailed article on the new set and the design elements. Also a full look at the graphic elements. They should be interesting reads for us presentation nerds. Cool Included in the article is a part about the moving video wall and the crop circle designed wall. Nice work done by Clickspring. Good read. includes some compilation videos.

Brackets, ‘crop circles’ lay the groundwork for ‘NewsNation’ sets
https://www.newscaststudio.com/2020/09/03/newsnation-set-design-nexstar/
NewsNation’ look uses color and brackets to stand out, frame storytelling
https://www.newscaststudio.com/2020/09/02/newsnation-logo-branding-broadcast-design/
BR
Brekkie
It does look very modern and clean and a bit more creative than many US efforts, but there just something isn't quite right about it for me. It's a bit clinical and cold I feel.

P.S. Did Newscast ever do anything on the new BBC studio?
Last edited by Brekkie on 3 September 2020 8:39pm
CH
Charles
It's an interesting concept. It reminds me a lot of what AJAM was trying to accomplish in trying to put on a sober national newscast on a channel that's still going to be hard for people to find. It averaged a total of 116,000 views last night, so it has a long way to go before making a dent on anything. The Chicago Tribune reports that Nexstar spent $20 million on this whole thing Shocked

https://www.robertfeder.com/2020/09/02/news-nation-premieres-modest-ratings/
RK
Rkolsen
I’d like to know who made the tracked LED panel wall. Seems like either it can’t or they won’t push it together like the much smaller Today Show one.
MO
Mouseboy33
Interesting tidbit from snarky but reputable industry blog FTVLIVE
Quote:
According to one Nexstar insider, it also appears that News Nation will be getting first dibs on the breaking news shot by the Nexstar stations around the country.

A source tells FTVLive that the Nexstar stations have been told that breaking news video goes to News Nation first and is not to be shared with the cable news nets until after seen on News Nation.

As expected this moved has caused problems.

As first reported by FTV LIVE
Quote:
FTVLive was the FIRST to tell you that for some reason, Nexstar suits thought it was a good idea to have their stations hold breaking news and other videos from CNN and their networks, just so their start-up cable newscast, News Nation would have it first.

News Nation airs as a 3-hour national newscast on WGN America to about 60,000 people across the country.

Nexstar told all their stations to not give CNN or the networks any video and it is now blowing up in their face.

CNN has fired back by barring Nexstar stations from using its video and as one Nexstar manager said to FTVLive it is now a “complete ****.”

Producers are scrambling to find video for stories in their newscasts and stations like WGN (Chicago) and KTLA (LA) are really feeling the pinch. Neither of those stations is network affiliates, so they can’t fall back on ABC or NBC for their video.

“This was screwed up from the beginning and now we’re paying for it,” said one Nexstar News Director to FTVLive.
London Lite, Brekkie and NYTV gave kudos
NY
NYTV
That "breaking news goes to News Nation" edict will blow up in their faces when it comes time to renew affiliation deals with the networks since that move affect their independent stations (including home base at WGN Chicago) the hardest
NY
NYTV
It does look very modern and clean and a bit more creative than many US efforts, but there just something isn't quite right about it for me. It's a bit clinical and cold I feel.

P.S. Did Newscast ever do anything on the new BBC studio?

I think News Nation is good but there's no big name like an Anna Ford or a John Suchet or a Huw Edwards type to lead it, unlike CBS This Morning's 2012 relaunch that featured Charlie Rose.
And, Newscast has done writeups on the BBC before
https://www.newscaststudio.com/?s=BBC
RK
Rkolsen
NYTV posted:
That "breaking news goes to News Nation" edict will blow up in their faces when it comes time to renew affiliation deals with the networks since that move affect their independent stations (including home base at WGN Chicago) the hardest

CNN already pulled their Newsource contract, they can’t login or download content. This screws up the independent stations and ones affiliated with the CW that aren’t part of a duopoly.
Jeffmister, NYTV and Mouseboy33 gave kudos
NY
NYTV
NYTV posted:

CNN already pulled their Newsource contract, they can’t login or download content. This screws up the independent stations and ones affiliated with the CW that aren’t part of a duopoly.

On September 9th FTVLive followed-up in a report on its Patreon page that Fox may be locking out its Nexstar affiliates from using its videosource as retaliation for the policy of holding videos until after it aired on NewsNation with the other networks reportedly "exploring" the option as well.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/could-more-shoes-41448479 (h/t Kenneth Kissell at TVNewstalk )
LL
London Lite Founding member
From what I've seen of NewsNation, it feels like they've spent $20m just to put on local anchors, but the set is very nice in comparison to some of the local station sets.
RK
Rkolsen
From what I've seen of NewsNation, it feels like they've spent $20m just to put on local anchors, but the set is very nice in comparison to some of the local station sets.

That’s kind of my feelings. They want to play they should have brought in network caliber talent (or N.Y. or LA or Chicago) or the kind that have the ability to grow into that. But they specifically didn’t want that apparently to let the news be the story. They did one or two former network correspondents.
Jeffmister and London Lite gave kudos

Newer posts