The Newsroom

Sky News | October 2019 Onwards

New Westminster Studio and Kay Burley Launch - 1st Sept 2020

WH
what West Country (East) Points West
I know we don’t really discuss news-gathering on a pres forum, but quite odd they’re covering the Suffolk school shooting via their reporter sitting at home in West London, especially as it’s their top story. Given that’s it’s acceptable to have a location reporter on a mobile now (as the BBC had by 1300), it just seems strange. Sky used to make a big thing of winning on stories like this.

They have to be careful with stories like this as often the eyewitnesses are legally minors and I think broadcasters have got into trouble previously for interviewing them without parental consent.

Not the same thing I know, but I’ve been involved in TV shows when I was younger, and I don’t remember my parents ever being asked to sign a release.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today
There's a difference between "release" for appearing on TV because you are an eyewitness to something (or you're in the news for some other reason), appearing on TV because you're being paid to be on TV (ie an actor) and appearing on TV because you're partaking in a show as a contestant on 50/50 or whatever.
SO
Soupnzi London London
I know we don’t really discuss news-gathering on a pres forum, but quite odd they’re covering the Suffolk school shooting via their reporter sitting at home in West London, especially as it’s their top story. Given that’s it’s acceptable to have a location reporter on a mobile now (as the BBC had by 1300), it just seems strange. Sky used to make a big thing of winning on stories like this.

They have to be careful with stories like this as often the eyewitnesses are legally minors and I think broadcasters have got into trouble previously for interviewing them without parental consent.

They know the law. There haven’t been any recent examples of this (inc after the Leeds school incident in 2014). Sky eventually got a reporter to Suffolk in the end, so not sure what was going on
SK
skyviewer
Is this Newshour at 6 branding new ?
BB
BBI45 Central (East) East Midlands Today

I can't remember ever seeing it before.
And of course, the thing you must not do if the ape is enraged is the Macarena.
CW
CraigWills Tyne Tees Look North (North East)

I believe so yes. So you have “The News Hour” 5pm-6pm and “News Hour at 6” 6pm-7pm. I’m pretty sure Mark has always referred to it as “the news hour at xx” Branding at Sky is becoming a bit messy.
(I can’t see the photo posted but I’ve checked the live stream)
Universal_r, skyviewer and Meridian AM gave kudos
MA
Meridian AM Meridian (South) South Today

I believe so yes. So you have “The News Hour” 5pm-6pm and “News Hour at 6” 6pm-7pm. I’m pretty sure Mark has always referred to it as “the news hour at xx” Branding at Sky is becoming a bit messy.

How messy!
I just don't understand all this 'news hour' business during those two hours.
It’s a 24 hour news channel, where every hour is an hour of news!
Or are they going to start showing comedies or soaps outside of 5 - 7pm? "Sky News Mix"?
Brekkie and Universal_r gave kudos
SO
Soupnzi London London

How messy!
Or are they going to start showing comedies or soaps outside of 5 - 7pm? "Sky News Mix"?

0700-1000 is a comedy I think. The main protagonist is a mixture of Hyacinth Bucket and David Brent.
FelixJBAuk and Meridian AM gave kudos
NE
News96 Look North (Yorkshire)
With Janey Godley thrown in for good measure!

AS
AlexS Central (East) Midlands Today

How messy!

I don't understand it in the context of the current Sky schedule, but I could see how such titling could work on a news channel more generally.
If a channel had numerous hours with special focuses whether that be business, politics, sport, entertainment, solely domestic stories, debate, or any other subcategory of news, and a couple of hours where the agenda was solely determined by the top stories of the day whatever sub category of news they happen to fall into using such a title may well make sense.
MA
Meridian AM Meridian (South) South Today

How messy!

0700-1000 is a comedy I think. The main protagonist is a mixture of Hyacinth Bucket and David Brent.

Not sure about 'comedy'; more like a 'tragedy' Very Happy
FelixJBAuk and Soupnzi gave kudos
DE
derek500 West Country (West) Points West
I notice Lisa Holland is now Climate Change Correspondent. What happened to Hannah Thomas-Peter who got the job in 2019?

Newer posts