TV Home Forum

German Television and Presentation

Discussion relating to TV in Germany (August 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TW
twolf
A very good compilation of current German TV News openings from all channels from user "tevebits"

TW
twolf
You may detect I'm a great fan of Schlag Den Raab.
Using the dark arts of the Internet I watched many episodes live - and can attest to still watching one edition after midnight UK time!

Are you still a fan of the format now it's just 'Schlag den Star' where two celebrities face off against each other and there's no involvement from Raab?

I still really enjoy it, much better than the few episodes where they changed it to 'Schlag den Henssler', which saw members of the public face off against Steffen Henssler. I didn't think he suited the format at all, and was much better on the cooking shows as a celebrity chef.

Last night's episode ran until 1:20am German time - so lasted just over 5 hours! It was one of the best episodes in a long time in my opinion - and shows that its much more about casting the right personalities who are matched well against each other rather than particular sporty people etc.
TH
Thinker
twolf posted:
German entertainment shows do tend to be very long, sometimes the whole evening. I think having the longer advert breaks, but often less of them also really isn't too bad. Often, on RTL, in a Saturday Evening show like 'Denn Sie Wissen Nicht Was Passiert', there won't be any adverts at all for the first 45 - 60 minutes which lets the show get going well, and then later on there will be adverts more often.

German TV shows seem to generally be about 50 percent longer. A 60 minute drama becomes 90 minutes when made in Germany. The big two-hour Saturday entertainment show spreads across three hours.

Personally, I get somewhat bored with the stand-alone 90 minute dramas like Tatort and Polizeiruf where the main story rarely needs those 90 minutes. On the other hand, one good aspect of German scheduling is that they also have 45-50 minute dramas where the story moves on at a good pace, making shows like Charité and Weissensee really enjoyable.

The big three-hour shows are a slog. The main problem is that they rarely have content to fill those hours, especially if you don't care about the featured celebrities. I was once tricked into watching Verstehen Sie Spass? where the main draw is candid camera-like skits. But they can obviously not film enough skits to fill three hours, so there was a lot of unrelated filler between each skit.

Wer wird Millionär? with Günther Jauch is probably one of the best versions of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? so the programme itself is perfectly enjoyable. But the fact that it is two hours long with very long ad breaks makes it feel disjointed.
BB
BBI45
Looks like ZDF Moma has launched it's new look this morning. I haven't been able to find video of the studio yet. However, the refreshed news update has been shared.

SH
Sh1ruba
BBI45 posted:
Looks like ZDF Moma has launched it's new look this morning. I haven't been able to find video of the studio yet. However, the refreshed news update has been shared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urFpggjYlfA

Sounds like a new version of the theme music
SH
Sh1ruba
Here's the launch of the new ZDF moma.

BB
BBI45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKwyuKujjVw

I think that is one of the best intros I've ever seen.
chillmal_ and Brekkie gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Looks very nice indeed, though that clip gives us the impression the sofa is so expensive they're only allowed to look at it, not sit on it.
ST
steveboswell
BBI45 posted:
I think that is one of the best intros I've ever seen.

It's like a much more refined version of this... Laughing

Sh1ruba, DeMarkay and BBI45 gave kudos
BB
BBI45
MI
mici0123
uhhh ... looks like 'ZDF heute live' already has the new on screen look. The rest is probably gonna follow step by step now.
AN
all new Phil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKwyuKujjVw

Looks great. Not too keen on the desk but everything else looks brilliant.

Newer posts