TV Home Forum

Tim Davie Appointed BBC Director General

(June 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PE
Peter
I'm not worried about left wing or right wing jokes however you define them. However if all the jokes come from the same direction it gets rather tedious. They also have to be funny - during the Gulf war (lets go back some way) there was far too much polemic. However comments looking at issues from a fresh direction can be very interesting. Maybe not left wing but left field.

As an example, some shows - the Mash Report, Newsjack on the radio come to mind seem to have endless jokes knocking men but none women. Yes thee are more men in senior positions but fewer men go to university, and tend to fare worse in recessions (I'd be very happy to be proved wrong.) I really hate the "foreigners coming over to take our jobs" being a liberal myself but if I were an unemployed young man hearing about industry after industry claiming that they want to attract more women I might be a bit upset. Yes attack pompous men but don't get tedious.

If I were the Government I might look at Ofcom which have very liberal views on diversity. (I'm not certainly saying that this is wrong, just an observation.) The BBC is looking to move more operations out of London but to apply a mix of diversity seen in the capital!

Is the issue that BoJo doesn't like criticism?
AndrewPSSP and Ne1L C gave kudos
SP
Steve in Pudsey
There was plenty of comedy about Theresa May when she was PM
NL
Ne1L C
Peter posted:
I'm not worried about left wing or right wing jokes however you define them. However if all the jokes come from the same direction it gets rather tedious. They also have to be funny - during the Gulf war (lets go back some way) there was far too much polemic. However comments looking at issues from a fresh direction can be very interesting. Maybe not left wing but left field.

As an example, some shows - the Mash Report, Newsjack on the radio come to mind seem to have endless jokes knocking men but none women. Yes thee are more men in senior positions but fewer men go to university, and tend to fare worse in recessions (I'd be very happy to be proved wrong.) I really hate the "foreigners coming over to take our jobs" being a liberal myself but if I were an unemployed young man hearing about industry after industry claiming that they want to attract more women I might be a bit upset. Yes attack pompous men but don't get tedious.

If I were the Government I might look at Ofcom which have very liberal views on diversity. (I'm not certainly saying that this is wrong, just an observation.) The BBC is looking to move more operations out of London but to apply a mix of diversity seen in the capital!

Is the issue that BoJo doesn't like criticism?

"Left field" is an interesting concept. British comedy has become stale and not just as a result of the political culture. The UK is still a "conservative" nation and is somewhat resistant to new ideas which is why to my mind we have this "one way traffic" of jokes.

Now as I said in a prior post the notion of "left and right" has moved on dramatically from what I recalled it to be and I daresay that notion is shared by many people. Its that regressive nature which has led to the rise of "wokeness" (which I think is a horrible word).

The BBC's desire to apply "diversity" to other parts of the UK is an odd one to say the least. London is one of the most diverse cities in the world and the UK is a very diverse country.

What is needed is not more diversity but an injection of new ideas to balance out the diversity. That's where the notion of "left field" could play a role.

I agree that Bojo simply doesn't like criticism.
EL
elmarko
I cannot believe this turned into what it turned into when it was an absolute horses*** story in the first place.

Also I wish people knew more about psychology as it would help explain a lot of these reactions and the ideology behind them. Edit: and also, you know *gestures at the world*
Night Thoughts, Inspector Sands and dosxuk gave kudos
NL
Ne1L C
The Express has this article claiming that the BBC is considering a two-tier service:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1332074/bbc-licence-fee-tv-license-fee-two-tier-premium-standard-tim-davie
CM
cmthwtv
The Express has this article claiming that the BBC is considering a two-tier service:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1332074/bbc-licence-fee-tv-license-fee-two-tier-premium-standard-tim-davie

Do you unlock the higher tier by being able to make it to the bottom of an Express article without an advert covering the screen?
NL
Ne1L C

Do you unlock the higher tier by being able to make it to the bottom of an Express article without an advert covering the screen?

Its either that or collect all the chaos emeralds.
Ittr, TVMan and Rexogamer gave kudos
IE
iee_reith

Not sure how that might work (if it’s true). Davie committed himself to a universal service. I sometimes think viewers and listeners could be reminded of what they’re paying for. Some of the public (especially those hostile to the Beeb) seem to think, perhaps not unfairly, that the “TV Licence” just funds TV. Radio somehow is thought to be free and online is barely considered.

Now that Charlotte Moore is Chief Content Officer, perhaps TV and radio will work as one and can complement each other more often - e.g. Question Time and Radio 5 Live’s Question Time Extra Time . You could put Radio 1/1xtra/Asian Network/BBC Three commissioning teams together, for example, and cross-promote a little more.
NL
Ne1L C

Not sure how that might work (if it’s true). Davie committed himself to a universal service. I sometimes think viewers and listeners could be reminded of what they’re paying for. Some of the public (especially those hostile to the Beeb) seem to think, perhaps not unfairly, that the “TV Licence” just funds TV. Radio somehow is thought to be free and online is barely considered.

Now that Charlotte Moore is Chief Content Officer, perhaps TV and radio will work as one and can complement each other more often - e.g. Question Time and Radio 5 Live’s Question Time Extra Time . You could put Radio 1/1xtra/Asian Network/BBC Three commissioning teams together, for example, and cross-promote a little more.

Neither do i to be honest (if it is true). One theory I have is that there could be a "BBC Basic" with the likes of Eastenders, Strictly etc and a "BBC Select"

But I can't honestly see many paying for a "select" service.
Last edited by Ne1L C on 6 September 2020 8:39pm - 3 times in total
JetixFann450 and iee_reith gave kudos
NL
Ne1L C
Sorry couldn't resist Embarassed

https://www.flickr.com/photos/91576547@N04/50313329377/in/dateposted-public/
Rexogamer and iee_reith gave kudos
OM
Omnipresent
Regarding cross-commissioning and promotion between BBC Radio and TV, history is repeating itself to an extent.

In the 1990s, there was the Top Of The Pops radio show on Radio 1 on a Sunday afternoon. BBC Choice had a short-lived series, Radio 1 TV.

There does seem to be a little more co-operation between different news programmes. I've heard Newsnight's political editor Nicholas Watt file reports for the Today programme, for example.
iee_reith and Ne1L C gave kudos
NL
Ne1L C
Not sure if this is in the same vein but there was also the behind the scenes look at DrWho on BBC 3 during the tennant period
JetixFann450 and iee_reith gave kudos

Newer posts